Why become a member? ×

Recruiting the youngsters

neepheid

I'm going to a friend's house tomorrow night because his daughter has expressed an interest in taking up the bass. I'm flattered that he asked if I'd take a bass over and see what she thinks of the whole malarky. She's 13 so I'm thinking that she ought to be able to handle 34" scale (I haven't got any shorties anyway, so tough!). I'm thinking I'll take my Yamaha across as it's the thinnest necked bass I've got and it's not got that intimidating aura around it that basses like Ritters give me these days. For variety (as well as maybe showing her some stuff without having to swap all the time) I was thinking of taking two basses. Should I bring across one of my bonkers Gibsons, or should I play it safe and take the G&L?

I've never done this before so I'm wondering what best to do - maybe try and play along to one or two of her favourite songs, maybe show her some arpeggios/scales, maybe take the first RGT grade book along and see how it goes from there? I guess first and foremost it should be fun, so not too heavy on the theory (what little I know of it anyway ;) )

I'd play it safe. Go for the basses that "look" like basses. Eg Have a bridge, pickups, headstock(!). I'd have been totally baffled by a headless when i first started about that age.

I'd suggest showing her some cool stuff (favourite songs/cool riffs) - y'know songs where the bass is really prominent.

I'd probs layoff the theory and scales for a first timer.

Keep it simple and fun. Maybe ask your friend what what sort of music she likes and work out a few simple bass lines she can pick up easily.

I think the first time anyone holds an instrument they'd be quite chuffed I they could come away from the experience making a noise that bears at least some resemblance to a song they know.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1329347946' post='1541252']
Keep it simple and fun. Maybe ask your friend what what sort of music she likes and work out a few simple bass lines she can pick up easily.

I think the first time anyone holds an instrument they'd be quite chuffed I they could come away from the experience making a noise that bears at least some resemblance to a song they know.
[/quote]

Spot on.

1. Play the "Grand Prix" riff from The Chain to warm up :lol:

2. Then show her how to play along to one of her favourite songs, starting with the root notes.

3. Then hand over the bass to her for the rest of the session, as per Musky's point.

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1329348648' post='1541269']
I think you should teach her YYZ. :gas:
[/quote]

Haha!!
Id start with something simple so she can get playing to some music asap. After all thats what we wanted to do when we started right? And good call on finding out what she likes first.
If you're just going over for a chat with the basses, use that as a starting point to find out what she wants from playing bass and what she wants to play. Including YYZ. ;)

Dan

I'd just get her used to a proper bass. I take it she isn't abnormally tiny? Kids all seem to be 6-foot tall at 13 these days.

I've seen some very small girls with very big basses. I was stood next to Melissa Auf Der Maur a couple of years back and she's tiny (I like to drop that into conversations) - big precisions.

Edited by thepurpleblob

If you wouldn't mind a bit of advice from an old lag at this bass teaching malarky:

1. Keep it [i]really [/i]simple (commonest mistake in the business is to set expectations too high - she'll take the cue from you remember). Don't forget to show her how to pluck the strings and fret the notes properly (sounds obvious when you say it, but you'd be surprised...).

2. Taking 2 basses is a good idea. If she's got an instrument in her hand from the word go, she's more likely to get involved.

3. The instrument is most likely to be too big for her (as Discreet has already said). If it is, make sure she knows that smaller instruments are easily available.

4. If there's a song or riff she likes that's very easy or can be made very easy (remember point 1), by all means give it a go. If she asks for something that common sense tells you she won't manage just yet, offer a compromise that gets her playing something she knows. If you can't find common musical ground (she's 13 remember), go with something you know will work, so even if she doesn't know it or doesn't like it much, she'll at least be able to play it.

5. Try to make it fun - if she's enjoying what she's doing she's more likely to practise (and hence improve).

There's plenty of practising teachers on BC, so don't be afraid to ask. I've retired from teaching now and have time on my hands so feel free to PM me with questions.

Edited by leftybassman392

+1 to keeping it simple. This is exactly how I got interested in playing bass when I was 11-12 :) One of my mum's friends used to come over with her bass every now and then, and she taught me a few really simple things. Stuff like how to pluck the strings, and fret notes etc, as well as 'Buck Rodgers' by Feeder. Really simple bassline, but really fun if you are into rock music.

Finding out what kind of stuff she likes is definitely a great idea too :)

Well, when I first started I could only be bothered to learn songs that I already knew and liked xD
So just do that, nothing too complicated or anything
It's probably not worth getting started on the whole "You should be practising 30 minutes every day" right at the beginning
Just try and keep it fun would be my main advice