Why become a member? ×

Should I get a back up head?

ashevans09

Heya,

I'll be heading out on tour this August (11 dates I think, will be driving around in a van etc), and I'll be taking my Mesa 400+ out with me since (fair enough) the headliners only want to supply a cab for the bassists. Currently the head is being serviced so it will be in good nick before heading out, but I was just wondering if it's worth picking up a cheap, preferably second hand head should it decide to pack up and die mid tour? I'm going to flightcase it and treat it as carefully as possible, but since this is my first time on the road I'm not entirely sure what I should be preparing for. Anyone with any advice would be greatly appreciated :) .

Thanks,

Ash

Good evening, Ash...
If you have the space in the truck and a budget which allows for this, I can't see why you'd not do it (similar philosophy as 'If you want peace, prepare for war'...). If no space and/or budget, the question resolves of it's own accord. A loan of a head, rather than an acquisition, could be a softer blow, unless you're going to be continuing after this tour with others of the same ilk.
Do it if you can; I hope you don't need to call upon a spare.

Edited by Dad3353

Unless you specifically want another head, I'm sure should the worst happen, you could loan one, either from another band, or from anyone local to your gig on here.

I'm one to talk though, I've got 3 at the mo :( bad spendthrift me. Naughty.

Edited by Wooks79

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1335978329' post='1638991']
Unless you specifically want another head, I'm sure should the worst happen, you could loan one, either from another band, or from anyone local to your gig on here.
[/quote]

+1 to that.. ive always thought that if i ever got to a gig and there was i problem, it would deffo be worth a punt posting on here if i was away from home. Theres some real gems on this here forum :)

A back-up head is worth having, as is, assuming you`re playing venues with a house pa, a DI Pedal, such as a Sansamp/MXR M80/Behringer BDI21 in the chain. Amp goes, swap the DI lead from the amp to the pedal, you still have front of house for the rest of the night, then the next day to resource an amp if needed.

Heya,

Thanks for all the good advice guys :) , seems pretty reasonable. I guess I'll hold off then (unless a stupidly cheap Hartke LH500 comes up, love those things and would keep it anyway!) .Also anyone know a decent and reasonably priced place I can get a flight case for it? It's currently in an enclosure built by matamp and I'd like to keep it there rather than racking it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1335980466' post='1639067']
A back-up head is worth having, as is, assuming you`re playing venues with a house pa, a DI Pedal, such as a Sansamp/MXR M80/Behringer BDI21 in the chain. Amp goes, swap the DI lead from the amp to the pedal, you still have front of house for the rest of the night, then the next day to resource an amp if needed.
[/quote]

Good shout, hadn't actually thought of including one in my chain! Thank you for the advice :) . Ash

Firstly im jealous you are on tour - i wish iwas asking this question lol.

There has to be space for a spare head in the van, surely?

Yes, get a backup. Anything SS around 500 watts will be better than no sound if the worse happens on the night.

Dont get caught out - it takes less than 5 mins to swap heads. Ive had to before.

Cheers

Geoff

I'm with Lozz on this - taking a Sansamp or similar is a no-brainer, and it'll fit in your gig-bag as well.

If you want an actual head, then obviously it's all about the budget. If you can afford it, the Gallien Kruger MB500 is an excellent option.

If you want a spare head, you could always get a micro head. GK do the MB200 which is a nice little head, has a DI, it's tiny and weighs nothing so you could keep it in your gig bag. Also pretty cheap. I'm sure there's other similar products that are available if you don't fancy the GK. Failing that, a DI pedal never hurts.

From a band POV...you might want decent pre's and a power amp. That way it covers quite a few basses.

If you are travelling with the P.A crew then you might want to find out what they carry spare. in that regard.
If it were me, I'd take a Tone hammer and maybe connect it to an available power amp but then if space allowed, I'd throw in
my stereo bass amp as that could be used for quite a few things

When on tour I always took a back up, just because you never know and its good to be prepared. Just find a half-decent solid state head for £200 or so (Trace Elliot/Ashdown/Hartke/Peavey etc). Also I found it handy to loan out when headlining and every other band didn't bring any amps. Rather that than my good amp!

If you take a Sansamp as a backup you've got to ensure that you can easily switch it into the system if the main amp fails. Your cabs will be silent so most of your monitoring will have gone west. Will the fold back you’ve been given be enough?

I’d take a backup amp and replug it into the system in the event of failure. You will waste 1 min replugging but everything else stays the same.

And don’t forget to sound check the back up source in the FOH and foldback.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1335981648' post='1639107']
Firstly im jealous you are on tour - i wish iwas asking this question lol.

There has to be space for a spare head in the van, surely?

Yes, get a backup. Anything SS around 500 watts will be better than no sound if the worse happens on the night.

Dont get caught out - it takes less than 5 mins to swap heads. Ive had to before.
[/quote]

Thanks :) , and yeah they'll definitely be room. It's going to be horribly cramped anyway, might as well fit in another head! :P . And I guess you're right, better safe than sorry. Being honest the old behringer head I had was pretty good for what it was actually, ended up selling it for £20 (it was a BX3000T or something like that) so if I can pick something up like that I'll be set. Again though, would love to pick up a Hartke - all the heads I've used of theirs have sounded great and frankly if the LH range is good enough for Nathan Watts they're good enough for me :D

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1335983083' post='1639153']
I'm with Lozz on this - taking a Sansamp or similar is a no-brainer, and it'll fit in your gig-bag as well.

If you want an actual head, then obviously it's all about the budget. If you can afford it, the Gallien Kruger MB500 is an excellent option.
[/quote]
[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1335985109' post='1639199']
If you want a spare head, you could always get a micro head. GK do the MB200 which is a nice little head, has a DI, it's tiny and weighs nothing so you could keep it in your gig bag. Also pretty cheap. I'm sure there's other similar products that are available if you don't fancy the GK. Failing that, a DI pedal never hurts.
[/quote]

Duly noted, will get a sansamp or the like. Never really considered GK before, as mentioned I'm learning towards a Hartke. What do they sound like?

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1335997475' post='1639449']
When on tour I always took a back up, just because you never know and its good to be prepared. Just find a half-decent solid state head for £200 or so (Trace Elliot/Ashdown/Hartke/Peavey etc). Also I found it handy to loan out when headlining and every other band didn't bring any amps. Rather that than my good amp!
[/quote]

Fair shout actually, I hated lending my heads to other bands - always dicked about with the tone settings and put beers on top of it etc :angry: .

Again, thank all of you for taking the time to give advice, really appreciate it :) . Seems something lightweight, reasonably powerful and hopefully great sounding is on the cards! Anyone selling? :P

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1335999911' post='1639488']
If you take a Sansamp as a backup you've got to ensure that you can easily switch it into the system if the main amp fails. Your cabs will be silent so most of your monitoring will have gone west. Will the fold back you’ve been given be enough?
[/quote]

Very good question. I'll look into that. I'd imagine it would be - venues are predominantly o2 academies or similar.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1335999911' post='1639488']
I’d take a backup amp and replug it into the system in the event of failure. You will waste 1 min replugging but everything else stays the same.

And don’t forget to sound check the back up source in the FOH and foldback.
[/quote]

Good idea, again, thank you :) I would never have thought of all this stuff!

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1336159472' post='1642028']
Sounds like an ideal job for one of those Harley Benton heads? 500W for like £150 if memory serves, they get great reviews too.
[/quote]

Really? I just assumed they'd be cheap tat. Definitely will have a look, thanks :)