Why become a member? ×

Recommend some good cables?

Alex Spencer

I'm upgrading my rig and don't really want to be using these tired cheap old cables from back when I was a teenager, so am looking to buy some new ones. Obviously I'm not going to settle for the cheap and nasty, but at the same time I'm not going to spend £50+ on a cable. I know a little about electronics and the consumer market, enough to know that 'gold plated' really isn't any better, despite what the salesman will tell you. I'm thinking around £10-£25 is a decent range (cost vs length shall of course apply), so do you guy have any advice? Any favourites? Any to steer clear from?

I can see only 2 reasons for not using OBBM:

1. You are a very experienced solderer with access to high quality cable and plugs at below trade prices plus you have the time to make up your leads.
2. You have an endorsement deal with a company that gives you free cables.

Edited by BigRedX

I have a collection of OBBM leads, but I'm also gonna put it out there for Planet Waves. Great quality and a lifetime guarantee. Just before midnight on Thursday I contacted them through their US website as my three year old Custom series 20' cable had gone crackly at the angled plug end. They replied at 2 minutes past midnight, asking me for the batch number and whether it had compression springs or a switched jack.. A brand new cable arrived this morning...

Absolutely STUNNING customer service!!!

After playing with the same cables for about 10 years i finally upgraded and picked up some new ODDM cables before rehearsals this week. Was using my new p bass for the first couple of numbers but when I plugged the jazz in again expecting it to sound weak in the mix as it usually does I was amazed by the difference! Loads more clarity and punch, so impressive it's put me off the idea of upgrading the pups for now.

Forget pedals and new basses, if you want better tone dave's cables should be first one your list.

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1332498902' post='1589080']
I've just ordered a couple of Dave's Speakon cables after seeing this thread - thanks for the heads-up.
[/quote]

Brilliant service! As above, I ordered a couple of speakon cables yesterday, and the postie delivered them an hour ago... They're great quality (absolutely no difference in either build or sound quality to my ears when compared to a stupidly expensive Phil Jones speakon cable I already had), and were £14 each.

I know where I'll be going for cables in the future then...

Mark.