Why become a member? ×

GAS is ruining my degree

jay

Well, it seems to change with the wind, its almost schizophrenic! But I think I have settled on a Barefaced Cab, which one I just don't know. Also an American Fender precision 62 reissue in sunburst. I also had an attack over an Ashdown evo iii, but that has subsided thank God! Being a student, funds are very low, so anything I want has to be funded by a sale, and I hate selling stuff!

Also, this is only down the road from me!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEI-5-string-jazz-bass-NO-RESERVE-/130682102652?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1e6d42a37c#ht_543wt_1270"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEI-5-string-jazz-bass-NO-RESERVE-/130682102652?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1e6d42a37c#ht_543wt_1270[/url]

you have no money, now one wants to buy your crappy gear anyway, you can't even really play can you. Put the bass down, step away from basschat, ebay and talk bass, oh and Facebook while you're about it... and get on with your work!

(says the fella with 1.5 days to go!)

Just a note that employers don't really understand GAS as a mechanism for why you f***ed up your academic life. We smile, we nod, we think "f***wit", and then pass you out of the building with platitudes and never ring again.

So, how about this - nail your degree; and get yourself something nice, then, as a present for achieving it?

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1335438802' post='1631036']
So, how about this - nail your degree; and get yourself something nice, then, as a present for achieving it?
[/quote]

Sensible, but when I was the OP's age *rambles on about the war* I never listened to any advice whatsoever, and I doubt the OP will, either! Hooray! :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335439042' post='1631045']
Sensible, but when I was the OP's age *rambles on about the war* I never listened to any advice whatsoever, and I doubt the OP will, either! Hooray! :lol:
[/quote]

I thought I'd best try; much like the guys who talked to us thought they'd best try. It's part of the ritual. In the end a strict prescription of bleeding poverty will cure his GAS.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335439042' post='1631045']
[/quote]

*swot alert* I have two excellent degrees, which have served me relatively well, but I still think I could have stopped at one, and instead started playing bass when I was still at school, and been even happier with my life!

Jokes apart, do your best with your degree, then splurge on the gear. Take it as a lesson in self-control and/or mental restraint - you will need a lot of that in life. All the best!

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1335450938' post='1631406']
*swot alert* I have two excellent degrees, which have served me relatively well, but I still think I could have stopped at one, and instead started playing bass when I was still at school, and been even happier with my life!
[/quote]

I've got a Masters going spare, in that it's not used on a day-to-day basis.

But, as part of the long learning process that is life, it has enabled me to afford many things - so, having sold my original basses to fund my BA, I am now a shabbier player... but own much nicer gear :)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1335451311' post='1631413']
I've got a Masters going spare, in that it's not used on a day-to-day basis.

But, as part of the long learning process that is life, it has enabled me to afford many things - so, having sold my original basses to fund my BA, I am now a shabbier player... but own much nicer gear :)
[/quote]

LOL :D
I guess that spending most of your youth at college and uni, as opposed to in a factory (or wherever) as an unskilled worker *is* good for you, and you should go for that option if your frame of mind and you/your family can afford it. That's not to say that those who either aren't attracted to that option or can't afford it and have to go to work at 15 are any less worthy than us poshies/swots/lucky sods or sodettes :)

Jay!

What's wrong with you, young whippersnapper?
Ashdown Evo III? That's my GAS too!
Barefaced? That's my GAS too!
'62 P reissue? That's my GAS too!

One slight difference though:
In a month, you'll have your degree, and you'll soon easily be able to buy all three.
Me, I have no degree. When my pay cheque comes in, I take out £100 for food for the next month, pay all the bills that the rest of the money will allow, and then my account is empty for four and a half weeks again. Has been like this since october or so.

You got inspired?

best,
bert

Pathetic!

If you come here and said that all your studying time was being taken over by writing songs, rehearsing, gigging and recording with some fantastic band then I could understand - I've been there.

But if it's all about lusting after some new gear then I have no sympathy what so ever.

+1 for getting your degree first, then splurging as a reward ;)

on the GAS front though, what will your new purchases do for you that your existing gear wont...and if you have to sell to buy will you regret selling what you already have....critical questions to consider ;)

Edited by funkypenguin

Haha, thanks for the advice/butt kicking. I put in a good shift today and kept GASing to a minimum! Don't know how many jobs my particular degree is going to get me, but one is better than none i guess. [quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1335460111' post='1631614']
Pathetic!

If you come here and said that all your studying time was being taken over by writing songs, rehearsing, gigging and recording with some fantastic band then I could understand - I've been there.

But if it's all about lusting after some new gear then I have no sympathy what so ever.
[/quote]

I'ts not just the gear, its that combined with the day dreaming about about all the projects I have lined up!

[quote name='jay' timestamp='1335478922' post='1632111']
It's not just the gear, its that combined with the day-dreaming about about all the projects I have lined up!
[/quote]

You remind me of me, 150 years ago. Don't listen to Rex, he's BassChat's resident misanthrope. :lol:

Just stick in an exceptional circunstances form explaining how GAS is a recognised medical condition that affects you just during exam time. Make sure you back it with evidence - there's at least one doctor here on BC who might be willing to sign something resembling a dr's note!