Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Special

Jamesemt

I've the chance of a 1980 Precision Special in turquoise, which has been well used (not abused, but is quite worn).

Whats the deal with these? Anyone got a ballpark figure for value?

Doesn't have the original case, is active and sounds/plays great. Went into the shop looking for a Yamaha Attitude, thought this was a Fender relic at first...

Anyone know what the neck is, as it's DEFINITELY not a chunky standard precision jobbie - 'A' shape maybe?

It's up at £900 and I get the feeling that's not negotiable. What do you think? Has something a bit special about it.

Edited by Jamesemt

Depends what turquois. is it an origional fender colour, or a refin? it could be ocean turquois, or more likely a lake placid blue or something thats faded. i didn't think the precision special came in that colour, is it matching headstock?

precision special has a jazz bass neck i think, if its the precision special im thinking of.

[quote name='lwtait' post='178071' date='Apr 16 2008, 05:17 PM']Depends what turquois. is it an origional fender colour, or a refin? it could be ocean turquois, or more likely a lake placid blue or something thats faded. i didn't think the precision special came in that colour, is it matching headstock?

precision special has a jazz bass neck i think, if its the precision special im thinking of.[/quote]

Matching headstock, I'll try and sort some photos out in a bit...

[quote name='BassManKev' post='178091' date='Apr 16 2008, 05:36 PM']hmmm, id be inclined to spend your money elsewere to be honest

i mean if you really like it go for it, but ud struggle to sell i would think[/quote]

:) Cheers, any more opinions? Does play really well - best in the shop

I just found it in "The Fender Bass, An Illustrated History", in that exact colour. It says:

"[i]The 1980 Precision Special, available in both Lake Placid blue and candy apple red, was a new addition to the Precision Bass line. Earning its name, this line featured white pickup covers and specially developed active circuit. It also featured a brass bridge with brass and gold parts. A trend om the early 1980s guitar industry, brass was thought to increase sustain - it also increased the instruments weight. And while metals have unique qualities, the wood is the most inportant contributer of the instrument's tone[/i]"

Then under the picture of the one thats the same colour as yours it says:

"[i]This 1980 version of Lake Placid Blue looks more like Ice Blue Metallic from the 1960s[/i]".

That looks like Lake Placid Blue, it's active, very heavy and sounded very good in the 1980's. I got mine in 1985, second hand, in a tweed case for £275. £900!! I suppose they are trying the "vintage" angle. You could probably do better with a cheaper modern bass with the replacement pickups that are available these days.

I had a Walnut one:

..it was fab. The active circuit was great... very natural sounding. It also had the punchiest open E I've ever heard.

I reluctantly sold it a couple of years back because it was so heavy, something which is common to most of the Specials.

IMO £900 is on the high side.

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='178056' date='Apr 16 2008, 05:03 PM']Anyone know what the neck is, as it's DEFINITELY not a chunky standard precision jobbie - 'A' shape maybe?[/quote]

Forgot to mention before... they don't all have A-width necks. Some of them are quite chunky.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='178315' date='Apr 16 2008, 09:04 PM']Forgot to mention before... they don't all have A-width necks. Some of them are quite chunky.[/quote]

Oh bugger it. Am I right in thinking that I like the Precision A shape (ie on any A necked Precision would the neck feel very similar?).

If that's true, what other Precisions should I look at?

From memory, this was one of the nice Precisions of the era (fenders move on the MM market) - if its a real player, ok weight and has aged well I think it'd be a good buy. You should be able to get that price down a bit...and/or some extras?. The only downside I can see is brass hardware can look awful if it gets too grubby!

BB

[quote name='BassBod' post='178335' date='Apr 16 2008, 09:20 PM']From memory, this was one of the nice Precisions of the era (fenders move on the MM market) - if its a real player, ok weight and has aged well I think it'd be a good buy. You should be able to get that price down a bit...and/or some extras?. The only downside I can see is brass hardware can look awful if it gets too grubby!

BB[/quote]

Depends what you mean by aged well - it's well battered and has loads of Mojo (to me at least). Custom shop relic amount of abuse?? Or do they differ too ??

Price wise, they would do a Gator hard case at cost (£35), and post it for me for free (not going back that way). The brass hardware looks well worn/looking silver, but TBH the bass could not be described as grubby - no rusty screws or mank, just well worn

Edited by Jamesemt

:) I like the look of that,mate.My pocket would be seriously twitching if that was in my local store.I think with basses of a certain age,the price is more relative to how much You want it,rather than the overall value of the sum of parts etc.In short,thats a P bass the likes of which you don't see everyday.Quite unique.

I sold one of these for £600 around 8 weeks ago - identical (LPB) but in much better cosmetic shape than that in the photos (and with the brass thumbrest and original case). The circuit had a little damage (easily repairable) and the original pick-up had been swapped for a DiMarzio. In sum, the bass was extremely heavy but played beautifully and sounded great (when the circuit was operational) - the neck was much more slender than a standard precision but not as slender as a Jazz. In my opinion, Specials look really cool and are a real cut above other late '70s and early '80s Precisions (see Hoosiers videos for current users of the CAR version). At £900, I'd say the bass you're considering is over-priced. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see early 80's Fenders (and Specials in particular) continuing to rise in price. I would wait and try to find a cheaper Special (they do become available in the US fairly frequently), however, I know what desire can do...