Why become a member? ×

SOLD

dannybuoy

[u][b]Head now gone, cab should be gone tomorrow![/b][/u]

Time to let this big boy go. I'm no longer in a band, and if I go to jam with some friends I just take the Promethean combo which is much easier to carry!

I bought the head around a year ago, and in that time just used it for two gigs and low volume bedroom practice. I believe the guy I got it from bought it new and hardly used it either, therefore it's still in very good condition and looks like new apart from a little scrape of the tolex underneath where you won't be looking anyway. Comes with a surprisingly useful home-made cover made out of a thin stiff foam and gaffer tape!

The cab is a Matamp sealed 2x12 with ceramic Eminence Delta 12A drivers in matching orange colour made to the exact same width as the Orange head. No Matamp badge on the front, just a label on the back, and it has a black grille cloth. Also comes with a Roqsolid cover.

Cab details:

55cm wide x 36cm deep x 70cm high
For those of you that haven't caught up to metric units, that is 21.5" wide x 14.2" deep X 27.5" high.

Weighs around 35kg / 77lbs!

[url="http://imgur.com/ZZbzT"][/url]
[url="http://imgur.com/BCrrp"][/url]

Edited by dannybuoy

It has 'tighter' more controlled lows, meaning it doesn't extend as deep as ported cabs, but has plenty of punch. Think more classic bass tone, like the sealed Ampeg 8x10. Still lots of energy down low where it counts in the 60Hz region! There is no tweeter so it has a nice smooth top end, which sounds GREAT with fuzz and distortion feeding it.

Also, the drivers in sealed cabs are usually more consistent in their impedance rating throughout the frequency range, whereas the drivers used in ported cabs tend to have a big peak in impedance at a certain frequency. Valve amps are designed to work best with a constant impedance load, hence valve heads usually being 'happier' when hooked up to sealed cabs. Solid state and hybrid amps aren't so fussy and work well with both types of cab.

Pedant Alert, Pedant Alert!

Technically the Matamp 212 is not a sealed (or infinite baffle) cab. A sealed cab is where the entire box is made with no removable panels, then the drivers are mounted on the front of the baffle, so the only access inside the cab is by removing the drivers and going through the hole. Matamp do this with their 410 bass cab.

You will see on the 212 that the drivers are mounted on the rear of the baffle via a removable panel to the back of the cab. Although the panel is very closely fitted, and yes, the cab is not ported in anyway, so most likely behaves in a similar manner to a sealed cab. Like I said, pedant alert!

I only say this as I have two of them paired with my Matamp GT200, and yes they work and sound wonderful with all the lovely valve goodness. Also, did you know that Matamp fit Celestion drivers to their 212's as standard? Eminence are fitted as a special order with an up-charge. The money you are asking for the quality of the rig means someone is going to get very good value. I can't see this hanging around for long.

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1334504498' post='1616921']
Thanks for the info dannybuoy and billyapple - learned something today!!

If only it was black.....
[/quote]

Shaggy, you are in luck. I've got a very special tin of black [s]emulsion[/s] tolex paint. Very rare and exclusive, only half a tin left, should cover most of this lot. Yours for 75 quid.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1334508083' post='1616997']

Shaggy, you are in luck. I've got a very special tin of black [s]emulsion[/s] tolex paint. Very rare and exclusive, only half a tin left, should cover most of this lot. Yours for 75 quid.
[/quote]

Hmmmmm......as long as it's neodynium paint and not conventional, as the latter would push the overall weight above the 35.0000001 Kg threshold at which my spinal column would spontaneously deconstruct.........

But bump for a fab rig; I had one of the original '70's 100W heads back in the early 80's - monster tone and cool as fcuk.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1334484592' post='1616642']Also, did you know that Matamp fit Celestion drivers to their 212's as standard? Eminence are fitted as a special order with an up-charge. The money you are asking for the quality of the rig means someone is going to get very good value. I can't see this hanging around for long.[/quote]

Hear that people, grab a bargain! I did snap up both the head and cab for a good price on BC, so just selling for the same amount I paid.

Oh, and i'd happily buy it back. It made stupendous amounts of sound with my 400+. Also, it has a claim to fame; the bass player from 'The Cardigans' played through it, with a Gibson EB-2, and remarked on how good it sounded. Quite a tenuous link, but there you go.

• 2 weeks later...