Why become a member? ×

Who has a case for their Double Bass

basskit_case

Hello,

Just wanted to ask who owns a case for their double bass?

I got hold of a G4M 1/2 size DB last week, I am just dabbling at the moment to see if its for me, but the size of the hard case is becoming a problem as I have nowhere to put it, its currently looming large behind the stairs.

I am unlikely to be getting lessons anytime soon so it wont be sat in the case for the foreseeable future.

Do you all think it would be a bad move to sale the case on?

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1329920343' post='1549745']
I suppose you could keep children or pets in it?
[/quote]

True - and smuggle out that stash of body parts that's beginning to smell ;) After many years of pretending to be a gigging musician my neighbours no longer question me taking large bags in and out of my car in the middle of the night. Bonus!!!

In all seriousness - a good padded gig bag will serve you well. Not only does it protect your bass, but it makes for a great sleeping bag after laborious soundchecks. Just make sure to set your alarm well before show time so that the noise of the audience doesn't wake you up and you don't end up holding your bass, trying to remember how to tune it as your head is swirling in a heavy post gig fog and the artist you're playing with walks onstage and starts playing the first number. That kind of behaviour is frowned upon. Or so I've been told......

I bought a Kolstein double bass with a full-on moulded hard plastic (fibreglass?) case with metal buckles etc. Its absolutely enormous! I would not contemplate ever using it for a gig and instead its sat taking up a large proportion of my study. I would take the advice above and flog it on eBay and buy a good padded case instead

Edited by Clarky

A hard case is good for flying your bass abroad - I've done it. Or for loading your bass into a van that's handled by roadies - I've done that too.

Any other use it's a complete PITA. It's hernia-inducingly heavy, too long for your estate car or whatever and a bit of a waste of time.

[quote name='lockpicker1969' timestamp='1329934428' post='1550037']
i was thinking of getting a case. just bringing my db home from the shop where i bought it last friday and i knocked the bridge out of position. it was supplied with a padded case but this not protect it from this happening
[/quote]

It takes quite a whack to move a bridge out of place - just try moving it by hand on purpose.

I have a crappy canvas/vinyl bag... but it does have some Glastonbury mud on it. Tres mojo!

I'm considering getting a decent padded gig bag, but I wonder if they take up as much space as a hard case? My gig bag folds up and goes under the chair in my bass room - I can't see a heavy duty padded gig bag foldin up very much.

If I had enough room for a double bass sized case, then I would have enough room for another double bass....so I'd get another double bass!

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1329991908' post='1550823']
I have a crappy canvas/vinyl bag... but it does have some Glastonbury mud on it. Tres mojo!

I'm considering getting a decent padded gig bag, but I wonder if they take up as much space as a hard case? My gig bag folds up and goes under the chair in my bass room - I can't see a heavy duty padded gig bag foldin up very much.

If I had enough room for a double bass sized case, then I would have enough room for another double bass....so I'd get another double bass!
[/quote]

Even the soft cases are a pest to store. They seem to have minds of their own, so when you fold them up they unravel themselves over 10 minutes with lots of shooshing, creaking noises that make you jump. Under the bed is good (once they've quietened down).

I'm going to try hanging mine on a wall.

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1330002432' post='1551130']
Even the soft cases are a pest to store. They seem to have minds of their own, so when you fold them up they unravel themselves over 10 minutes with lots of shooshing, creaking noises that make you jump. Under the bed is good (once they've quietened down).

[/quote]

Hmm. I've just moved house and have struck a deal with Mrs Rev that she can have a whole room for shoes and bags and piles of paper on the condition that I get to use 2/3 of the dining room as a bass room AND she keeps all her crap out of the bedroom.
If I stared shoving bass bags under the bed I think she'd see that as a breach of contract and resume her habitual use of the clothes storage potential of the bedroom floor.
Think I'll stick with my crappy canvas bag.

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1329933364' post='1550018']
Go for one with wheels, makes life much easier. I use one from Tom & Will.
[/quote]
Just be careful that the bass isn't resting on the fastenings inside- I have some chips through the finish on my bass where the fasteners holding the wheel on have rubbed the back of the bass.
[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1330002432' post='1551130']

[/quote]
You can also kick them into shape- try doing that with a hardshell.
In seriousness, I would definitely go for the heavier duty ones. I have a 4/4 size one which is a bit of a beast, but I feel much happier when I'm out an about with the bass (wheels aside). They're not [i]that[/i] hard to fold up.