Why become a member? ×

One thing really bugs me about Bass designs..............

apa

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330870488' post='1564086']
HELLO MRS APA!! Hee, hee, hee. :blush:
[/quote]

Lol she says hello back and her hair is now as red as your :blush: :D

Lunch calls :gas:

A

Edited by apa

These things
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TELECASTER-ELECTRO-SOCKET-JACK-NEW-CHROME-PLATED-/160753273933?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item256da44c4d
are the true answer to one of the most cheap, nasty, crappy designs that Fender has ever persevered with.
The socket screws into the cup without the need for a locking nut AND the two fixing screws are at least 10x stronger than the usual bent claw Fender use.

Am puzzled, have owned two USA teles, one from 1977, the other from 1989, well used, never had problem with jack sockets. Socket might be cheap and nasty but seems to work on in mine. My strats on the other hand... jacks keep working loose, despite gnarly lockring and severe tightening.

Mine came out along with the plug one time; it could have been down to an unfortunate flaw in the wood in that area, but once it's out - it's out to stay. Mine currently has a les paul plate on it - but I wish I'd seen that Ebay one at the time.

I also know a young lad who's Squier jack did the same thing, but to be fair he'd left his plugged in leaning against his amp waiting for when it was knocked over sideways....................................... so he was shot and strangled. ;)

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1330896964' post='1564613']
These things
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TELECASTER-ELECTRO-SOCKET-JACK-NEW-CHROME-PLATED-/160753273933?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item256da44c4d"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item256da44c4d[/url]
are the true answer to one of the most cheap, nasty, crappy designs that Fender has ever persevered with.
The socket screws into the cup without the need for a locking nut AND the two fixing screws are at least 10x stronger than the usual bent claw Fender use.
[/quote]

Oh right, OT again.........

I did see them and yep they are alot easier on the eye but a bit too big for my taste. Still its good to see. AND is that THREAD I can see sticking out the centre!!!!!

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1330864013' post='1563886']
Now this has been bugging me for quit some time. Being a designer / engineer its something that catches my eye so take a look at these pictures...............

They all have one thing in common which I consider ugly and old fashioned and while being emensly practical and functional it detracts from all that ergonomic and esthetic blood sweat and tears that goes into the design of these beautiful creatures.

Im talking about [b]THIS[/b]........................

Even when great lengths are taken to make something esthetic they plonk a thread and nut into it......

There are some designs out there, mostly for acoustic guitars like the ones that double are strap pins and this one........

But 99% of electric instruments that you buy from the £150 Squier Affinity to Mr Ritters £15,000 jobs they all have a thread and a nut stuck on them!!

And yes I understand the manufacturing practicalities of such things but its not rocket science to put a similar design to the Neutriks on them. Mr Ritter has no excuse!!

That is all. Have a good Sunday :)

A
[/quote]

At the risk of sounding like I'm at debate club at school...

Jack sockets don't bug me at all. To me, there's something comforting and reassuring about the familiarity of a tried and tested design. I don't find the nut/thread obtrusive in the slightest, it's not as if it's the size of a door knob is it? It's easy to fit, easy to adjust within acceptable tolerances and they're available just about anywhere should you need to source a replacement. I had to go to Dundee Maplin to get a replacement barrel jack for instance, because Aberdeen didn't stock them!

The pursuit of aesthetics (which is rarely objective in its nature) isn't a good reason to reinvent the wheel. What efficiency savings are we making here? Are barrel jacks easier to fit when it comes to assembly? No, not in my experience anyway. Are barrel jacks more sturdy? Perhaps physically, but when they fail repairs take longer and are more expensive (barrel jack sockets cost more to manufacture and therefore purchase and take longer to remove and replace). Also they're far too long to top load a guitar/bass with.

You say the nut/thread of the jack socket affects the ergonomics of the instrument. What makes it unergonomic? Do you hurt your hand on it? Is it difficult to insert the jack plug?

The jack socket is tried, tested, reliable and ubiquitous and as such, I'm a big fan of it.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1331069682' post='1567292']
At the risk of sounding like I'm at debate club at school...

Jack sockets don't bug me at all. To me, there's something comforting and reassuring about the familiarity of a tried and tested design. I don't find the nut/thread obtrusive in the slightest, it's not as if it's the size of a door knob is it? It's easy to fit, easy to adjust within acceptable tolerances and they're available just about anywhere should you need to source a replacement. I had to go to Dundee Maplin to get a replacement barrel jack for instance, because Aberdeen didn't stock them!

The pursuit of aesthetics (which is rarely objective in its nature) isn't a good reason to reinvent the wheel. What efficiency savings are we making here? Are barrel jacks easier to fit when it comes to assembly? No, not in my experience anyway. Are barrel jacks more sturdy? Perhaps physically, but when they fail repairs take longer and are more expensive (barrel jack sockets cost more to manufacture and therefore purchase and take longer to remove and replace). Also they're far too long to top load a guitar/bass with.

You say the nut/thread of the jack socket affects the ergonomics of the instrument. What makes it unergonomic? Do you hurt your hand on it? Is it difficult to insert the jack plug?

The jack socket is tried, tested, reliable and ubiquitous and as such, I'm a big fan of it.
[/quote]

And at the risk of sound a bit too serious about a lazy Sunday post ;)

I agree that the standard jack socket does have a certain charm. It does its job and like I said in my original post I understand the economics etc of it all. But how does Mr Ritter justify that? I didnt however specifically mention or advocate the barrel socket as the answer.I mearly stated that the front face was an improvement over the nut and thread. I couldnt agree more with your statement "The pursuit of aesthetics (which is rarely objective in its nature)".These.........

for example are a work of beauty in themselves since they have beauty through function.
The pursuit of aesthetics (which is rarely objective in its nature) However if we had not kept analysing rather than reinventing the wheel then it would be cartwheels on Ferraris would it not? Where would the lighter and therefore more economical alloys be? So coming back to the socket. There is nothing I wish or feel the need to change about the working parts. Thats the function element and dont tamper with the hole or its size. Thats fine as it is, another functionality. However, and this is a little tenuous but still in my mind valid, when you offer your jack to the the said orofic you are presented with a protrution. Not the best thing to see when you are about to make an entry. What you need for an efficient and easy entry is a guide of some sort. Something which indicates the way. Mother nature usually has the answer. Consider the lilly. The standard jack socket in relation to the rest of the guitar has been left behind. The original fenders were developed with a beauty which came from funtion. The contouring of the later Precisions and the Jazzes etc but to leave the jack in limbo? The same could be said of the machine head elephant ears. Far better and finger friendly contoured designs have come along since but thats a bit too Fender [s]bashing[/s] specific and I didnt intend to go that root.

Anyway Mrs APA's hair is still looking nice :D

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1330867078' post='1563957']
....Give me a face mount every time.
[/quote]

Heh.

Its the jack which, to me, renders very expensive leads as just that, expensive. For all their wonderful joints and low oxygen wire etc the jack has the tiniest point of contact with that little, bent metal tang that is surely a weak point which ruins the chain.

Get some of that modelling clay that hardens in the air. Mold it round the edges of the socket to your aesthetic pleasure and paint. I suspect if you apply a thin layer of oil first then you could remove the hardened clay easily if required later.

If your nut keeps coming undone then apply threadlock. You can get it in Halfords.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1331209229' post='1569377']
Get some of that modelling clay that hardens in the air. Mold it round the edges of the socket to your aesthetic pleasure and paint. I suspect if you apply a thin layer of oil first then you could remove the hardened clay easily if required later.

If your nut keeps coming undone then apply threadlock. You can get it in Halfords.
[/quote]

I like your thinking ;)

Milliput - Thats the stuff

A

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1331076242' post='1567429']
Heh.

Its the jack which, to me, renders very expensive leads as just that, expensive. For all their wonderful joints and low oxygen wire etc the jack has the tiniest point of contact with that little, bent metal tang that is surely a weak point which ruins the chain.
[/quote]

Absolutely. Theres probably microns of surface contact. A split cylinder with a raised internal contact groove would prove a much more effective contact. The extra expense would be pennies.

A

Edited by apa

What bugs me is why pupils will leave the nut loose, then they complain to me about the signal cutting out ... when you take the socket out it has swivelled round and broken one (maybe both) of the wires that should be soldered to it. It only takes a second or two to nip up the nut if it starts getting loose so why do they leave it until there's yet more trouble to fix?? (BTW this applies as much to guitarists as bass players).

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1330864013' post='1563886']
Now this has been bugging me for quit some time. Being a designer / engineer its something that catches my eye so take a look at these pictures...............

They all have one thing in common which I consider ugly and old fashioned and while being emensly practical and functional it detracts from all that ergonomic and esthetic blood sweat and tears that goes into the design of these beautiful creatures.

Im talking about [b][size=4]THIS[/size][/b]........................

Even when great lengths are taken to make something esthetic they plonk a thread and nut into it......

There are some designs out there, mostly for acoustic guitars like the ones that double are strap pins and this one........

But 99% of electric instruments that you buy from the £150 Squier Affinity to Mr Ritters £15,000 jobs they all have a thread and a nut stuck on them!!

And yes I understand the manufacturing practicalities of such things but its not rocket science to put a similar design to the Neutriks on them. Mr Ritter has no excuse!!

That is all. Have a good Sunday :)

A
[/quote]

The other thing (not including the Ritter) that they have in common are scratch plates. Ugly bits of plastic, that presumably only existed (originally) to cover up the routing underneath. I despair everytime I see an otherwise good looking bass with a cheap bit of pastic screwed into what is often a much better looking piece of wood.

Edited by Gwilym

If they were XLRs, the face would be flusher and more aethetically pleasing, plus it would have more contact area and a better locking mechanism. Also, it could give you some extra cores to run both 9v & 18v to your active bass from a power supply.

I have a 1/4" jack AND a 13 pin MIDI jack on my bass because it has the Roland GK system installed. I always use the 13 pin jack because it's a solid connection, though I think the cables are more delicate.

I think jack plugs/sockets are the work of stan. Any connector where the hot can connect to something before the ground has no place in pro-audio. Add to this the fact that is [i]still[/i] commonplace to see them used for power amp outputs and you produce a solid case for them not even deserving to exist, IMO. Same with RCA phono, but that's another story. You can't even argue that they'll pop out easily if the lead is stepped on as wrapping the lead over the strap puts paid to that one (forgetting wireless for now).

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant but they should have been outlawed long ago.

Oh, and I don't like scratch plates either for the reasons mentioned above.

And while we're at it, cheap flat (ie Fender-like) headstocks on basses that are far from it!

I'll go back to work now.

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1331559420' post='1574730']
I think jack plugs/sockets are the work of [b]stan[/b]. Any connector where the hot can connect to something before the ground has no place in pro-audio. Add to this the fact that is [i]still[/i] commonplace to see them used for power amp outputs and you produce a solid case for them not even deserving to exist, IMO. Same with RCA phono, but that's another story. You can't even argue that they'll pop out easily if the lead is stepped on as wrapping the lead over the strap puts paid to that one (forgetting wireless for now).

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant but they should have been outlawed long ago.

Oh, and I don't like scratch plates either for the reasons mentioned above.

And while we're at it, cheap flat (ie Fender-like) headstocks on basses that are far from it!

I'll go back to work now.
[/quote]

Its all Stan's fault is it? ;)

But I agree with what you say

A

• 2 weeks later...