Why become a member? ×

1981 Wal Mk 1 fretless * SOLD *

Clarky

I got this lovely bass at the start of January and its been played and enjoyed by Happy Jack (who will beat me up for selling this!) As some of you may know I recently acquired an old 19th century double bass which has depleted my coffers (and selling my Alleva 5'er didn't cover the outlay on this and an uber-expensive car MOT). I have my Takamine B10 to cover fretless duties (and this is the bass I play in my current band) so my Wal is up FS.

[attachment=105641:02fullfretless.jpg]

Its a 1981 Wal Mk 1, with a transition serial number starting PB (it was one of the last few basses before the nomenclature changed to W). It has identical electronics to a 'normal' Mk 1 but has the additional option of the volume pot switching “off” (useful for those quiet moments in gigs). It is a very manageable weight at 4.5kg (9.8lbs). The body is walnut faced mahogany, the board is unlined ebony and the hardware is gold. Given its age its in remarkable condition with only a few little dings and scrapes here and there, none of which are visible other than very close up.

Comes with the original brown case.

I am after £2600 plus post (which is what I paid in January).

Pickup preferred as its such a special instrument but will post if needs be. For meet-up/collection I am in London (live near Hammersmith, work near Liverpool Street). Its on eBay (with more pics) but I will pull the listing if a BCer wants this (and there are no bids on eBay)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130683611738?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649#ht_1855wt_97"]http://www.ebay.co.u...49#ht_1855wt_97[/url]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335022683' post='1624888']
I bet it sounds great, too.
[/quote]
Yeah, when not played with my dodgy intonation! Nearest I can describe my fretless playing is the intro from 'Roobarb and Custard' (for those who remember the 70s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zedq1VhaS90

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1335022834' post='1624894']
...Nearest I can describe my fretless playing is the intro from 'Roobarb and Custard' (for those who remember the 70s)
[/quote]

I do indeed, Richard Briers narrating if I remember rightly. And now I'm going to get the hell out of your for sale thread! :lol:

Oh good grief, Clarky!

As mentioned, I had the pleasure of A/B-ing this 4-string fretless against the more-or-less identical 4-string fretless I bought from Clarky last year.

This bass is every bit as good as mine, and is a delight to play.

Just like mine, it has the ability to make you forget that you're playing a "fretless" and remember that you're playing a bass.

I'm sorry if that sounds pretentious (a bit [i]Pseuds Corner[/i]) but everyone who has tried my fretless will know exactly what I'm driving at.

If you want to try fretless, but you're nervous that you somehow won't be good enough, then this bass would be an excellent buy.

Oh, and you won't lose money on it ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1335025423' post='1624944']
Oh good grief, Clarky!

As mentioned, I had the pleasure of A/B-ing this 4-string fretless against the more-or-less identical 4-string fretless I bought from Clarky last year.

This bass is every bit as good as mine, and is a delight to play.

Just like mine, it has the ability to make you forget that you're playing a "fretless" and remember that you're playing a bass.

I'm sorry if that sounds pretentious (a bit [i]Pseuds Corner[/i]) but everyone who has tried my fretless will know exactly what I'm driving at.

If you want to try fretless, but you're nervous that you somehow won't be good enough, then this bass would be an excellent buy.

Oh, and you won't lose money on it ...
[/quote]
Thanks Jack. I thought you'd be round my gaff with a set of electrodes when you read this :o

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1335022834' post='1624894']
Yeah, when not played with my dodgy intonation! Nearest I can describe my fretless playing is the intro from 'Roobarb and Custard' (for those who remember the 70s)
[/quote]

Don't all fretless players sound like that?

Up to 34 watchers now on eBay. Would rather this lovely bass stayed "in the family" than go to a nameless eBayer so is anyone potentially interested?

The one thing that might sway me trade-wise is a p/x against an Alembic but there would need to be a decent slug of cash my way

Gorgeous magic Wal instrument !

And how sounds the 19th century lady ?

I love fretless unlined Wal basses. I wish it was mine.
Could you add pictures (electronic pocket, case ) ? Thanks.

I plan to send you a PM.

Thanks for answering so quickly !
Your picts are cool.

I missed Wombatboter's Wal last year. Geert kindly answered me whereas he already sold its instrument.

Your bass is really sexy...

Edited by Emanew

I had the joy of playing Happy Jack's fretless Wal on Saturday.

I am not a fretless playes but something about these bass guitars make them easy to play even if fretless is not normally your thing.

I am very tempted buy this.
If this Wal is as good as Happy Jack's bass then it is an awesome instrument.

Hey Chris, I think this answers your comment!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1335025423' post='1624944']
I had the pleasure of A/B-ing this 4-string fretless against the more-or-less identical 4-string fretless I bought from Clarky last year. This bass is every bit as good as mine, and is a delight to play. Just like mine, it has the ability to make you forget that you're playing a "fretless" and remember that you're playing a bass.
[/quote]

Just had a message through eBay as follows (PS, my weight was out by 0.05kg and I have over 200 positive feedbacks!):

Hi, one of your weights is obviously out as there are 2.2 pounds per kilo. What's the serial number please? I can't see the point of deliberately omitting it unless you have stolen goods or similar. Anyone honest can be completely up front about essential details such as this. [b]Do you think a gang of wal addicted ninjas will track you down and break in? I'm not bidding a penny without the full details mate. Who would spring circa £3K when the seller makes himself look dodgy???[/b]

Edited by Clarky