Why become a member? ×

Rush - Clockwork Angels - Preview

wateroftyne

Haters gonna keep hatin', but for everyone else...

http://bcove.me/hwp437l4

And here's the tracklist:

1. Caravan
2. BU2B
3. Clockwork Angels
4. The Anarchist
5. Carnies
6. Halo Effect
7. Seven Cities Of Gold
8. The Wreckers
9. Headlong Flight
10. BU2B2
11. Wish Them Well
12. The Garden

OK, it's only a 30-second clip but it sounds nice and lively, and Alex's guitar seems to have a bit of bite to it, rather than the fat slab of nonsense he's been using recently.

Also... Track 10 - [i]BU2B2[/i]? Jesus... the first one wasn't anything special.

We wait and wonder.

[quote name='Jayben' timestamp='1334145903' post='1611520']
That little fill Ged does at 00:26 sounds familiar... I'm tempted to say Bastille Day?
[/quote]

Exactly right :)

I just hope geddy doesn't come in singing a no-melody melody a fifth above the tonic. It's getting really irritating that. Also Razcinulez had better leave the dynamics in there instead of that disgusting travesty of mastering on S&A.

TBH, I'm more looking forward to the magazine interviews than the actual album :(

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1334146554' post='1611528']
I just hope geddy doesn't come in singing a no-melody melody a fifth above the tonic. It's getting really irritating that. Also Razcinulez had better leave the dynamics in there instead of that disgusting travesty of mastering on S&A.
[/quote]

+1 - there's a definite lack of melodies on their latter-day albums.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1334146679' post='1611535']
[/quote]

And lack of sweetness. They could make major sound minor, 9/8 sound like 4/4 - there was instinct, romance and sensitivity in almost everything they did. It just seems like power-riffage and very unnatural time signatures now.

I'm praying they have somehow reconnected with their inner truth or whathaveyou for this album.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1334146679' post='1611535']
[/quote]

This is really what they need to get back to. They still make a fine rock album, don't get me wrong. But Rush are capable of so much more than just being a fantastic rock band. They're Rush!

If think they need to get back to writing melodies. They need to get back to writing songs. I suspect at the moment that most of their writing is riff driven.

I can't wait to hear it - I really love all their albums, and rate S&A very highly.

Out June 12th - a bit more info here - [url="http://www.rush.com/rush/index.php"]http://www.rush.com/rush/index.php[/url]

Edited by spongebob

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1334161325' post='1611857']
Reasonably-priced pre-order with goodies here:

[url="http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/get-rushs-new-album%E2%80%A6-a-month-early/"]http://www.classicro...-a-month-early/[/url]
[/quote]

Done! Thanks WoT :D

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1334161325' post='1611857']
Reasonably-priced pre-order with goodies here:

[url="http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/get-rushs-new-album%E2%80%A6-a-month-early/"]http://www.classicro...-a-month-early/[/url]
[/quote]

Yep thanks for the link. Ordered.

I understood from interviews that Rush wanted to go in and remix S&A

I think a lot of people bash albums that are accepted as not particularly good without realising the importance of that album - Vapor Trails, while being (imo) Rush's worst album with only 2/3 decent songs on it and horribly mastered, is quite possibly one of Rush's most important albums in the entirety their career - Peart had come to terms with his losses, and had managed to bring himself to write lyrics and music again, and had rejoined Lifeson and Lee. Likewise Metallica's St. Anger, may not be the most organised collection of riffs ever, but in terms of the band it was an absolute necessity if Metallica are ever going to be the creative force they once were (still waiting for that day).

I like the new stuff from Rush, I accept that it's different, because they're different people and different musicians now from what they were in 1977 when they were still riding the waves from 2112 and producing Hemispheres and Farewell To Kings. And that's one of the best things about Rush, they're so divisive. I've met people who only like the 80's synth phase albums, people who despise said 80's phase, people who will only listen to albums after Presto. It's a mix bag really, and I think that Rush are just in another phase of theirs.

IMO, IME, YMMV

Thanks for that link, chief! Something to read while listening to it.

I actually like their newer material but it does seem 'colder' than their earlier efforts. tend to listen to Rush in periods - all the 70s proggy stuff, the slick 80s synth-heavy albums and their pared-back 90s/00s albums. What I admire about them is that they have such diverse sounds through the years - it's like listening to different bands at times.

It's also one of the reasons I love seeing them live, as you get the whole lot crammed into the space of a few hours.

I wonder if Alex will be allowed to break out his effects again - I remember an interview where the producer of Snakes & Arrows banned him from using his effects. It's not the same unless he's plastered on the chorus.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1334182989' post='1612394']
Not anymore mate. Rickenbackers are banned on Basschat now.
[/quote]

Yep... word has it John Hall heard that Geddy was playing his Ricky during the encore on the Snakes & Arrows tour, and issued a cease & desist.*

[size=2]*I made this up, but you never know. It might be true.[/size]

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1334182989' post='1612394']
Not anymore mate. Rickenbackers are banned on Basschat now.
[/quote]

the fake ones seem to get a bit of attention though. Maybe Geddy should start trawling the 'bay! ;)