Why become a member? ×

Basses that you've never wanted to own.

Marvin

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1332086916' post='1582970']
Nothing says "****" like a Status Kingbass, eh? It's no good for metal.
[/quote]

Wronnngg!!

A lot of the reason Mark Kings Kingbass sounds the way it does is because he plays with light gauge strings, and obviously he has his "tone"
My Kingbass has mediums on it, I play through an Ashdown MK500 amp (Mark King Signature) and Ashdown ABM 4x10 and ABM 2x10 cabs which ain't that far off the rig Mark used to play through.

There was that much bottom end coming through the rig at our gig on Friday night the bar staff asked me roll some bass off it as I had brought some glasses and bottles off the shelf behind them through the vibration of the low end. The bass was going straight out, not through the PA.

This is with just the eq from the bass as the rig was running flat with no eq.

I've had no end of Status basses, and always end up going back to them because I can get any tone I want from them, it's pure tosh that they only produce high end brittle tones, they're great for rock, and metal. Erm Rhino Edwards uses what is more or less an S2 in the Quo, you can't get any more "Rock" than the Quo. Da, Da Da, Da Da, Da Da, Da Da, Da Da :yarr:

[quote name='Lorne' timestamp='1332106582' post='1583460']
Those of a nervous disposition, look away now or you'll puke

Basses I'll never own

1) Fenders, floorboards the lot of 'em

2) Overpriced Fender Clones (Sadowkies etc), why pay much more than the real floor boards cost, for the same thing with a different name on the headstock?

3)Musicmans, played loads of them, only ever found 1 that was nice

4) Warwicks, you charge that much for them, and don't even laquer them

5) Singlecuts, lazy Luthiers couldn't be bothered to finish the job

6) Fanned frets, drunk Luthiers shouldn't have finished the job

7) Rickenbackers, my first bass was one, hated the laquered fret board

8) Gibsons, you couldn't throw grabbers away years ago, then that idiot from green day and the one from Nirvana used Gibbo's and they were suddenly a "Must have" Bass

9) Wals...Why?

I like Headless basses, I like Sei basses (Except the Fender clones and singlecuts) and I like Statii
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well said that man.

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1332107972' post='1583490']
Wronnngg!!

[/quote]

+1

There are plenty of people who use Status basses for rock and a few well known ones like Chris Wotsisname from Muse, Guy Pratt from Floyd, Martin Blunt from Charlatans, Steve Firth from Embrace, Martin Glover and Pino Palladino (session) and Rhino as mentioned before. Pretty much the only famous player who slaps a Status is Mark King.

They're great basses but people assume they're only good for slapping machine gun triplets and lighting up like Christmas trees.

back in my metal days I had a BC Rich pointy-ass guitar, was appropriate for the genre and looked awesome on stage. Now being ten years older and a bassist I don't think even if I went back to metal I'd have anything pointy, probably buy the turquoise LTD 5-string I played the other week in fact.

I'm actually really picky about basses I think, I've come to think you can look at what bass a player is using and for some types of bass know exactly whether the thing they are about to play is going to interest you. 6+ strings, headless, singlecut or exotic tone woods for example, never seen one played in anything other than a showy-off, harmonic riddled manner, usually all on the top strings and up the wrong end of the fretboard for most of it. Nothing wrong with that, just doesn't interest me or work in most band situations.

Think the only fretless I would consider is a P-bass.

Can't stand the way warwicks hang on me but love the sound.

Don't like the looks of the violin bass very much either.

Bongo - no.

anything with more than one neck - just leave. Why would you even think that's funny? what is the matter with you? :rolleyes:

My,what a cantankerous bunch....excellent....
I hate Warwicks;had two 5's(short memory span :unsure: ) and both hideous.Massively overrated(or so I thought until I read this thread...)
Thunderbirds...in fact all Gibsons except EB2s.
LEDs...actives...ebony boards...doublenecks...all horrible...
Of course I might suddenly change my opinion on any or all of these(except about the Warwicks...)
Would be Rics too,but saw Youth making a massively brilliant racket with one a few nights ago so temporarily won over.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1332118993' post='1583661']
You have the makings of an excellent bonfire there, sir! :lol: ;)
[/quote]

a F*****g expensive bonfire, get the terminology correct ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

And there are 2 B.C.Riches missing from the picture too, a Snakeskin NJ Warlock bass which was away for repair and a 1985 USA handmade Ironbird, which Chris Eccleshall has in for repair, so I shalln't see that for a very long time :lol:

[quote name='CPCustomdubwise' timestamp='1332117618' post='1583660']
.....Would be Rics too,but saw Youth making a massively brilliant racket with one a few nights ago so temporarily won over.
[/quote]

Hope you were lucky enough to get the whole set from KJ, we got booted out the ABC after just under an hour - power failure knocked out the whole block. No Eighties, no Love Like Blood. :(

Ricky - Iconic look , but does nothing for me .

Thunderbird - as above .

Hofner Beatle bass - tried one , and can't see the attration . (unless the look is desirable , ie tibute stuff)

Alembic Stanley Clarke - superb build , but doesn't even balance right - neck dive badly on the one I tried .

As mentioned , it's each to their own (as with cars and women etc . )

Rickenbackers - There is nothing about them I like
Pointy basses of any kind - Leave that stuff where it belongs (in the 80's)
Gibson basses - After all these years they still haven't managed to build just one inconic bass
Fodera - It would never leave the house, so what's the point?
Ned Steinberger - Revolutionery technology, but awful basses in practice
12 string basses (Hamer) - Beautiful sounding instrument, but other than playing the 'Jeremy' riff...pointless and strings are expensive to replace
Basses with trem bars - Hmmm...yeah...very useful!? The best way to kill the resonance of your bass!
Relic - They look cool, but try explaining to a non-musician why you have paid over £2k for something that looks like it was found in a skip. I don't want to be ridiculed more than I already do!

[quote name='hairyhaw' timestamp='1332152817' post='1583864']
Hope you were lucky enough to get the whole set from KJ, we got booted out the ABC after just under an hour - power failure knocked out the whole block. No Eighties, no Love Like Blood. :(
[/quote]

Whole set...waited a bit and a blistering encore....waited a bit more and shouted a lot and a flipping magnificent "Love Like Blood". ..sorry you missed out.