Why become a member? ×

Dirty Loops Again

Pete Academy

Interestingly he gets his rather unusual sound because one of the pickups on his TRB is broken and the output is very low. He likes the sound so much he's never bothered to have it fixed. Great bassist by the way. Already well known in his native country where he's been a top bassist since age 15.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1329863000' post='1548896']
Their bass player is way better than Wooten already. I don't like their music but they are clearly very good at it.
[/quote]

Pretty much what I think too. I can't bear what I've seen on youtube, but I wish I was that good.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1329900709' post='1549174']
Can someone please explain what is so "awesome" about this band?

They are neither dirty or loopy (in any sense of the word) and no all their clips seem to be of them playing covers.

I see three musicians with obvious technical ability but apparently no real creative talent.
[/quote]

The creativity is in the chord changes, syncopation, form, arrangement........the list can go on.

Mixed with their technical ability & tightness it takes it to a new level.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1329900709' post='1549174']
Can someone please explain what is so "awesome" about this band?

They are neither dirty or loopy (in any sense of the word) and no all their clips seem to be of them playing covers.

I see three musicians with obvious technical ability but apparently no real creative talent.
[/quote]
In one sense I agree it would be cooler if they didn't do covers, but that's obviously been a great way to get noticed. Disagree that it wouldn't take creativity to do what they do though. ;) Just wait for their upcoming album with original stuff! :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1329860157' post='1548800']
He is the next Victor Wooten.
[/quote]

Why does he have to be labelled "The next" anything?

I can appreciate they are all great players, but everything I've seen/heard of them so far just comes across a bit too much like a music college end of year concert, like an episode of "Fame" guest directed by Dream Theatre.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1329904300' post='1549248']
I think they've been quite clever doing the re-works of popular covers. They've gotten themselves noticed by a lot of industry bods...... They are very young, talented and setting themselves up for life with the right people....
[/quote]

Exactly, and they are having fun and profit re-orchestrating, arranging and reharmonising well known pop songs. But it's also a great tool to get noticed.

They are superb.

However, who knows if their originals are going to have the same appeal. I'm ready to be disappointed. It's one thing to have fun covering other songs, their personalities and musicianship come across really well. But what will Johan's lyrics be like? They could be hideously cheesy and the music might be the same. We'll have to wait and see won't we.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1329936621' post='1550084']
Dem geezers testing some Source-Audio bass effects. Not interesting to me, but it may be to some of the Bootsy fans.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h16R_i087vw&feature=b%C2%AD-vrec[/media]
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing that video :)

There were some great sounds and AWESOME playing in there.
P.S, i am a dirty loops fan :)

Yes Dirty Loops are astonishing - if they turn a new generation of kids on to playing instruments rather than miming to karaoke machines then more power to them!

On that note I've been wanting to post this for a while - I know Uriah Duffy has his fans/haters around here - but this is really impressive:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CSwyP0cfgc[/media]

I will probably be buying the DL album when it finally arrives - I really want them to succeed - it'll be amazing if they do (they probably will) - I love the Youtube comment under the 'Baby' video that says something like 'Justin Bieber tried to perform this song but failed' or something...

M