Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz and Rickenbacker have one night stand...

TPTroll

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' timestamp='1331052375' post='1566905']
Don't look too hot welded together though do they? :rolleyes: There seems to be a lot of Rick haters on this site, I can't understand why?
[/quote]

No they don't. :lol:

Same reason some people hate anything that isn't their preference I guess; "I don't like it so it's crap". Of course they are a bit marmite, possibly more so than many.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' timestamp='1331052375' post='1566905']
Strangly enough, I own an old Rick and Jazz. Don't look too hot welded together though do they? :rolleyes: There seems to be a lot of Rick haters on this site, I can't understand why?
[/quote]

I find them 'visually disturbing' and don't really have a practical use for the typical sound they produce.
I certainly don't hate them, it's just not something I can ever see myself owing. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331054488' post='1566953']
I certainly don't hate them, it's just not something I can ever see myself owing. :)
[/quote]
That's fair enough, each to thier own I say. funnily enough, i've been playing on the Jazz today, I am struggling a bit with the neck! It seems fat compared to the Rick.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1331054887' post='1566960']
I like the look of the body (presuming as it looks to me that it's slightly more squashed/elongated shape than a true Rick) but the neck looks wrong on it, a more Rickesque neck and headstock would have been better
[/quote]
They've been there and done that. I think Mr. Hall probably had a word in their ear - hence this.

Can't help but feel that maybe a Fenderbird inspired design might have been better...

Now, you see, I always thought the b*stard offspring of a Rick and Jazz looked a bit like this;
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m248/Evilex1/P1000887.jpg

And hasn't the new RetroVibe got a bit of Musicman DNA in it? Was it a Menage a trois? and did they get much (french) housework done?

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1331054390' post='1566951']
I kinda like it, always loved the ric..thanks to Chris Squire...until I played one..ugh!
[/quote]

Ditto, I borrowed a '75 fireglow 4001 from a mate at work to record a 4 minute track on an old band's EP. Sounded incredible through the Ampeg stack I was rocking at the time, but i less playable instrument I have yet to find. Couldn't get more than 3 bars in without f***ing everything up.
Beautiful, sexy, horrific instrument.