Why become a member? ×

Sandberg love!

pietruszka

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1435305955' post='2807395']
Not got my Sandberg yet, been waiting since January for my custom build California TT tobacco sunburst with ebony fretboard, it should hopefully be ready in the next couple of weeks. Anyone seen or tried the 2015 California's?
There are a few differences with the new models and wanted to see what people think?
[/quote]

I really like the look of them. But, just ordered my VM5, which will be the older model. I was debating whether to hold out for a new version, but couldn't resist mine when I saw it! Plus, I need it now and couldn't afford to wait until they're available.

Here's mine - it's a passive California TT4 from Bass Direct. My first non-Fender in ages!

It's more of a creamy colour than it looks in the picture here, and is soft aged. It's exceptionally lightweight - about 3.8kilos which is very much less than my other main gigging bass, a 1995 USA Precision, and a relief on my shoulders now I'm the wrong side of 40.

Sound wise it doesn't have that same huge bass thud of a precision, because, well, it isn't a precision. What it does have is a tighter, more focused, low end, with a good bit of grit, which after a couple of gigs is really beginning to grow on me.

It also has enormously good articulation and note separation, so that everything is really clear and even sounding, with amazingly clear harmonics especially on the bridge pickup solo'd.

It's a different sound to what I normally gig with and it's taken a couple of gigs to get used to. But my drummer said he can hear me much more clearly - I guess the slightly blurry thump of a cranked P bass is different to the shimmering articulation of a J-style bass.

So far so good.

Edited by bassbiscuits

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1435486187' post='2809140']
Here's mine - it's a passive California TT4 from Bass Direct. My first non-Fender in ages!

It's more of a creamy colour than it looks in the picture here, and is soft aged. It's exceptionally lightweight - about 3.8kilos which is very much less than my other main gigging bass, a 1995 USA Precision, and a relief on my shoulders now I'm the wrong side of 40.

Sound wise it doesn't have that same huge bass thud of a precision, because, well, it isn't a precision. What it does have is a tighter, more focused, low end, with a good bit of grit, which after a couple of gigs is really beginning to grow on me.

It also has enormously good articulation and note separation, so that everything is really clear and even sounding, with amazingly clear harmonics especially on the bridge pickup solo'd.

It's a different sound to what I normally gig with and it's taken a couple of gigs to get used to. But my drummer said he can hear me much more clearly - I guess the slightly blurry thump of a cranked P bass is different to the shimmering articulation of a J-style bass.

So far so good.
[/quote]

Congratulations, Bassbiscuits, and welcome to Club Sandberg! Yes, clarity is a hallmark of Sandberg basses in general - and the more you play them, the more you appreciate that aspect of the Sandberg sound. You can easily get them to sound more fuzzy/dirty and generally Fendery if you want to, but you can't clean up a Fender, so I find Sandbergs much more versatile overall. And the build quality is streets ahead, of course.

Love the look of yours - creme/tort and a matching headstock - one of my all-time favourite colour combos! Enjoy!

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1435616723' post='2810771']
Here's my VM5 - custom ordered from Bass Direct; arrived a couple of weeks ago, and I've hardly put it down since.

I love it.

[url="http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/grammefriday/media/Sandberg%20VM5/photo_zpslla6q7ik.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Is that Marley Blue?

There was a Marley blue four string at Bass Direct which I'd seen on the website before I went. I dismissed it cos I wasn't planning to spend that much money. Lovely tho.
Little did I know.
I ended up spending the same amount and buying a brand new TT4 instead!

Here's my VM5 which I got from Bass direct in May (the picture is from their website too)

I'd been playing a mex Jazz V up to that point and the difference is startling!

What Strings are people generally using for replacing the supplied Sandberg ones? I'd like to keep the same gauge if possible as the setup was flawless and I dont want to mess it up!!

[attachment=195460:VM5Front590.jpg]

[attachment=195461:VM5Top590.jpg]

[attachment=195462:VM5Head.jpg]

[attachment=195463:VM5Rear590.jpg]

My VM5 California Supreme came through today, after an absolute headache courtesy for Parcelforce...

Only had a quick go, but, wow. I'm really pleased! Seems very capable and versatile. Great setup out of the box too! Finish and frets are perfect.

Pics to follow!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1435763728' post='2812238']
Here's my VM5 which I got from Bass direct in May (the picture is from their website too)

What Strings are people generally using for replacing the supplied Sandberg ones? I'd like to keep the same gauge if possible as the setup was flawless and I dont want to mess it up!!

[/quote]

Yeah I'm confused by what gauge are on mine - apparently they're 40-100 but they definitely feel more like 45-105, unless it's just cos the whole guitar is stiff and new.

Mine are still on from buying it as they sound and feel great.

[/quote]

Personally, I can't stand the stock strings, and I've changed them pretty quickly on both of the brand new Sandbergs I've had. I much prefer either d'addario prosteels or Dunlop Super Brights (which is what I'm currently using). I'm using 040"-.120" gauge, but obviously that's entirely personal. As far as the setup goes, I wouldn't worry too much, because you'd probably have to tweak it within the next 6 months or so even if you kept the same strings on! :D

Gorgeous bass btw!

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1435616723' post='2810771']
Here's my VM5 - custom ordered from Bass Direct; arrived a couple of weeks ago, and I've hardly put it down since.

I love it.

[url="http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/grammefriday/media/Sandberg%20VM5/photo_zpslla6q7ik.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Very nice! I was toying with the idea of Marley blue in the past. Beautiful bass man! :D

Edited by TRBboy

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1435788203' post='2812555']
Personally, I can't stand the stock strings, and I've changed them pretty quickly on both of the brand new Sandbergs I've had. I much prefer either d'addario prosteels or Dunlop Super Brights (which is what I'm currently using). I'm using 040"-.120" gauge, but obviously that's entirely personal. As far as the setup goes, I wouldn't worry too much, because you'd probably have to tweak it within the next 6 months or so even if you kept the same strings on! :D

Gorgeous bass btw!
[/quote]

Yeah I know you're right, just trying to minimize any pain, like I said, the setup of the bass was absolutely perfect, easily the best setup bass I've ever played by a country mile. I've done my own setups forever and this one was better than anything I've ever managed to do with any other bass I've owned. The B, E and A have gone a bit duff for my liking now though..

I'm pretty confident doing setups so I guess I'll just swap them over and see what happens!

It's supplied with 40-60-80-100-128 and I'm gonna be putting on 45-65-85-105-135 so I wont be surprised if the neck shifts a little. I've got the right tools for the job (this is the key, plus some knowledge and patience!) so should be OK to correct for the gauge change..

[IMG]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg488/mattdigweed/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-07-02%2019.51.10_zpsefwaf0xg.jpg[/IMG]

Not a very good photo, but here she is! Really liking it so far. Gigs are stacked right up for July and I can't wait to get started!

Edited by M@23

[quote name='NellyOnBass' timestamp='1435175566' post='2806310']
Absolutely cracking basses, love mine it has a very wide range of tones and in my opinion plays better than a Fender, here it is the MarloweDK signature model highly recommended.
[/quote]
Love these! Really hot.
In general I'm positive about the recent style changes, but I think the MarloweDK sig definitely looks better in traditional style like yours. Wouldn't be at all surprised if these become collectors items in the future!

[quote name='NellyOnBass' timestamp='1435175566' post='2806310']
Absolutely cracking basses, love mine it has a very wide range of tones and in my opinion plays better than a Fender, here it is the MarloweDK signature model highly recommended.
[/quote]
Love these! Really hot.
In general I'm positive about the recent style changes, but I think the MarloweDK sig definitely looks better in traditional style like yours. Wouldn't be at all surprised if these become collectors items in the future!

[/quote]
Stunning bass, LewisK - congratulations!
Re. your strings question, Mark Stickley told me that Sandbergs come with GHS Bass Boomers as stock, if that helps.