Why become a member? ×

Rush - Clockwork Angels - Preview

wateroftyne

Oooh... listened to it a few times now, and I've just clicked that there's a fairly intensive instrumental break featuring just bass, drums and guitar. No walls of overdubs, just... the trio. Mint.. it doesn't happen very often these days.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='merello' timestamp='1334775661' post='1621177']
[url="http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/player/rush.html"]Click to listen to Rush's 'Headlong Flight'[/url]
[/quote]

Sounds like a decent track to me! Slightly reminiscent of the Foo Fighters perhaps?

Could possibly do with a bit more "light and shade" though? Dymanic range is a bit "compressed" too - which seems commonplace these days. For a long track it comes across as a bit relentless to me... but that's after only two listens. Certainly better than their (for me) low point of Vapor Trails. Snakes and Arrows is OK, but they are a long way off their creative zenith of the late 80s and early 90s IMO.

Some tasty playing from wor Ged there B)

Can't wait for this album - pre-ordered it on Amazon yesterday :D

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1334840901' post='1622172']
Sounds like a decent track to me! Slightly reminiscent of the Foo Fighters perhaps?

Could possibly do with a bit more "light and shade" though? Dymanic range is a bit "compressed" too - which seems commonplace these days. For a long track it comes across as a bit relentless to me... but that's after only two listens. Certainly better than their (for me) low point of Vapor Trails. Snakes and Arrows is OK, but they are a long way off their creative zenith of the late 80s and early 90s IMO.

Some tasty playing from wor Ged there B)

Can't wait for this album - pre-ordered it on Amazon yesterday :D
[/quote]
I agree, any enjoyment was generally lost from the relentless pummelling my ears got.

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1334166308' post='1611948']
Yep thanks for the link. Ordered.

I understood from interviews that Rush wanted to go in and remix S&A
[/quote]

I think that's Vapor Trails that they've been thinking of remixing (in fact two or three tracks already have been for a compilation).

Some great playing on the new song, but it's a bit too long in time and short on melody to be up there with their best stuff. I've still ordered the album though...

[quote name='mikhay77' timestamp='1335091922' post='1625520']
Mmm! Pretty decent track. Loved the early stuff,never a great fan of the 80s albums but thats what bands did in the 80s. Back on form for me anyway. Seen em live and they are spot on so a 5 stars,cant wait to hear the rest of the album.
[/quote]
Is it just me that can't stand the vocal harmony and obvious unison vocal double tracking?

Still I pre-ordered the Classic Rock pack, and can't wait to get it. I'll probably be a bit non-plussed as is usual with latter day Rush albums, but I'm still a huge fan.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1335094699' post='1625582']
Is it just me that can't stand the vocal harmony and obvious unison vocal double tracking?
[/quote]

Nope - I'm royally sick of it, too. It's tiring to listen to.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1334181234' post='1612351']
I wonder if Alex will be allowed to break out his effects again - I remember an interview where the producer of Snakes & Arrows banned him from using his effects. It's not the same unless he's plastered on the chorus.
[/quote]

Alex should really be given whatever creative freedom he wants. 'Hope' is still one of my favourite parts of Snakes and Arrows, could it be that he is the man with the answers and the ideas at the moment? I'm just getting back into my Rush records after a bit of a hiatus and I am struck by Lifeson's genius again.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1335137236' post='1626333']
Alex should really be given whatever creative freedom he wants. 'Hope' is still one of my favourite parts of Snakes and Arrows, could it be that he is the man with the answers and the ideas at the moment? I'm just getting back into my Rush records after a bit of a hiatus and I am struck by Lifeson's genius again.
[/quote]
Alex is unique. He has been the deepest inspiration to me as a guitarist.

Reasonably entertaining video on youtube
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcFGrWjOX0E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcFGrWjOX0E[/url]

As for the tune - I agree with most on this thread in the "they ain't as good as they used to be" theme. I guess when you've been so great in the past (for so LONG with so much output) that a slide downward is inevitable?

I loved Vapor Trails (production aside).. so fresh and energised with some great tunes.. but then they did their WORST album with S & A. I blame it on the producer they're using because he is a fanboy. I imagine him saying everything they do is great, whereas I reckon previous producers had the guts to challenge them when they weren't doing their best.

I'll say this - the tune is better than all of Snakes and Arrows (with the exception of Far Cry perhaps). Also, I prefer the production compared to S & A.. bit drier and focussed. The bass tone is sounding better than it has in years too. Fantastic guitar in places. Alex is Rush's secret weapon for sure.

[quote name='jbn4001' timestamp='1335557755' post='1633254']
.....but then they did their WORST album with S & A.
[/quote]
Really?
Worse than "Test for Echo"?

I'm one of the few who think that "Snakes & Arrows" is one of the best things they've ever done.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1335631681' post='1634055']
Really?
Worse than "Test for Echo"?

I'm one of the few who think that "Snakes & Arrows" is one of the best things they've ever done.
[/quote]

TfE is a little bland in places but it has some good tunes on it such as Time and Motion. IMHO S&A is far more complacent - even when compared to TfE. Cut and past assembly of tunes that go on for too long, uninteresting melodies, uninteresting pompous (even for Peart) lyrics.. I can't stand it and was very disappointed with it. Gotta hand it to them though - they've done far more in their career in both quality and quantity than most other rock bands.. so I can let it slide :)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1335631681' post='1634055']
[/quote]

+1, I thought it was a bit of a 'return to form' after TfE and V-Poor trails.

I didn't mind Vapor Trails ('How It Is' is amazing, for instance) but S&A struck me as a pretty strong record. Much stronger and more consistent than say, Test for Echo or Counterparts. There were a couple of plodding moments but it overall it was very good. I do think though that they need to get away from just thinking as a guitar/bass/drum rock trio and get back to either some great proggy arranging like The Camera Eye or even better, get some synths out and start thinking about big, catchy melodies again.

I've said it before though, and this will not be the last time I say it, but Rush turning out an average effort (by their standards) is better than most bands could even dream of.