Why become a member? ×

Mexican Fenders?

Townes1992

Hey guys,
Im sure this has been spoken of often but being new to the forum i just wanted some advice on what you think of Standard MIM Basses. I have read a ton of stuff online, all of which consists of very mixed judgements.
I've been playing for around 4 years, my current electric bass is a £100 Westfield. Its not bad but i think an upgrade is needed :). Let me know what you think, and if you can i'd appreciate any other basses you could recommend to me from personal experience if you arent to keen on the MIM Fenders. My budget isn't all that high either :/

Thank you for reading :)

hi Townes.
There is much debate about the MIM Fenders. For my two bits worth I think there are some good and some bad MIMs, its a bit of a lottery with any Fender to be honest, even the MIA ones. The MIJ ones seem to be most consistent (with a price tag to match if you can find one!).
Quality wise, it's supposed to go... MIM, MIJ, MIA but it doesn't always pan out this way as each instrument is different!

If you're on a limited budget though I would seriously look at the Squier VM series £200 - £300 new, there are usually some secondhand ones about for less. They are pretty well made and don't carry the same premium you get with a Fender logo on the headstock (although many have replaced the Squier logo with a Fender one - a bit naughty). There are also some new Fender branded basses made in Asia, at the cheaper end of the market - I think these are probably made in the same factory as some of the Squiers though TBH.

If you get yourself a Squier VM, you'll have a pretty good bass out of the box, plus there is no end to the amount of modifications you can do at a later stage depending on your budget etc. as most bits are standard size - the only exception on the VM series is the scratchplate and control plate. But you can get new pickups, bridge, tuners etc. as you wish - they should all fit easily enough...

If you're set on getting a Fender, then look at the Modern player series, I think these are the entry level just under £400 should get you whatever configuration you prefer.

I would always say though, at this end of the market more so, try it out in a shop before you commit to buy, and buy the one you like - don't try and get a similar model online without trying it if possible because you might get a dud! You can always haggle the price a bit in the shop if you find it cheaper elsewhere - most places will match the price or get close to it.

Hiya.
There's loads of stuff on this forum around this topic. But as a personal summary.....
Fender is a mass producer of instruments. Like all mass producers, most of their output is satisfactory but some are dogs.
So, if at all possible, try before you buy.
Personally again, and based on my own experience and preferences, if I was out for a bass and had a limited budget I'd go for these.
Pre-owned (off this forum).
A Squier or a Yamaha. Whichever model, depending on taste or availability. Generally speaking, and IMHO you will get much more for your money with those two brands rather than a Fender of any kind.
I played a gig on Sunday and used 2 basses. One was a Squier VM Jazz the other a Yamaha fretless. And I've got US and Japanese Fenders too, that I left at home.

The usual, and best, advice is try before you buy. IME Fenders vary a lot in quality (and not just the Mex ones). The nicest Precision neck I've played was on a Mexican Fender I owned years ago. But the worst Jazz I've played was a Mex Fender as well. It felt and sounded cheap.

If your budget is limited I would seriously look at the Squier Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series - they easily compete with the Mex Fenders, and have some very nice specs for the price.

Edit - brensabre79 got in ahead of me. And I agree with all of his post :lol:

Edited by simon1964

I bought an MIM P from a BCer recently. The neck on it is really nice, although the pocket is a little "over accommodating". (Jack - Salford based luthier - is sorting it out for me as I type). The bass is otherwise fine, it's a 2002 vintage, and in beautiful condition and for what it cost I personally feel that I have had very good value.

Opinions are mixed, but there also seems to be a degree of variations in quality from USA instruments too. I suspect that most will say try a number of basses if you can find them (there's a couple on ebay at the moment and I think I remember seeing one on here). You're welcome to try mine if you fancy an outing - but it's not for sale!

If you have a read of the £200 bass challange thread in General Discussion you may get some ideas. There's a cracking looking Yamaha BB200 (precision look alike) that was listed at £125 but the seller has not relisted since but you could always contact him if you have an account. Here's the link:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-BB200-electric-bass-complete-flight-case-/140696491244?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item20c22a14ec"]Yamaha BB200[/url]

Sorry looks like I was a bit slow typing!

Edited by ead

I have an early MIM Precision that I bought in new and unseen in 92. As a gigging bass It plays just OK, not great, - I have played worse MIA ones.- but it sounds good. and at some of our gigs I wouldnt want to take anything too valuable tbh.

I'm not sure, but I think the earlier MIM ones were a bit better than they are now.

Thanks guys for all the advice thus far. I was heavily considering a VM squier, they seem to be popular, but the criticisms that Squier's get is always off putting. Being labelled as a 'beginners' bass sometimes makes me concerned about their longevity with redards to durability and versatility.
I do often wonder why they get such bad stick in some places i look, maybe because 1 of their models recieves bad press people hold it against the whole brand!!!
Thats interesting about the consistency of the MIA models, for their price range id hope that they are all consistently top quality :/. But yeah, if i settle on the MIM then i will definitely try before I buy, its ashame that Fender dont iron out this discrepancy with the MIM, £450+ is a huge chunk of money when you can't be sure of the quality.
I also considered the Ibanez ATK200 and another ibanez, the Roadster from the SR series, these are within my budget and look to be good basses.
I will certainly keep your advice in mind though and check out those VM's and Yamaha's, Cheers :)

I think, as above, it's like all mass-produced instruments - you'll find some good ones, and you'll find some bad ones. I just think, for sub-£300 second hand, you won't feel as aggrieved at finding a bad one as you would for £600+ on a USA model.

Try before you buy being the correct policy, I feel.

Not tried a modern player, but I like what they're doing. Very interested in the Telecaster, if anyone has had a go.

You're guaranteed excellent build quality with Yamaha. I've never picked up a Yamaha without thinking to myself how well put together and solid they are!
You can do much much worse than spend £300 on a second hand BB model. There's a couple of very sexy green RBX's on ebay at the moment too, the 5 stringer's got the same configuration as the original RBX John Myung signature and they are excellent basses!
But, if you're after a Fender, then nothing else will do. As everyone else says, try before you buy and when you go and try, make sure you know what a good Fender feels like!

Truckstop

[quote name='Townes1992' timestamp='1329225707' post='1539061']
I also considered the Ibanez ATK200 and another ibanez, the Roadster from the SR series, these are within my budget and look to be good basses.

[/quote]

The Ibanez ATK and SR series are fantastic basses for the money. They feel very different - the SR has a very thin neck, the ATK is much chunkier. But in terms of value for money both ranges are very haerd to beat.

IMO the SR500 is just about the best new bass you can buy under £500. And you can often pick them up used on here for £350ish.

I own 2 Rickenbackers and have just swapped an acoustic bass for a Squier VM fretless jazz, and I am so impressed with the Squier. The neck is so slender, the Duncan designed pickups are loud and have plenty of tonal control, and I love the 'no scratchplate' look of it. It looks, feels and plays like a guitar that is a lot more expensive than it actually is.

Going back to the Rickies feels like I'm holding tree trunks :D

Edited by davehux

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1329226993' post='1539097']
The pickups in the current Mexican Fenders are a lot better than those in the Squiers IMO. WIthout a pickup upgrade, the MIM will get closer to the 'classic' Fender sound, if that's what you want.
[/quote]
I agree on this. The first mod you should consider to a Squier is the pickups, but you can get a set of Wizard Pickups for £70 and these sound better than the American Fender ones IMO.
Ibanez and Yamaha are also both very good makes for the money, and you probably won't have to modify these as you get a lot more bass for your buck because the name doesn't carry as much kudos as a Fender. A bit like a Toyota is a good car but its cheaper because its not got a Mercedes badge on it.

Whatever you decide on, play it first, make sure you like it and you shouldn't go wrong.

[quote name='Townes1992' timestamp='1329225707' post='1539061']
I was heavily considering a VM squier, they seem to be popular, but the criticisms that Squier's get is always off putting.
[/quote]

I've just bought a VM Jazz and my instructor said it's up there with any Fender he's played. :) I think Squier's bad rep came from the early years, and I was advised to run screaming from anything in the ultra-cheap Affinity range. The VMs, though, have a very good rep, and some say the Classic Vibes are even better.

Edited by Prunesquallor

A lot of the 'issues' with Squier comes from gear snobbery. Almost all of the Squiers I've tried have been fine instruments for the money. The higher up the range you go the better they get, sometimes overtaking MIM in terms of quality. If you can get to a well stocked dealer try as many as you can. Buying a Squier/MIM is kinda like buying a Les Paul. The differences between each is massive.
A modded CV or VM Squire will usually sound as good as a stock MIM.

I'll also give a +1 to Yamahas. Fantastic basses.

I tried a MIM Pbass a couple of weeks ago. I seriously want a Pbass and although it was very nice to play etc, on reflection I'm not sure it felt like £450 of bass. Quality wise it didn't feel a whole lot different to my Ibanez SR300 (new £270ish) or my Rockbass Corvette (new would have cost you £350 I think, I got it S/H).

Ahhh Im getting a good vibe from these Yamaha's, they seem to be popular amongst you all. And with regards to the ibanez, i think i'd probably opt for the ATK because of its chunkier build. Im used to playing a pretty large electro acoustic and anything to slim takes a bit of adjusting haha!
A good point was made earlier about the Fenders by Truckstop. Aside from the obvious things like action, is there anything i should look out for on the Fender's? I can tell a good bass from a bad bass, but i'm not 100 per cent sure on what a 'good' Fender sounds like?
Yeah im not sure i can see myself upgrading the pick ups in the squier, kinda draws me towards the Fender so i can get that sound :)

I bought a Squier Jazz a few of years ago as a present for someone. I was surprised at how nicely it plays and how well set up it was, Really Really great for the price.

I used it myself in a rehearsal last month. It just dont cut through in a loud band situation like a Fender. Just pickups I expect, but if cheapo guitars like Westfield can fit [i]useable[/i] pickups to a £100 Bass, I dont see why fender cant do the same with Squiers. An extra few yards of copper wire is probably all it would need after all.

All about preference and a bit of luck really!

I've been playing for 14 years, and my first "proper" bass that I saved up for was a Mexican Jazz bass. At the time, I had no idea that there were Mexican, Japanese, USA ect.. made basses....I just saw "Fender" and bought it!

I sold that bass a while ago, but in hindsight, that was BY FAR the best bass that I have ever owned.

I wore it in very well, to the point where the back of the neck looked proper vintage...(just my battery-acid sweat!).

But yea, basically, don't have the pre-conceived idea that USA's will be loads better than Mexican ones...just go out and try them until you find one that feels good in your hands, and sounds good to your ears.

Aside from a Fender Custom Shop Pino Palladino Signature precision, the most comfortable Precision I`ve ever played was a Road Worn - Made In Mexico. These are of course, a "step up" from the regular MIMs, but the main thing, and this seems to be what everyone is saying, is that it`s what`s best to the user that counts. If a Squier is best for you - play Squiers, if it`s Custom Shops - get saving!