Why become a member? ×

Envelope filters

LeftyBiskit

[b]I cant comment on the Emma Discumbobulator,and I dont know what kind of sound you are after[/b]
[b]but for the money I 'd go for the Proton by 3leaf Audio its based on the Mutron III.[/b]
[b]you get a more wet slurpy sound.[/b]
[b]I would ask Higgie or Pantherairsoft,as they have probably had every Envelope filter going.[/b]
[b]T.[/b]

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1331160991' post='1568852']
Moog EP-2 is always an option. :)
[/quote]

EP2 is a very good pedal & having a "sensitivity" pot at the side is a very useful thing.
Still don't understand why they've went up by over £10 in the past year.

I just got a MXR as a change from my Prometheus.

I really like it! Very simple to dial in (can't say that about the Prom!) sounds good with very different basses.

I'm not getting any buzziness with it at all. The dual level controls for wet and dry are brilliant. Makes sure that there are no level drops and keeps the low end in place.

[quote name='oGREENYo' timestamp='1331191257' post='1568998']
What is the general opinion of the emma discumbobulator? I was looking at changing my micro qtron for one, but am having second thoughts now as no-one has mentioned it here.
[/quote]
The DiscumBOBulator is a brilliant pedal...way better than the micro Qtron (I've got both). I've got a few
envelope filters and tried loads more,but the Emma is my favourite and gets the most use.

I'm currently into the old DOD FX25 filters, there is an FX25b with a blend control for sale in the pedals bit - cheap as chips too...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/169568-dod-fx25b-envelope-filter/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/169568-dod-fx25b-envelope-filter/[/url]

[quote name='oGREENYo' timestamp='1331233249' post='1570081']
So i'm thinking it's between the discumbobulator and the 3Leaf proton (currently ahead because of size); both seem to have that wet sound I am looking for. Anyone know of something similar with a dry mix or will it have to go in a blender?
[/quote]

Small, close sound to the Proton and with dry mix: MXR M82 Bass Envelope Filter!

At one time i had with me the MXR, a Proton and a GR1 and did an ABC. The GR is the phatest but both the MXR and Proton were wetter. I ended up with the GR probable because it was my first filter and i've grown accustomed to it's sound and all my filter lines in my band were written with it so it just sounded right to my ears.

The Proton has gone for LeftyBiskit here but i still have the MXR that i can sell you, if you're interested send me a PM.

Cheers

[quote name='foal30' timestamp='1331594209' post='1575697']
I like the Ashdown filter , not overpowering.
probably going to have a lash at the MojoHand Analouge Filter
[/quote]

The Mojo Hand is a cool pedal. I've got the Boomstick Bottom Feeder which is a more bass specific
version (the Mojo Hand 442 red is the same pedal,rebranded).
I don't use it as often as the DiscumBOBulator,but it still gets quite a lot of use. It sounds great,is dead easy to
use and they pop up pretty inexpensively on the secondhand market.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1331214430' post='1569515']
Never used the Emma unit unfortunately. But good job on scoring an FT-2! How do you like it so far?
[/quote]

Just had a couple of hours with my FT-2,
totally surprised with this little box of funk,
thank's for the heads up!
there is one for sale on the 'bay at the mo'
I suggest anyone who is looking for a cheap filter should try to nab one.

[quote name='LeftyBiskit' timestamp='1332444846' post='1588584']

Just had a couple of hours with my FT-2,
totally surprised with this little box of funk,
thank's for the heads up!
there is one for sale on the 'bay at the mo'
I suggest anyone who is looking for a cheap filter should try to nab one.
[/quote]

Told ya! ;)

Really musical filter, not too over the top, but just the right amount I funk! Glad it worked out for you dude.

I'm completely torn between my Iron Ether Xero Deluxe and my Proton - the Xero can go mental, is great just as a lowpass filter and is very versatile with the expression input, but the Proton just sounds so nice! It's so simple but oh so very groovy. I may end up with both on my board, though I know that's probably overkill. The Xero can basically do everything the Proton can, but there's something about the Proton which I love and will miss dearly if I shift it.

• 3 weeks later...

Evening low enders
just expanding on the OP-now that I'm down with my filters-
I'm looking for to expand on the use of my envelope filter(s)with a fuzz/distortion pedal.
ie one that I can use in conjunction with my Proton or my FT-2.
are there only certain fuzz pedals that can be triggered by the proton/ft-2 or is it something totally different,
I know that the stuff from Chunk systems works together but is this just these two pedals that it works with.
my current signal chain is TU2-Proton-BSW-FT-2-BBM-Ibanez Digital Chorus-CS3-LMB3-Amp
do I need another pedal of some sorts?
feel free to offer advice/ridicule-believe me it will be welcome :lol:

I like a Fuzz before my filters. I find Big Muffs seem to work pretty well for synthy vibes. But basically, no, you don't need any certain fuzz pedals.

Pedals like the 3Leaf GR/Meatball etc that have an effects loop basically do so, so that your clean signal will be "triggering" the filter, without your dynamics being destroyed by effects such as Fuzz etc. The Chunk pedals use a similar system, but they can just be linked with a cable, as they were designed together, to work together.

It's a pretty cool idea, and can be used for other purposes, like sending a mic'd kick drum into the input of the pedal, and plugging your bass into the return of the loop, so your bass will only be filtered when the kick drum triggers the filter.

• 3 weeks later...

Really enjoying my 3 Leaf Proton at the minute. Made a little mod to lengthen the decay time a bit and now it's getting pretty close to being perfect! A few more things to try on my filter quest - have a Tonefactor 442 incoming from Shep and the components for a meatball clone on the way so more experimenting to do. Will probably keep 2 filters on my board so don't have to whittle it down to one!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='LeftyBiskit' timestamp='1334421388' post='1616049'] Ahh thats how it works is it-fuzz before filter. I'll be sure to try that out later. thank's for that nice vids on you tube btw. [/quote]
No probs :) I like to use Fuzz before Filter, but there's no "correct" way to do it! It's up to you to see what sounds best. Thanks for the compliment on my videos too :)

[quote name='RandomProddy' timestamp='1338368198' post='1673246'] Still liking my FT-2! What's the thoughts on using this with a fuzz? Filter <-- Fuzz or Fuzz <-- Filter? [/quote]

I think this particular Filter sounds great with a Fuzz in front of it, but again, it's all down to experimentation and seeing what works best for you!

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1338409314' post='1674259']
I think this particular Filter sounds great with a Fuzz in front of it, but again, it's all down to experimentation and seeing what works best for you!
[/quote]

Cool - have been trying various things. I think it needs an EQ somewhere in the signal chain though - it's quite a muddy pedal. Might be my cack bass though :D

Edited by RandomProddy