Why become a member? ×

What do we think of this Jazz...for £12k????

What do we think of this?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270912650043?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1202"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270912650043?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1202[/url]

I mean £12k for a battle worn, ’64 with non-original parts is to say the least, pushing it. I mean NKR who are a shop, and known for top pricing of instruments, although they normally have top quality gear, have a gorgeous one at £8250, which means privately you’d expect to pay £6k.

This has over half the paint missing from the back, and lots on the front, which is fine, and adds mojo, and shows it’s a great player, but also reduces the price. Described as having ‘some paintwear on the back’..........really?

He then says the bass is ‘completely un messed around with’, but then says it has a replaced treble pot. It clearly also has missing thumbrest and covers, but more obvious, it has a badass bridge, which isn’t even mentioned (?), which could be face-fixed or even routed?!

If you thought you had a 12k bass, surely you’d take the neck off to take the all-important pics?

You can get a Mint ’62, or 9/10 nick stack knob for this price.

I think 3-4k is more appropriate.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1329566508' post='1544292']Wasn't the insanely clean 1962 just a tad more than £12K?
[/quote]

It was. Did it sell?

BTW, what does that make yours worth Howard? ;)

Edited by Conan

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]That may be just a [i]little[/i] hot on price.[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]'The badass bridge that is fitted is a great improvement on the original'...[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]In my humble opinion... no, it isn't. [/size][/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4] [/size][/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4] :)[/size][/font]

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1329567314' post='1544305']

BTW, what does that make yours worth Howard? ;)
[/quote]

Well my tatty sunburst 63P was bought in Denmark Street for £450.00.

Mind you petrol was 1/11d a gallon back then.

I would expect a modest increase in value at the present time.

My 1962 Jazz was £45.00 from a shop in South Shields. I think they were actually giving petrol away then.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1329569283' post='1544343']
Mind you petrol was 1/11d a gallon back then.
[/quote]

Yes I remember, Howard!
Fire had yet to be invented, the wheel was basically just a concept and the sky was dark with pterodactyls. :D

Edited by discreet

Anyone any ideas what he means by "completely original condition" when describing an instrument with various replacement parts and missing 50 per cent of its finish?

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1329563704' post='1544250']I think 3-4k is more appropriate.[/quote]
He does say he has the original bridge and screws, so the one non-original part is a replacement pot. Between £3k and £4k would be on the low side. Realistically, you'd be talking £4.5k to £5k for a '64, private sale, in this condition.

Just to clarify here, we're talking about a bolt neck which has a sound so lightweight in itself it relies on the sonic signature of the amp to be usable and looks like it has spend 30 years in a desert.

And as far as these sort of ads go, 'Mojo' means 'makes strangers think you've got some time in...

Sorry...Got a puncture on the bike and had to push it home in the rain......

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1329587127' post='1544636']
Ah-ha! Don't fix it - it's got 'mojo' now. Stick it on eBay for twelve grand.
[/quote]

ha!...it IS a Falcon with a Reynolds Ti alloy frame...that sounds quite Mojo.ey...I fixed the puncture so it's mojo-less again now!

i got the puncture cuz I stuck 100 P.S.I in an 85 P.S.I wheel!...the tyre jumped off the bead...Sounded like an unsilenced .22 rifle when the tube saw fresh air and instantly blew ...I actually though someone had taken a shot at me!