Why become a member? ×

Shuker Uberhorn 5

shizznit

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1330964111' post='1565441']
Just finished a call with Jon and placed an order for a custom Uberhorn 5 string!

Much respect and appreciation to Dood for helping me get this build off the ground. You're a legend bud!
[/quote]

YAY!! Awesome! Love the spec :)

It's an absolute pleasure! - No problem at all. Great chatting with you mate!
If anyone is thinking about going 'Shuker', I'm more than happy to discuss options as I have a hotline to Jon too! heh.

• 1 month later...

Blimey...I haven't added an update to this thread for ages! I will have to give Jon a quick buzz for some news. He still hasn't sent me the pics hat he said he was going to a couple of months ago! I will also be placing an order for a Jazz bass with Jon over the next few weeks, so I will post a build diary about that project soon.

• 1 month later...

Quick update...

...I spoke to Jon today to see where the build is at. The body is finished and lacquered and the neck is almost finished. We have been discussing how to shape the reverse headstock as the standard 'shape 3' design looks a bit bulky against the sleek appearance of the Uberhorn body. So, for now Jon has left the headstock as a paddle to sketch out an alternative shape which will be unique to this Shuker instrument (or perhaps until someone else orders an Uberhorn with a reverse headstock after this one!).

I felt quite guilty as I knew the top would take Jon ages to fill in all of the hundreds of tiny holes and cracks and I wasn't wrong! Yeah, that took a long time to do! But, he is really pleased with the results and told me it was worth it as the body looks stunning!

Once Jon has cut the headstock then it will be time to throw in the pup, sort out the electronics, attach the hardware, slap on some strings and hey presto!

No pics yet, but Jon has assured they will be on their way over to me me very soon. Quite excited that the bass is not far away from being completed!

• 3 weeks later...

Jon emailed me over the weekend with some pics! I will just upload the body for now as the headstock is not finished yet and I would rather show you when its done, but take my word for it...the neck looks amazing too!

[attachment=118615:IMG_0692.JPG]

The fundamental aim for this bass was to make it light weight and to focus on what I want from a bass when I perform live and the appearance was secondary, but I am glad that I decided to give the girl a nice a pretty face! Really chuffed about how the top looks and sits very well on the swamp ash. The shades of the neck and swamp ash are remarkably similar and everything is matching up very well. The freckles on the fingerboard from the birdseye maple really suits the overall cosmetic appearance of this instrument. I knew it was going to be a looker when Jon and I selected the timbers for this build, but this has certainly gone beyond my expectations. She is a beauty!

Jon has really excelled himself as the top was not easy to work with due to so many holes to fill in and also being quite brittle at only 2mm thick, but the reward has certainly paid off. Simply exquisite! Jon does some fine work indeed.

I thought the myrtle burl top on my old MTD 535 was a belter, but this one is just as nice on any £10k Fodera. Really impressed. Jon dug deep into his timber stock to find that piece and we barely had enough to work with...literally only an inch either side! A stroke of luck, but thank goodness as I would have been gutted if the piece was too small for this build and missed out on all this glory! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The bass is being assembled. Jon has to install the brass nut, finish off the hardware, complete the final electronics testing and set up the instrument to my liking. Almost done! New pics of the bass will be with me very soon and I will post them as soon as I get the email. Jon tells me he picked up a nasty injury a couple of months ago involving the planer. Ouch! It's back on the mend, but he was restricted to lighter less physical jobs until recently. He's a lucky man. That machine can easily remove a digit or two in a blink on an eye.

Even though the bass will be completed pretty soon I probably won't take delivery until June/July. I will be in and out of the country over the next couple of months combined with a house move whilst I am away. I would prefer to take delivery in person whilst all this chaos happens and drive up to Sheffield to visit Jon and pick up the bass instead it being shipped during the house move. Bit of a bummer as I would like to have the bass the day after its completed, but I have been patient since I ordered the bass. An extra couple of months is not going to kill me!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Nothing lately. But, Jon said he will get the bass completed for me by August when we last spoke a few weeks ago. Jon didn't get around to sending me the pics, but I am not bothered about that too much. I want the bass to be a bit of a surprise now. I have seen the body and neck (with paddle headstock), but I have no idea what the bass looks like now that all the carving and finishing has been completed and matched up. So, it will still be a bit of a surprise when I get it so it will be exciting and something to look forward to. I'm hoping to receive the bass within the next 4 weeks.

• 1 month later...

Don't take the time for the completion of my bass for granted. The bass would have been ready back in Jan/Feb, but Jon picked up an injury to his hand which set him back a bit and I have been out of the country for a few months. I am in no dire need for it as I have other basses I can use in the meantime. Jon would usually turn around an order within 12 months or sooner depending on how complicated the build is.