Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Warwick pickups

GregBass

I have a Warwick Corvette passive which plays like a dream, but the sound isn't even across the strings. The E and A strings have that wonderful Warwick growl, but the D and G sound really thin and tinny. Plenty of clang but no depth. I have tried adjusting the pickups, but no joy in equalising the tone across the strings.

Have any of you other Warwick owners seen this, and if so how can I fix it? Alternatively, can anyone suggest replacement pickups that would keep the growl but give me more bass across the range?

[quote name='Teobass88' timestamp='1335823917' post='1636739']
I can tell you this....When I talked about PUps change on a Warwick bass EVERYONE who has did it, in every place, on computer or real life, on every warwick model, has said just three words: "so much better!!"
[/quote]

Changing the pickups in a Warwick seemed to be a bit of a trend about ten years ago. For some reason, people got the idea that MEC's were 'cheap', being Warwick's in-house pickups. I'm not sure where this idea came from, as Warwick don't seem to cut costs elsewhere so I can't see why they would make crap pickups. Rather, some people prefer changing the preamps on their basses but the MEC pickups (and preamps) are generally very good.

That said, the best sounding Warwicks I've heard have had Bartolini pickups, YMMV.

I'd challenge anyone in a blind test to tell the difference between a set of MEC's and a set of pukka EMGs when installed in a Warwick bass and that is regardless of whether it was a recording hosted on the net or (particularly) in a live setting. TBH 'if' there were any difference between them I'd bet you'd hear the same difference between an hours wear on your new strings!

Don't get me wrong I'm not some fawning Warwick fan, I know they have there weaknesses like any bass (jack-socket... JAN II anyone? LOL) but the pups in the top end Warwicks are a matter of taste and one is not better than the other.

Saying that, I've no idea what pups are in the OP's bass so it may be irrelevant! ;)

I put a set of Wizard 84's in my Thumb and they took away from the punchy mids so the MEC's went straight back in, but then different Warwick models vary a lot in their natural midrange so that might only be the case for the Thumb.

GregBass, I'd recommend tweaking your EQ as a first port of call. The 3 basses you have are very different so it's normal that you should have to adjust your amp for each bass.

If this doesn't do the trick you could try raising your pickups on the D and G side, just loosen the pickup screws a little under the D and G and see how it sounds.

If you don't have any joy with that you could try a different gauge of strings, or maybe even a different brand. What gauge and brand of strings are you using at the moment?

[b]Chris2112: [/b]I didn't say cheap, they'r not cheap at all! :o When EMG fished the collaboration with Warwick MEC was born and it's the Warwick itself.
MEC ar close to EMG but, for my ear, very different. Once I've tried a Thumb 6 BO with EMG 45DC....another world! But I don't like so much EMG sound...I heard a bunch of Warwick with Bartolini, Seymour Duncan and Norstrand....and each time, the bass it seemed to be more "open". Low-mid very punchy and high-mids not mudded at all! :shok:

I've made a change with a "botique pickup" so I know that it's quite different between an industrial one, but I can affirm that my Thumb is reborn! Before the change the potential of this instrument was at 60%. And it's a real pity! :sad:

But, obviously, we're talking about feelings and likings...and [i]De gustibus non desputandumm est [/i][i] :)[/i]

I've never had a problem with the MECs in my Warwicks. As a pickup manufacturer, they don't have the prestige of some of the American brands but I don't believe they're an inferior option. In fact, the MEC MM style in the $$ sounded better to my ears than my old Stingray.

[quote name='Teobass88' timestamp='1335859714' post='1636909']

I've made a change with a "botique pickup" so I know that it's quite different between an industrial one, but I can affirm that my Thumb is reborn! Before the change the potential of this instrument was at 60%. And it's a real pity! :sad:

But, obviously, we're talking about feelings and likings...and [i]De gustibus non desputandumm est [/i][i] :)[/i]
[/quote]

Ultimately, whats important is that you are happy with your bass and it does indeed sound very good with the new pickups in it. Personally, I've tried some Warwicks with Seymour Duncans and some I have enjoyed, some not so much. As Warwickhunt has said, you'd be hard pressed to tell MEC's from EMG's especially with less than new strings. But ultimately it all depends on what you're happy with.

[quote name='thumbo' timestamp='1335858038' post='1636878']
I put a set of Wizard 84's in my Thumb and they took away from the punchy mids so the MEC's went straight back in, but then different Warwick models vary a lot in their natural midrange so that might only be the case for the Thumb.

GregBass, I'd recommend tweaking your EQ as a first port of call. The 3 basses you have are very different so it's normal that you should have to adjust your amp for each bass.

If this doesn't do the trick you could try raising your pickups on the D and G side, just loosen the pickup screws a little under the D and G and see how it sounds.

If you don't have any joy with that you could try a different gauge of strings, or maybe even a different brand. What gauge and brand of strings are you using at the moment?
[/quote] Yes ,I agree. Getting the "G" string to sound like a bass is sometimes a job. Make sure the playing action is not too close because fret buzz reduces bass content.

I like MEC pups. I had some in my streamer. I now have Barts.
Both are good, like very good- but I prefer the sound of the barts slightly better- other folk would defenatly prefer the MEC's.
Also it depends on the bass, the barts are 'darker' but this fits with very bright all maple streamer.
If I had something Warwick that wasn't all maple I would stick with the MEC

One thing to think about too is the preamp has very distinctive warwick Eq points. Thats not bad but it does shape the tone a fair bit.

I also realise I don't have a clue if the OP's bass have active MEC's (which I've used) or passive (which I've not)

Luke - the bass in question is passive. I am playing with the EQ to see if I can even out the response, but as the band hasn't rehearsed for a while I haven't had a chance to see how it sounds at playing volume. I practise on headphones, which sounds completely different of course!

According to my experience, changing pickups or preamp are not the main way to change your sound.

The point is : what is your pickup position on your bass ? it is fundamental.
Closer to the bridge or neck ? A Precision can not sound like a Jazz Bass whatever the electronic.

Secondly, Warwick basses have this particular tone. It is obvious with D and G strings.
You do the right thing by getting upper your PU on D and G str.

What wood is used for your warwick body and neck ?

The strings gauge can also change the sound better than preamp.

Conclusion
Your Bass has its personnality (due to PU position and Wood) and no Preamp will definitly change it. You have simpler ways.

Good groove

The D ang G strings on my two active Rockbasses (fretted 5 and fretted 4) have the same "characteristic" to a certain extent, and I found it very noticeable - and a bit irritating - at first.
However, the D and G strings now sound practically as good as the other strings, after I put on D'Addario Chromes on the 5 and T-I flats on the 4. I had already raised the pickups slightly under the D and the G long ago, but I don't think that made a lot of difference.

My fretless 5, which has passive MECs pups and D'Addario Chromes, doesn't have and never had the problem at all.

Edit for clarity: I'm talking about the raw sound, as I don't use any effects at all.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1335857061' post='1636872']
I replaced the pups in my Fortress with a Wizard P/J set, but that was because I was after a particular sound (older-school than the MECs), and I got it.
[/quote]
I've just done the same myself to my Fortress, fitted some PJ Wizard trads and a passive wiring loom...love it so far....difference is night and day to the MEC's but i did like the MEC's too but the Wizards are giving much more warmth and vintage tones which suits my bands needs better.

I've just recently traded a passive corvette and didn't experience or notice the issues the OP is having...maybe i didn't have it long enough to notice but it sounded fine at a gig recently. i remember having issues with the 'G' on a Musicman but thats another post :rolleyes:

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1336472898' post='1645992']
Luke - the bass in question is passive. I am playing with the EQ to see if I can even out the response, but as the band hasn't rehearsed for a while I haven't had a chance to see how it sounds at playing volume. I practise on headphones, which sounds completely different of course!
[/quote] passive as in passive pups and no preamp? hmm, if their is a preamp in there pull the volume to turn it off and see how that effects it. Other than that I would check the string heights. Also check the break angles at both the headstock and bridge end. The bridge is cool that you can effect height an break angle semi- independently. Oh and when you do all this set the EQ flat on your amp... if you're just using headphones it could be something to do with how they process bass frequencies....
[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1336578834' post='1647863']
According to my experience, changing pickups or preamp are not the main way to change your sound.

The point is : what is your pickup position on your bass ? it is fundamental.
Closer to the bridge or neck ? A Precision can not sound like a Jazz Bass whatever the electronic.

Secondly, Warwick basses have this particular tone. It is obvious with D and G strings.
You do the right thing by getting upper your PU on D and G str.

What wood is used for your warwick body and neck ?

The strings gauge can also change the sound better than preamp.

Conclusion
Your Bass has its personnality (due to PU position and Wood) and no Preamp will definitly change it. You have simpler ways.

Good groove
[/quote] yes and no. Wood does have a effect, and pickup position a bigger one- but the pickups in my experience have a massive difference- my warwick with barts is utterly different than with active MEC's- [i] If I [/i]could be bothered I could try seymore duncan, fender, nordies whatever and they all would change the sound- some more than others. Preamp is less vital depending on what you have BUT the EQ point on the MEC preamps are reasonably unique compared to others and give a certain colour to the tone- which is designed to be part of the warwick sound.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1336589977' post='1648132']
passive as in passive pups and no preamp? hmm, if their is a preamp in there pull the volume to turn it off and see how that effects it. Other than that I would check the string heights. Also check the break angles at both the headstock and bridge end. The bridge is cool that you can effect height an break angle semi- independently. Oh and when you do all this set the EQ flat on your amp... if you're just using headphones it could be something to do with how they process bass frequencies....
[/quote]

Indeed, it is purely passive. MEC jazz type pickups, no preamp. I do have an active Corvette too, but its in for a repair at the moment so I can't check it out. I have changed the strings and given the bass a setup. The headphones are for my home practise, and everything sounds good. It's when cranking it out through a full rig that the differences appear between basses. The Rick and Fenders sound fine, but the Warwick goes weedy on the top two strings. I will arrive early for this weekend's rehearsal and see if I can mess with the settings to improve things :)

Edited by GregBass