Why become a member? ×

Distortion Quest!

Prime_BASS

I have the Mastotron fuzz with the sub switch, which this has so was wondering if anyone has tried the distortion with bass as it has the same sub switch on it.

I'm looking for a good distortion/drive pedal and I really like the Mastotron fuzz so have high hopes for this distortion.

Thanks.

EDIT:
This thread has now turned into my distortion quest. I am after a very specific sound from a specific player, vid is a few posts in.

Edited by Prime_BASS

I have the Mastrotron atm but the geiger counter I have coming does the sound I am after fuzz wise, and I doubt I'll be needed both for a single song. Where as I know I'll be using a solid drive a lot.

It's so hard to find a good drive for bass without having to buy it first.

I really want to try the Okko BASStard but that's nearly £300 last I looked,

Things ion my list to try include

Fulltone OCD
Microtubes B3k B7k
EBS valvedrive

but thats about it.

Most appealling is the OCD as it's high pass helps keep the bass bassy. Although I'm willionmg to sacrifice some low end for the right sounding pedal, as it'll be mixed with a direct clean/sub channel.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1332705844' post='1591984']
I have the Mastrotron atm but the geiger counter I have coming does the sound I am after fuzz wise, and I doubt I'll be needed both for a single song. Where as I know I'll be using a solid drive a lot.

It's so hard to find a good drive for bass without having to buy it first.

I really want to try the Okko BASStard but that's nearly £300 last I looked,

Things ion my list to try include

Fulltone OCD
Microtubes B3k B7k
EBS valvedrive

but thats about it.

Most appealling is the OCD as it's high pass helps keep the bass bassy. Although I'm willionmg to sacrifice some low end for the right sounding pedal, as it'll be mixed with a direct clean/sub channel.
[/quote]
The EBS pedals are quite nice for drive. I would recommend the Wren and Cuff Phat Phuk B, but sounds like you want something heavier than just overdrive. I personally hate layered/blended sounds (especially on bass) so I don't particularly like the Darkglass pedals.

yo bro, if you're after the crack distortion takeshi uses a boss mt-2 metal zone for the 'extra gainy' bits around that era, like the first riff you hear in that and the riff in shodoku etc.

the core tone comes from his pearce BC1 preamp, but you can get pretty close if you whack up bass and treble, the key is using a parametric EQ and massively boosting the mids at somewhere like 1khz

i used to geek over this guys tone totally and its really helped me develop my own sounds.

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1332835730' post='1593610']
yo bro, if you're after the crack distortion takeshi uses a boss mt-2 metal zone for the 'extra gainy' bits around that era, like the first riff you hear in that and the riff in shodoku etc.

the core tone comes from his pearce BC1 preamp, but you can get pretty close if you whack up bass and treble, the key is using a parametric EQ and massively boosting the mids at somewhere like 1khz

i used to geek over this guys tone totally and its really helped me develop my own sounds.
[/quote]

Cheers, this gives me some ideas to check out. As the band is Japanese, and despite being fairly large at their peak, there is very little info on anything I can find. Tried emailing Takeshi's blog page biut couldn't navigate.

I am surprised that he use's the MT-2 as a lot of the boss pedals that arn't bass specific suck a lot of low end. The closest I got to a low gain sound he has is using a BD-2 and then boosted the low end a lot with a GEB-7 but it sounded fake and hollow compared to the clean sound's low end.

I will check out that pearce preamp though.

I love MCM so much, I have the complete discography, just missing one alternative mix of midi surf that is on a youtube vid. Takeshi Is my favourite bassist in a band setting.

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1332939711' post='1595149']
I use a Boss MD-2 to good effect, I can't listen to your vid just now so not saying it will acheive that sound, but I find it's a great Distortion for bass, it has treble and bass controls too.

Si
[/quote]

I'll be interested to hear your thought once you've heard the vid, truely messed up sound!
Ive tried a lot of OD's and a few being from Boss and the Bass EQ knob has been rather useless. I've only tried one distortion from boss and it was fairly ok but lots of mid scoop and zero punch.

love MCM too, they were the dog's.

from another recent thread on here (westwood's i think), you could try a heavy fuzz sound going into a boss odb-3 (blended of course).

you get that metal string sound added on top of bass fuzz. it won't be exact, but you should be able to dial in something similar.

i'm liking b3k>depth charge>odb3 for that kind of sound. try it if you have one kicking around.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1332947612' post='1595317']
I'll be interested to hear your thought once you've heard the vid, truely messed up sound!
Ive tried a lot of OD's and a few being from Boss and the Bass EQ knob has been rather useless. I've only tried one distortion from boss and it was fairly ok but lots of mid scoop and zero punch.
[/quote]

I'll see what I can get out of my bits (oo-er)
I don't know anything about MCM, but I suspect he's not just relying on his Dist/OD pedals, bet he's EQ'd the hell out of his sound.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1333042019' post='1596697']
I'll see what I can get out of my bits (oo-er)
I don't know anything about MCM, but I suspect he's not just relying on his Dist/OD pedals, bet he's EQ'd the hell out of his sound.

Si
[/quote]

True that!
I've been suggested all kinds of stuff in the past to get close to his core sound, Shep's helped a bit on the more complex and textured pieces which include some cool octave up bass solo's with crazy warbles when going back down.
If Ant is right (which I don't doubt) then my next destination is indeed the boss MT-2.

yeah i had a boss mt 2 and i thought it was sh*t, that was years ago though.

i have a pearce BC1 and can cop all his tones easy peasy, its all about whacking up the mids at 1khz, in the books ive got it shows the exact settings he used for certain eras.

my favourite has always been the distortion sound on the PARK album, which is just pretty much the gain from channel 2 of the pearce.

I've been messing around and I can cop pretty similar tones with either my MD-2 with GEB-7 boosted at 800hz, as well as an ODB-3 with the same EQ'ing. Obviously slightly different sounds, but both pretty close to that recording. No blended sounds.
Of course that's just in my lounge at home, those tones will sound very different in a live setting. I'd put money on him using different gear to get that studio tone to what he uses live.

Oh the other thing which is important, which I'm sure you're doing, is using a plectrum, makes sooooo much difference!

Si