Why become a member? ×

HUGE EPIC BRUTAL sound... don't know what to look for..

charic

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1329341837' post='1541094']
Well were buddies dontcha know?

See here's us hanging out...

[attachment=100060:ScaledDown.jpg]

And here's the link to the info ;)

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Myung"]http://en.wikipedia....wiki/John_Myung[/url]

Ok... it's not entirely reliable :D
[/quote]

So jealous. So jealous. I'm not jealous at all...

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1329343165' post='1541124']
Also that muse song sounds pretty cool :D
[/quote]

Is that the kind of idea/tone you're after?

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1329376384' post='1541356']
Maybe a tad more aggressive with more pronounced mids but not far off
[/quote]

It's something along the lines of a Muff blended with a clean signal, you could try that, (using a bass muff for more low end maybe) and crack the mids?

Though there are a few users on here who know it all better than I!

I think a lot of the reason using a guitar rig as well is that it pronounces your mids way more than you would ever normally do with a bass amp. I do use a guitar amp, but my pedal board sounds pretty much the same through studio monitors, so I think my pedals are doing a lot of that mid boosting. A bass big muff (for the clean blend) and some extreme EQ might get you there.

I think most of the HUGE sounds come from using more than one pedal or amp, and that's why a multi-effects unit would be good, because you can experiment with all that without the expense.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1329382868' post='1541432']
I think a lot of the reason using a guitar rig as well is that it pronounces your mids way more than you would ever normally do with a bass amp. I do use a guitar amp, but my pedal board sounds pretty much the same through studio monitors, so I think my pedals are doing a lot of that mid boosting. A bass big muff (for the clean blend) and some extreme EQ might get you there.

I think most of the HUGE sounds come from using more than one pedal or amp, and that's why a multi-effects unit would be good, because you can experiment with all that without the expense.
[/quote]

I had originally intended to go for seperates but that Zoom 9 does look very tempting... At the very least it would be great for spatial effects from what I've heard!

A multi FX unit would be a cheapish & effective way to experiment & get an idea of what you're after & then if you decide you want seperate pedals, you have an idea of what you want.

I was playing with my board this morning & got a huge sound by putting the octaver on clean & 1 oct lower then splitting the signal in the bass murf & putting all the lows into a chorus & everything else went into a distortion pedal & then into the low pass filter with quite a but of resonance. Getting some very scary lows & opening the filter makes it go Raaargh!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1329394184' post='1541690']
A multi FX unit would be a cheapish & effective way to experiment & get an idea of what you're after & then if you decide you want seperate pedals, you have an idea of what you want.

I was playing with my board this morning & got a huge sound by putting the octaver on clean & 1 oct lower then splitting the signal in the bass murf & putting all the lows into a chorus & everything else went into a distortion pedal & then into the low pass filter with quite a but of resonance. Getting some very scary lows & opening the filter makes it go Raaargh!
[/quote]

I have no idea why but this post put a huge grin on my face! Thanks :D

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1329395756' post='1541741']
I have no idea why but this post put a huge grin on my face! Thanks :D
[/quote]

If I can get any time, I'll record it & put it on here. Might be able to get a quick record with a field mic in the morning.

I think you should get out there and try literally as many pedals as possible. I use the mxr m80 and i use it for pretty high gain stuff, its a touch hissy but as long as you dont have a tweeter in your amp its not too much of a bother. Also use the obd3 and together they give a pretty fat, humongous sound! Go out there and just try lots, its hard to rely on opinions just from a forum.

[quote name='craigcapener' timestamp='1329485392' post='1543182']
I think you should get out there and try literally as many pedals as possible. I use the mxr m80 and i use it for pretty high gain stuff, its a touch hissy but as long as you dont have a tweeter in your amp its not too much of a bother. Also use the obd3 and together they give a pretty fat, humongous sound! Go out there and just try lots, its hard to rely on opinions just from a forum.
[/quote]

Yeah I know :) Unfortunately carting my bass and my amp/cabs down to shops and not knowing what to try seems a little silly. So I thought I would give here a go first :)

SERIOUSLY considering the Zoom B9.1ut... we'll see how things are looking on payday :)

Any reason you're going for the B9? Not tried one but I thought it had nearly the same effects as the B2, which doesn't do heavy distortion very well. The B3 on the other hand has a GREAT Bass Big Muff simulation and all kinds of clean blend trickery to keep things punchy.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1329499410' post='1543499']
Any reason you're going for the B9? Not tried one but I thought it had nearly the same effects as the B2, which doesn't do heavy distortion very well. The B3 on the other hand has a GREAT Bass Big Muff simulation and all kinds of clean blend trickery to keep things punchy.
[/quote]

Purely for the number of options. Plus I expect the tube pre will help with drive. I'd like to try one but eq, drive and ambient effects all mean I should able to do a lot with the pedal and not make much of a loss if I decide to move it on. Also apparently all effects have a clean blend.

Like I say need to wait n see if i can test but to me the 9 looks much better fit than the 3.

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1329499507' post='1543501']
I'd give SFX a look and Tech-21 Bass XXL. MXR blow torch on the fuzz side is also quite nice, as is a turbo rat which you can grab pretty cheap
[/quote]

Another +1 for the XXL. The 'Warp' control is your friend!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1329307287' post='1540282']
Interestingly I just read that myung has an MXR Doubleshot on his board... If this is correct and I'm not being dumb isn't this a GUITAR distortion?!
[/quote]

Where did you read this? I'm always gear stalking my idols :gas:

Also, I'll agree with other who have said guitar distortions sound great on bass! Try to find a Marshall Jackhammer somewhere if you can, I got mine given to me by a mate as it's not so good on guitar... but it's the best dirt pedal i own! I didn't notice any low end loss, and there's even an EQ/contour section on the pedal for unlimited options

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1329519288' post='1543922']

Where did you read this? I'm always gear stalking my idols :gas:

Also, I'll agree with other who have said guitar distortions sound great on bass! Try to find a Marshall Jackhammer somewhere if you can, I got mine given to me by a mate as it's not so good on guitar... but it's the best dirt pedal i own! I didn't notice any low end loss, and there's even an EQ/contour section on the pedal for unlimited options
[/quote]

Wikipedia :-D

Managed to get a quick recording just now using a field mic plugged into iMac as I haven't got a lead to connect to iMac just now, so excuse the hiss, crackle & lack of lower frequencies. But it gives you an idea.

The basic sound is distortion, chorus & low pass filter (with an expression pedal) & then I add the octaver with 50% clean & 100% -1 octave. This should give you an idea of what this combination of effects can sound like & you could probably get very similar with a decent multi fx unit.
I'm actually splitting things in the Bass Murf & only have distortion, chorus & LPF on the higher frequencies (Probably from @ 200 Hz) & using a bit of extra drive from the Murf on everything. The octaver is before everything & I did a couple of runs to show you the tracking issues (it tracks everything fine, right down to my messy mistakes :P ).

Anyway, here it is...

http://soundcloud.com/bassg/fears

Add this to banjo & tin whistle & your audience are gonna be petrified!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1329903839' post='1549234']
Managed to get a quick recording just now using a field mic plugged into iMac as I haven't got a lead to connect to iMac just now, so excuse the hiss, crackle & lack of lower frequencies. But it gives you an idea.

The basic sound is distortion, chorus & low pass filter (with an expression pedal) & then I add the octaver with 50% clean & 100% -1 octave. This should give you an idea of what this combination of effects can sound like & you could probably get very similar with a decent multi fx unit.
I'm actually splitting things in the Bass Murf & only have distortion, chorus & LPF on the higher frequencies (Probably from @ 200 Hz) & using a bit of extra drive from the Murf on everything. The octaver is before everything & I did a couple of runs to show you the tracking issues (it tracks everything fine, right down to my messy mistakes :P ).

Anyway, here it is...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/bassg/fears"]http://soundcloud.com/bassg/fears[/url]

Add this to banjo & tin whistle & your audience are gonna be petrified!
[/quote]

Quite cool but not aggressive enough for me tbh.

High gain distortion should do what you want. My distortion is a high gain & I never have it above 1(out of 10) as it's too much for my folk band.
On that recording I had it at 1. You could probably pick up a distortion pedal for peanuts.

Big fuzzy distortion, with just a hint of chorus on top. Meaty. Listen to Om/Sleep, and you'll kinda get an idea of it.

I'm on a black Russian Big Muff, and I loves it. Tried the Little Big Muff for a few months, but wasn't so keen. Turbo Rat is quite fun, and so so cheap.