Why become a member? ×

Are Squiers actually any good?

lxxwj

I bought a Squier precision Special P/J Pick-up configuration, Indonesian made, for £100 off ebay. Swapped pickups for S.D. Basslines, installed a Hipshot Drop 'D' tuner and changed the capacitor for a Sprague "Orange Drop" Cap which seems to have given a wider 'Q' to the tone!. Total cost inc. bass, about £240. What a machine! Handles like a dream and sounds awesome through an Ashdown EVO II amp and trace elliot speaker-cabs! I've had Fender-bass fans pick it up for a play and won't put it down! Well suited!
Pete

I have a VM Jazz and agree it's a good instrument. I think you can tell that cost savings have been made though e.g. the tuners are perfectly functional but aren't the smoothest, the plating on the screws isn't too hot and a couple of mine are showing rust. But it plays well and is as quiet as a mouse. Worth the money.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1330251976' post='1554512']By the time you've bought a Squier, replaced the pickups, upgraded the electronics, put a new set of machine heads on it and maybe pushed the boat out and fitted a new bridge - wouldn't it have been cheaper and quicker to have bought an MIA in the first place... :blink:
[/quote]

Possibly... but MIAs are noted for their variability. Get a good Squier and upgrade it and you KNOW you have a good player. BTW, all of the upgrades you mention could be done for less than £200, so even with the most expensive Squier you are still nowhere near the cost of an MIA!

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1330251976' post='1554512']
I'm gonna be totally 'up front' here and admit that my experience with Squier is based on the brand when it first appeared.
[/quote]

Interestingly,when Squier first appeared in the early '80's they pissed all over the US made Fenders. Hence the popularity
of the JV and SQ series.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1330263633' post='1554777']

Interestingly,when Squier first appeared in the early '80's they pissed all over the US made Fenders. Hence the popularity
of the JV and SQ series.
[/quote]

Even Fender themselves admitted this! Dan Smith was quoted as saying that the original Squiers made their guys want to cry, because they found it so difficult to match the quality.

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1330263633' post='1554777']
of the JV and SQ series.
[/quote]

Ah, just you wait.
Those 80's Fenders will be 'highly sought after' in about 5 years time. :)

I have had a couple of Squier's all of them where the Korean made ones from the late 80's, I still have one a 1989 Precision made by Samick. I would say that the MIK models were as good as the present Squier Standard models. I hardly use it now but as it was a gift from my girlfriend (twice) it stays even if it's under the bed.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1330189887' post='1553961']
I've seen and handled some really horrible uninspiring Squiers but also had a few very very good examples..
[/quote]

I would also say the same about Fender basses.Some beauties, some stinkers. Mind, I am limited to lefties. Anyone agree?

The whole Squier/Fender thing has made me realise something very odd going on in my attitudes.

A tin of beans is just a tin of beans as far as I'm concerned, regardless of if it's got Tesco or Heinz printed on the label.
An estate car is just an estate car to me, doesn't matter whether it's made by Renault or Mercedes.
A teeshirt is just a teeshirt, I don't care if it's made by Asda or some upyerbum designer label.

But tell me to choose between a Fender or a Squier and the Squier will lose every time because I wouldn't even pick it up - how odd... :blink:

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1330292401' post='1555390']
The whole Squier/Fender thing has made me realise something very odd going on in my attitudes.

A tin of beans is just a tin of beans as far as I'm concerned, regardless of if it's got Tesco or Heinz printed on the label.
An estate car is just an estate car to me, doesn't matter whether it's made by Renault or Mercedes.
A teeshirt is just a teeshirt, I don't care if it's made by Asda or some upyerbum designer label.

But tell me to choose between a Fender or a Squier and the Squier will lose every time because I wouldn't even pick it up - how odd... :blink:
[/quote]
who was the tennis player who beat someone using a frying pan in a fun match? If you can PLAY, people will be even more impressed with a Squier logo on your headstock.

i got a squier bass its the special lefty model with the p/j setup. its a nice bass to be fair i did take the jazz pickup out and wire in some syemour duncan P bass pickups and they really made it come alive. only thing i would say is it is abit heavy compare to a mexican jazz bass. going to get a squier jazz bass next as i cant really afford fender and squier has impressed me.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1330301332' post='1555542']
who was the tennis player who beat someone using a frying pan in a fun match? If you can PLAY, people will be even more impressed with a Squier logo on your headstock.
[/quote]

No that doesn't really work for me.
I am very self critical and feed my own ego to the exclusion of any outside input.
Other people being impressed at what I am able to do in any aspect of my life isn't what motivates me on any level - in fact I find it toe curlingly embarassing.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1330301332' post='1555542']
If you can PLAY, people will be even more impressed with a Squier logo on your headstock.
[/quote]

What people? Punters? They couldn't care less. Only other bass players are remotely interested in what is on your headstock... and what they hell do they know? Nuffink! :lol: ;)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1330303188' post='1555557']
Other people being impressed at what I am able to do in any aspect of my life isn't what motivates me on any level - in fact I find it toe curlingly embarassing.
[/quote]

I'm not quite as bad as that... but I'd far rather have one happy punter tell me they liked the set than ten bass players comment on my use of low-mid frequencies to fill my sonic hole, etc.

And my choice of instrument is my choice - it's nothing to do with anyone else!

My main gigging bass at the moment is a natural VM Jazz which I had a set of EMG X pickups installed and a battery box fitted in the back. There's a few minor finish flaws on the neck but only very minor (a bit of a side dot is missing and you can feel the join with the strip down the back of the neck). But it's a mass produced bass that I bought mail order and for the money I love it. It plays great, sounds great with the EMGs and if anything happened to it cheap to replace. I personally wouldn't want to take a £1300 American jazz to some of the pubs I play at.

I'm currently looking at getting the Deluxe V active jazz bass as I want an active 5 string jazz with full size jazz body, jazz string spacing and 4+1 tuners on a traditional style headstock. The Deluxe ticks all the boxes and the price tag doesn't scare the wife.

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1330189340' post='1553945']
Are Squier basses actually any good?
[/quote]
Mine is. I have an Indonesian Squier P-Bass Special - basically a P/J with Jazz neck & P body. It sounds excellent even with the stock pups, and I am currently playing it in preference to my US Jazz and my Gibson Thunderbird

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1330336032' post='1555708']
I'm not quite as bad as that... but I'd far rather have one happy punter tell me they liked the set than ten bass players comment on my use of low-mid frequencies to fill my sonic hole, etc.
[/quote]
I think most people pick up a few 'odd' personality traits during their lifetime.
The key to understanding people is to understand your own motives and actions under different circumstances - one of these days I'll manage it. :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1330336032' post='1555708']
And my choice of instrument is my choice - it's nothing to do with anyone else!
[/quote]
Absolutely.
If it's played right and sounds right then it shouldn't matter if it's an Encore or an Overwater.

Had a Japanese P Bass from the early 80's that was very good, then got a Korean Jazz Bass from 87-88 that was better, probably the same parts to be honest. I think it was made by Young Chang "E1 + 6 digits with silver serial = made by Young Chang in 1987-88.

I later found out that Young Chang used to make guitars for Fender Japan. When Fender quit making in Japan Young Chang started his own company and initially made stuff for Squier. I think he also made his own copies and Fender sacked him. Great basses, if you can find one.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1330361338' post='1556221']
[b]I had a Squire P once[/b], it was crap, that's the price you pay for being cack handed, it's hard to try before you buy
[/quote]

I thought he used a Rick? :P

I have an Indonesian Squier Jazz circa 1991, and an '11 VM Natural Jazz, both of which are my 'go-to' basses for everything. They've not been modified either AFAIK, so the Indonesian has rusty polepieces and everything!

[quote name='Jayben' timestamp='1330366604' post='1556332']
I thought he used a Rick? :P

I have an Indonesian Squier Jazz circa 1991, and an '11 VM Natural Jazz, both of which are my 'go-to' basses for everything. They've not been modified either AFAIK, so the Indonesian has rusty polepieces and everything!
[/quote]
My VM had rusty screws and pole pieces after 3 gigs! (see my other post about acidic sweat!) but I've kept the screws on as it looks more authentic :)