Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky Metroline

Icunningham

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1329829471' post='1547976']
The reason I side with Musicman is because they make virtually everything themselves, in their own USA factory.
[/quote]

The Metro's are not exactly mass production either. Nor is Tokyo a cheap location for production. I guess the one thing you won't find Sadowsky to compromise on the is the quality of craftsmanship and the components used. These are all factors contributing to the price of the instruments. You won't find many threads of people complaining about quality issues with the Metro's.

If you dig the Sadowsky sound and if you think its worth it to you is an entirely different matter.

Edited by letrab

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1329831419' post='1548030']
The argument about making their own pickups etc doesn't matter to me, nor where it's made. Only the end result is important to me. That's why we all need to play a bass to be able to tell whether it works for us, just knowing about its components isn't enough.
[/quote]

Agreed, and its all down to personal taste. Personally, I love the Musicman H tone...and I always have since I started bass. It was always, in my head, P, J or Ray, and the Ray for me just edged it a little.

I can definitely see a Sadowsky in my future as Roger has a very good eye for design and quality, there is no doubt about that. I just think we get stung quite heavily in the UK.

I would also prefer Bass Direct to be the main dealer over GuitarGuitar, because Mark would make sure they are all setup perfect and looked after at the shop.

I have a Sadowsky NYC, purchased in the USA and worth every penny, as it was bought a number of years ago when the dollar was weak and i did not have to worry about import taxes. Roger makes a top class bass but IMO they are not worth the price being charged currently in the UK. On the other hand it you reside in the USA and can try one out off the rack and it appeals to you, it would be a very worthwhile purchase and will hold its value very well.another aspect is after sales service and on this score Sadowsky will not be beaten. I have never used a Metro so will not comment but agree that they are on the expensive side

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1329752995' post='1546776']
Wow. If the NYC models are THAT much better, I'm apprehensive to try one - I got enough GAS for a Metro! :P
[/quote]
Looking at your gear in your sig, I'm sure if you wanted to do some trading you could get one!
[quote name='Icunningham' timestamp='1329748395' post='1546659']
Hey

Just been browsing and saw the Sadowsky Metroline and was wondering is it worth that extra bit of money over other high end bass brands such as rickenbacker, American deluxe fenders and musicman basses and so on. I'm not talking in terms of sound I'm talking about feel and quality. Would like to know other peoples opinions on these basses.

Hope to hear your opinions soon :)

Thanks

Ian
[/quote]

I tried a load. They were well made and felt great. - and this goes into the sound, but the ones I played were not exceptional musical instruments and sounded very flat until the (brilliant) preamp was engaged.
Personally if you gave me £1700 a metro would not be on the shopping list. But I would try a few more to check. :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1329842523' post='1548347']
Looking at your gear in your sig, I'm sure if you wanted to do some trading you could get one!

I tried a load. They were well made and felt great. - and this goes into the sound, but the ones I played were not exceptional musical instruments and sounded very flat until the (brilliant) preamp was engaged.
Personally if you gave me £1700 a metro would not be on the shopping list. But I would try a few more to check. :)
[/quote]

I have had three metros and was unimpressed with all of them

I do agree the pre-amp is great when used with jaz pups, which is what it was designed for.

So hey, why not save some doh, get a sado outboard pre-amp (used £100 to £150) and use that with a fender jass - as god intended :lol:

I agree it would be great if Bass Direct handled them.

I also agree that the pre-amp is key which means that the passive mode is flat in comparison. Consequently, I never use it but it's good to know it's there if the battery dies mid-song.

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1329844142' post='1548391']
I have had three metros and was unimpressed with all of them

I do agree the pre-amp is great when used with jaz pups, which is what it was designed for.

So hey, why not save some doh, get a sado outboard pre-amp (used £100 to £150) and use that with a fender jass - as god intended :lol:
[/quote]

I think I can quantify my unimpressed state like this....
The best instruments I have played have been very resonant if unplugged. There has been something about all the great basses I have played, and it's a certain resonance unplugged. Open my hiscox case and just puck a string on my JV and the whole bass sings, if the room is quiet it fills the room. The valenti I had did the same, the FSR75ri did (but deeper) my warwick does..... even the old cimar jazz I had did (and was a joy to play because of it), other basses I have tried don't, they sound flatter, and although they may be great basses they don't have that special something.

Now in some cases this is a awful setup. Other old basses I have done up I have improved immensely with a correctly tensioned neck and tight neck joint. But with a new bass the neck should be on properly and also you can check the bow in the neck (normally great)

The sadowskys I tried, sounded fine plugged in, but turn the preamp off.... and they sounded flat and dull.

Thats what I didn't like about them. Doesn't mean they aren't good basses in their own way, just not in a way I would want them to be. :)

I think Sadwosky is right up there in terms of making very very attractive basses and has been the leader of Super J type basses for so long now.
Of course he makes others fender type configs.

If I were in the market..and I've seen some stunning pics, then I would complete the build with less plastic cavity covers on the back.
If I paid for a fancy top..I'd probably want it front and back
I think the HW works, they have their own market and it would have to be a NYC 99 times out of a hundred.to get all this, IMO

But then that also puts the brand in severe competition with other makers..maybe over and above with the current exchange rate.
After my recent trial..I thought they ( metros ) were well put together, the finish good, but the set-up negated all this.
I might be able to find one that I could make work..I am pretty sure I could set it up ..but am still amazed that the shop didn't see fit to do this.
It would make it a lot easier to sell a nearly £2000 bass, if they did...
As it stands, I wouldn't go near one ( metro ) with £2000 to spend.

With £2500 to spend on a J5, I'd want to look at NYC, Sei and Celinder but suspect the only one to get close to that price new would be Sei

Depends where you think your money is best spent...if they are your thing, and you want one, then that's it

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1329854615' post='1548647']
If I were in the market..and I've seen some stunning pics, then I would complete the build with less plastic cavity covers on the back.
[/quote]

This is what we have agreed on before. Its a minor thing, but the back panel really doesn't seem to 'match' the rest of the quality or the price. Just seems like a huge area they could have covered with a nicer piece of plastic or even had Sadowsky engraved onto it....see I am picky, but at that price you have to be. On the back of my Musicman basses, the basses that have a back panel have a nice quality textured plastic and it blends into it a little better.

I've played two Metros and was disappointed by both. Massively disappointed. They both were put in the shade by, of all things, my old Lakland DJ Skyline. I had serious, couldn-sleep-at-night GAS for a Sadowsky but since playing two metros (months apart) I haven't given them a second thought.

That said, next trip to New York, I'll be trying an NYC.

I've had two NYC's in the past, the second one I 'offed' due to a dead spot on the high D. I've owned 2 Metro's and also currently have a Metro UV70, in my opinion the attention to fit, finish and detail is every bit as good as a NYC, if anything I think the fretwork on the Metro's have trumped the NYC's.

I'd favour a Metro everytime unless you have to have a 'coffee table top' custom only available on the NYC's.

My 2p etc

I tried a Sadowsky 5string NYC jazz (maple board) and a Metro (rosewood board), I liked the NYC a lot more.
I do think that the graphite rods in the neck with the chambered body of the NYC made the difference. The NYC had a wonderful even tone on every part the neck with a bit of body resonance. The Metro was good but lacked those specific qualities.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' timestamp='1329999327' post='1551031']
Im surprised at the details being brought up here! :blink: Type of plastic used for the back plate?? who cares? who ever see's this part when you're playing anyway?
[/quote]

I've seen the pics of your PJ Chris and its a beauty. Like I said, quality and style are fantastic, tone is obviously subjective, but little things like the back compartment do catch my eye when its a bass over £1600. Silly I know!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1330009441' post='1551349']
I've seen the pics of your PJ Chris and its a beauty. Like I said, quality and style are fantastic, tone is obviously subjective, but little things like the back compartment do catch my eye when its a bass over £1600. Silly I know!
[/quote]

agree. I don't expect to see that cheap solution to a £2000 bass. And I'll see it every time I'd play it.

Interesting topic this and interesting timing as I tried a Sadowsky UV5 yesterday and am a MusicMan 5 owner.

The Sadowsky was incredibly well made, it just looked liek quality hanging on teh wall in the shop. Everything was impeccable, cover plate, finish, neck all of it just extremely well made. Tone wise I liked it, might not be everyones cup of tea but for me it sounded like a modern Jazz bass so great.

Despite the quality of the build and the great neck profile (i like flat wide necks) there was something about the neck that felt a bit sterile. Its a highly personal thing but the neck felt a bit cheap but I dont know why as it was pefectly made and a nice piece of maple. Perhaps its because I am used to old basses with that broken in feel so I cant blame Sadowsky for that.

In comparison to my Musicman, build wise, nothing in it IMHO. Both very well made basses and both with a brilliant sound of their own. B string wise, my StingRay has it but that could be a combination of factors, strings, set up etc, the StingRay was just a little more focused.

Do I want a Sadowsky now? HELL YES! the neck was brilliant and almost a perfect profile for me. Im a sucker for blocks and binding as well so its almost my perfect bass.

Are Sodwosky's worth the money? for me, No! Its a huge ammount of cash for a bass I can honestly say didnt feel or play any better than my Squier. Thats a rediculous thing to say but for me its true. But as a MusicMan owner I also have to say I dont think MusicMan basses are worth the money either.

As has been discussed the exchange rate has really pushed the prices up, and I would not pay new prices for a StingRay5 or a Sadowsky Metro. You can get a used NYC Sadowsky for not much more than a Metro and 2k would get you an amazing used Sei/Overwater/Nordstrand.

Am I going to get a sadowsky now? Im going to look into it maybe a secondhand NYC though. Fundamentally at this level I dont think there is better only different as many people have said before. Its all down to preference at this sort of money and you would not be dissapointed with a Metro, and if you were they hold value well and shift quickly.

Spot on NJE...I thibk that sums it up quite well. I must admit, the low B is a big part of what makes buyers want a bass. I don't want a B that sounds flat or fubby, and I don't want a B that rings out over the other strings. I want a low B to be the same as the rest of the strings...and to have balance! I think thats why Musicman basses work for me so well.

• 8 months later...