Why become a member? ×

Bass player wanted for New Model Army

GRAHAM SG1

Fingers crossed its someone from here, well done to everyone who had a crack at it! I know its nerve wracking, recently got pretty far through auditions for a quit the day job gig only to suddenly get radio silence. Thought I'd ballsed it up but fast forward six weeks and they've just announced they're breaking up!

Looking forward to the big reveal, fingers crossed for the BC crowd!

For the sake of closure...the winner is.....
[url="http://www.newmodelarmy.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=644:new-bassist-announced&catid=1:news&Itemid=58"]http://www.newmodelarmy.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=644:new-bassist-announced&catid=1:news&Itemid=58[/url]

Well, it seems like the show's over on this thread, but I do have some questions to the other guys who travelled to Bradford to try out. Namely this.. Apart from playing (obviously), what else did you in the studio? I'm asking only because if I had the chance again I think I would do a lot of things differently, and maybe this will be some use to others who might get a try-out with a name band. I don't think there is a book in the library covering this kind of stuff. So tell us what you did, and what on reflection you might alter?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1333874084' post='1607501']
He certainly looks the part.
I just knew I shouldn't have had a shave and a haircut before the audition.

;)
[/quote]

I told you the tweed jacket and patches was [i]too f***ing far[/i], Discreet :lol:

Good grief are they still going ? I remember my Grandad telling me about when they were touted as the next big thing way back in 1926 or whenever it was. Didnt the country go on strike over them or something ?

Oh and John Logie Baird invented something, just so that people could see as well as hear them on his new radio vision device.
see the worlds first ever broadcasted pic, a little known fact is that this was a picture of New Model army singer Justin Sullivan from the summer of 1926 at the Ally Pally

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1333992250' post='1609326']
Good grief are they still going ? I remember my Grandad telling me about when they were touted as the next big thing way back in 1926 or whenever it was. Didnt the country go on strike over them or something ?

Oh and John Logie Baird invented something, just so that people could see as well as hear them on his new radio vision device.
see the worlds first ever broadcasted pic, a little known fact is that this was a picture of New Model army singer Justin Sullivan from the summer of 1926 at the Ally Pally

[/quote]

It's disappointing that you put up a post like this, Daz. If you took the time to read through the whole thread you will see that a good many BC'ers took up the challenge for this gig, investing their talent, time and money. But, I guess you are trying to be funny.

If you looked at NMA's web-site you will see that they auditioned 20 people from 80 applicants, and (I believe) 5 of those applicants were from the BC family. That's a 25% representation, and one which I think we should all be very proud.

I had a quick look at your profile, and all of your own influences pre-date NMA by a long chalk...

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]My bass influences are [/size][/font][/color][b]JJ burnell [/b][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3](Stranglers), [/size][/font][/color][b]Youth[/b][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] (Killing Joke), [/size][/font][/color][b]Steve Garvey [/b][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]and[/size][/font][/color][b] Steve Diggle[/b][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3](Buzzcocks), [/size][/font][/color][b]Charlie Casey[/b][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3](Menace) [/size][/font][/color][b]Geezer Butler[/b][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3](Black Sabbath) [/size][/font][/color][b]Peter Hook [/b][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3](Joy Division) and last but certainly not least a huge influence has been, and still is, the great [/size][/font][/color][b]Jah Wobble[/b]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]So, if the Stranglers or the PIL came knocking, would you shoo them away for a crack at 'Bring me the Horizon', what with you being so young and vital in your mid 40's?[/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]I'm not so sure whether Justin Sullivan was around in 1926, by my reckoning he is 55 years old, although when I shook his hand and knocked out a few tunes with him a couple of weeks ago, he had an energy and immediateness that would give many 20 year old's a run for their money, in spite of 3 decades in the business, with god knows how many album sales, a loyal fan-base and never losing artistic integrity.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You never know Daz, with a band like New Model Army, maybe ther best is yet to come. After all there is some old codger called Bruce Springsteen who's latest album is tipped to do very well in the hit parade, so perhaps there is hope for us all.[/font]

I think where I went wrong was wearing my Wham - Wake Me Up Before You Go Go T-shirt :lol: I just thought being a big band from the 80's they would get it and we could get down on it together :D I even ironed it and washed it with Daz but clearly this was the wrong approach :)

I'm going back to jeans and t-shirts and scruffy hair from now on. Sod em :lol:

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1333995141' post='1609389']
It's disappointing that you put up a post like this, Daz. If you took the time to read through the whole thread you will see that a good many BC'ers took up the challenge for this gig, investing their talent, time and money. But, I guess you are trying to be funny.

If you looked at NMA's web-site you will see that they auditioned 20 people from 80 applicants, and (I believe) 5 of those applicants were from the BC family. That's a 25% representation, and one which I think we should all be very proud.

I had a quick look at your profile, and all of your own influences pre-date NMA by a long chalk...

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]My bass influences are [/size][/font][/color][b]JJ burnell [/b][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3](Stranglers), [/size][/font][/color][b]Youth[/b][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] (Killing Joke), [/size][/font][/color][b]Steve Garvey [/b][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]and[/size][/font][/color][b] Steve Diggle[/b][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3](Buzzcocks), [/size][/font][/color][b]Charlie Casey[/b][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3](Menace) [/size][/font][/color][b]Geezer Butler[/b][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3](Black Sabbath) [/size][/font][/color][b]Peter Hook [/b][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3](Joy Division) and last but certainly not least a huge influence has been, and still is, the great [/size][/font][/color][b]Jah Wobble[/b]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So, if the Stranglers or the PIL came knocking, would you shoo them away for a crack at 'Bring me the Horizon', what with you being so young and vital in your mid 40's?[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'm not so sure whether Justin Sullivan was around in 1926, by my reckoning he is 55 years old, although when I shook his hand and knocked out a few tunes with him a couple of weeks ago, he had an energy and immediateness that would give many 20 year old's a run for their money, in spite of 3 decades in the business, with god knows how many album sales, a loyal fan-base and never losing artistic integrity.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You never know Daz, with a band like New Model Army, maybe ther best is yet to come. After all there is some old codger called Bruce Springsteen who's latest album is tipped to do very well in the hit parade, so perhaps there is hope for us all.[/font]
[/quote]

Nice post.

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1333995382' post='1609393']
I think where I went wrong was wearing my Wham - Wake Me Up Before You Go Go T-shirt :lol: I just thought being a big band from the 80's they would get it and we could get down on it together :D I even ironed it and washed it with Daz[/quote]

Well, it seems Daz is a poor detergent, but where you went wrong was ironing it

Edited by billyapple