Why become a member? ×

Peter Gabriel -So - classic albums programme on BBC Four Friday March 23rd '12!!!

kevin_lindsay

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1332541325' post='1589972']
Yeah, I'd hoped they'd feature the section with Jerry Marotta playing Tony Levin's bass strings with his drumsticks while Tony fingered the notes!

Great programme all the same
[/quote]

Really enjoyed it - nice to see some of TL's bass playing get some airtime on there. I'd forgotten Larry Klein also played bass on the album - lots of Musicman basses on there too.... ;) .

Nice to see that live footage from the Athens gig which was on a video called POV. Such a shame you don't seem to be able to get this on DVD as it's brilliant, none of the huge stage effects us on the Secret World or Growing Up tours, but still wonderful use of stage space and correography.

Loved this too - TL is simply awesome - and it was a great lesson in how the creative process works - and how they really don't make albums like this anymore - BUT the biggest pleasure of all was watching a music program on that Beeb that wasn't Later... !!!!

Some great TLev footage in the doc. That bass he used in the Don't Give Up section was one that was rescued from the barn fire a while back, hence the smoke damage: funny/tragic story at www.papabear.com/miscpages/fire.htm

Saw this repeated in the early hours this morning. What a rare treat! Imagine having that amount of time and creative freedom to record an album. PG totally obsessive. Really shows why a lot of contemporary recordings are not up to standard!

And you gotta love Tony Levin. What an inspired player.
Was also very entertained by the preceding show on British prog rock. :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1332590354' post='1590367']
Disappointed there was nothing about 'Big Time' and the drumsticks! But, dear God, did you see the dodgy 1980's long coats that musos wore in those days??
[/quote]

And most pop stars today look really cool don't they... er NOT

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1332590354' post='1590367']
Disappointed there was nothing about 'Big Time' and the drumsticks! But, dear God, did you see the dodgy 1980's long coats that musos wore in those days??
[/quote]

Shoulder pads are coming back, they say

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1332575483' post='1590147']
Nice to see that live footage from the Athens gig which was on a video called POV. Such a shame you don't seem to be able to get this on DVD as it's brilliant, none of the huge stage effects us on the Secret World or Growing Up tours, but still wonderful use of stage space and correography.
[/quote]

I saw the "SO" tour in the NEC in 1987 & it was one of the best gigs I've ever seen. As you say, the stage set-up was very sparse, but the whole show was wonderfully produced & choreographed with really clever use of minimal, mainly white, lighting.

By way of contrast I saw David Bowies "Glass Spider" tour a few weeks before the Gabriel show, and for all it's elaborate effects it was one of the crappiest gigs I've ever been to - very much a case of style over content.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1332595672' post='1590436']
I saw the "SO" tour in the NEC in 1987 & it was one of the best gigs I've ever seen. As you say, the stage set-up was very sparse, but the whole show was wonderfully produced & choreographed with really clever use of minimal, mainly white, lighting.

By way of contrast I saw David Bowies "Glass Spider" tour a few weeks before the Gabriel show, and for all it's elaborate effects it was one of the crappiest gigs I've ever been to - very much a case of style over content.
[/quote]

I've still got my POV on VHS - I wonder if it'll still play. A brilliant concert film, slightly flawed by some "home movie" style footage.

Likewise I was at Earls Court for one of the 1987 shows - up in the gods somewhere. I saw U2 and Genesis at Wembley Stadium in the same month or so. I had a spare weekend and was considering the Glass Spider show, but lack of pocket money prevented it - double-edged sword as I've not got round to seeing Bowie since, but reviews of the show are universally luke-warm.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1332596158' post='1590452']
double-edged sword as I've not got round to seeing Bowie since, but reviews of the show are universally luke-warm.
[/quote]

Good call, I'm a Bowie fan but the Glass Spider tour was pretty awful, I haven't seen him live since.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1332588200' post='1590316']
Saw this repeated in the early hours this morning. What a rare treat! Imagine having that amount of time and creative freedom to record an album. PG totally obsessive. Really shows why a lot of contemporary recordings are not up to standard
[/quote]

Did I hear correctly that the track listings were not as originally intended due to the way Vinyl did not produce the bass response quite as well nearer the middle of the disc as it was effectively travelling slower and could not produce the tones with the same energy ???
That is maybe a touch anal , but incredible attention to detail

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1332596961' post='1590477']
...Vinyl did not produce the bass response quite as well nearer the middle of the disc as it was effectively travelling slower and could not produce the tones with the same energy ??? That is maybe a touch anal , but incredible attention to detail...
[/quote]

It's about how wide and deep the cut is. Not anal at all. Well...

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1332590236' post='1590363']
Just watched it and saved to disk for posterity. Great stuff!!

Tony Levin is just amazing, saw him with Crimson and ABWH too!
[/quote]

I saw PG on the "Human Rights Now" tour in 1988 with his usual touring band (including TL) + Youssou N'Dour (who did a set in his own right that night) at Wembley Stadium. His performance of "Shock the Monkey" was particularly memorable :).

Good call on ABWH - I saw them at Wembley Arena the following year. Great band!

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1332596961' post='1590477']
Did I hear correctly that the track listings were not as originally intended due to the way Vinyl did not produce the bass response quite as well nearer the middle of the disc as it was effectively travelling slower and could not produce the tones with the same energy ???
That is maybe a touch anal , but incredible attention to detail
[/quote]

That's right - the track listing on the CD re-release some years later restored the desired track listing, ending with the more upbeat and optimistic In Your Eyes than on the relative downer of Milgram's,

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1332600741' post='1590535']
I saw PG on the "Human Rights Now" tour in 1988 with his usual touring band (including TL) + Youssou N'Dour (who did a set in his own right that night) at Wembley Stadium. His performance of "Shock the Monkey" was particularly memorable :).

[/quote]

Was at all of the above! the ABWH show was fantastic: Heart of the Sunrise with funk fingers. Whoa. A experience exceeded only by the same TLev/FF combo on 21st Century Schizoid Man at the Shepherds Bush Empire in 1996.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1332600741' post='1590535']

[/quote]

I saw the same show at wembley...and I saw him at Glastonbury too. Great performer, even when he hasn't got his full tour setup.
I absolutly loved hearing the bass tracks isolated.