Why become a member? ×

.....is it wrong??

CHRISDABASS

[quote name='610*c' post='171892' date='Apr 7 2008, 11:05 PM']Will these chamges improve thing's??? Or is it just an experiment??[/quote]

well.........here's the thing! i really like the maple neck on one of my basses but it happens to be a pretty heavy instrument (which im not a fan of).......meanwhile i have a jazz that is super light (it feels like half the weight) but it has a rosewood board which im not as keen on! and this lighter bass also has better pickups.....so..........if i put the maple neck onto the lighter body (which has the good pickups) then surely after a bit of tweeking here and there i will end up with the best of both worlds?!

and then i will also end up with a slightly heavy bass with a rosewood board!

but at the end of the day i will have all the elements that i love in one bass rather than not being quite happy with them as they were originally

ooh it food for thought!

:)

Mate, I have five Precisions and I've swapped necks so many times I forget which neck came with which body :) Do it, find your perfect bass and have some fun, I love the clip of Jaco swapping a fretted Precision neck for a fretless Jazz neck during the 'Modern Electric Bass' DVD. When all's said and done, bodies and necks are rarely made specifically for each other (especially at Fender), and although it might devalue a vintage bass to swap necks (although even most Fender 'experts' can't really tell whether a neck is truly original to a specific body as Fender used to mix and match to such a degree), who cares :huh:
Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='171933' date='Apr 7 2008, 11:39 PM']Mate, I have five Precisions and I've swapped necks so many times I forget which neck came with which body ;) Do it, find your perfect bass and have some fun, I love the clip of Jaco swapping a fretted Precision neck for a fretless Jazz neck during the 'Modern Electric Bass' DVD. When all's said and done, bodies and necks are rarely made specifically for each other (especially at Fender), and although it might devalue a vintage bass to swap necks (although even most Fender 'experts' can't really tell whether a neck is truly original to a specific body as Fender used to mix and match to such a degree), who cares ;)
Chris[/quote]

NICE ONE!!

looks like im gonna be up a while now!!

cant wait to see, here, feel the results!

:huh:

Serious question? I love my recently acquired maple neck marcus miller jazz. I have a great '97 US jazz with rosewood board and I'm thinking of getting a maple board for it. Its not vintage obviously but is a great bass and I would consider buying a maple board for it. Old or new? any body recommend seller or company?

cheers.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='171941' date='Apr 7 2008, 11:49 PM']Serious question? I love my recently acquired maple neck marcus miller jazz. I have a great '97 US jazz with rosewood board and I'm thinking of getting a maple board for it. Its not vintage obviously but is a great bass and I would consider buying a maple board for it. Old or new? any body recommend seller or company?

cheers.[/quote]

You've several options!

i) Get a luthier to re-board your current neck in a material of your choice. It needn't necessarily be Maple or Rosewood. There's Bocate, Wenge, Ebony, Pau Ferro... etc. etc.

ii) Purchase a new neck from someone such as Warmoth, Status, Moses and so on.

iii) Dig around and see if a second-hand neck crops up, but there may be fitting issues!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='172026' date='Apr 8 2008, 09:12 AM']You've several options!

i) Get a luthier to re-board your current neck in a material of your choice. It needn't necessarily be Maple or Rosewood. There's Bocate, Wenge, Ebony, Pau Ferro... etc. etc.

ii) Purchase a new neck from someone such as Warmoth, Status, Moses and so on.

iii) Dig around and see if a second-hand neck crops up, but there may be fitting issues![/quote]

Good necks by Warmoth, Allparts and the like often come up on the bay. Most are standard Fender fit. I've bought several for my collection of Mongrels and never hada problem
Chris

I like the c shape skinny neck and maple board on my marcus miller and I'm thinking about getting a similar neck for my standard US '97. Would the existing tuners be able to be used in the new neck? Would the 3 bolt of the skinny 70's neck match up with the 4 bolt? Would a standard fender neck pocket be suitable? I seem to be obsessed with maple? but some other woods have been mentioned that I know nothing about? It's a bit like the end of soap is it not?

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='172049' date='Apr 8 2008, 09:43 AM']is it your geddy your changing the neck of with your new jazz???
or did you get more GAS and get another jazz?[/quote]

its the geddy neck and bridge on my bravewood body :)

the MIA (S1 now with j retro) is stayin exactly as it is!!! perfection!

hey everyone!

i have completed my little project of swapping necks and bridges around!

IVE CREATED A MONSTER!!! HAHAHAHA

so here's what the bass is made up from

a bravewood body

badass 2 bridge

wizard 84 pick ups

jap geddy lee neck

and it now has a audere 2 band pre with z mode switch!!

and the verdict??.............AWESOME!!

;)

pics will be up sometime soon

"the MIA (S1 now with j retro) is stayin exactly as it is!!! perfection!"

[/quote]

aaahhhhh i can breath easy again now,for a moment i thought you were going to butcher the most perfect jazz bass i've ever played/owned :huh:

she is a beaut' aint she.

Edited by artisan

So you guys would disagree with those who argue that too much fiddling around in this department will wear out the bolt/hole relationship (Yes, that sounds rude, very good)? I've not got much experience in this area, but from changing pickguards etc I have noticed it's very easy to wear out threads in the wood- is this not the case with necks? I've always been pensive about going anywhere neck bolts for this reason but I'm interested to know if you guys think I'm being over cautious...?

G

[quote name='artisan' post='174580' date='Apr 11 2008, 02:47 PM']"the MIA (S1 now with j retro) is stayin exactly as it is!!! perfection!"

aaahhhhh i can breath easy again now,for a moment i thought you were going to butcher the most perfect jazz bass i've ever played/owned ;)

she is a beaut' aint she.[/quote]

honestly ive never had a bass like it!

every time ive played it with the band ive noticed that there is something special about it! there's nothing missing! do you know what i mean?

all my bass playing life there's always been that little something missing in my sound, somethin i was continually searching for!

and ive had a lot of basses along the way!! and i mean a lot!!

so yeah im my search seems to be over!

really happy with it!!

putting this other one together has been a really good experience too! ive come out with a stunning instrument that i'd say is as good as that perfect jazz mentioned above!!

im a very happy man!!

[quote name='artisan' post='174839' date='Apr 11 2008, 09:23 PM']aha i notice you don't say how long its over for Chris :huh:

nice one mate i'm really pleased you're happy with it.[/quote]

hahahahahaha yeah perhaps i should have said "over for now" just to avoid looking stupid in two weeks when i try and buy another bass of one of you good people! lol

[quote name='metaltime' post='171927' date='Apr 7 2008, 11:29 PM']+1 i dont think you can do any harm[/quote]

My first (pessimistic) thought:-

The more you screw in and out of wood, the more likely it is that you strip the threads.

I'd be inclined to leave well alone unless it's for a good reason.

I had to have a '78 Precision repaired 'cos 2 of the 4 neck screws were stripped...

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='175036' date='Apr 12 2008, 10:15 AM']My first (pessimistic) thought:-

The more you screw in and out of wood, the more likely it is that you strip the threads.

I'd be inclined to leave well alone unless it's for a good reason.

I had to have a '78 Precision repaired 'cos 2 of the 4 neck screws were stripped...[/quote]

Yeah that was my angle on it too, but no-one seems to have considered this?