Why become a member? ×

Envelope filters

LeftyBiskit

Evening all,
just recently I've been thinking of getting one of these little boxes of funk on my board,I already have the Digitech BSW but I'm looking for something with more funk,
I liked the sound of the 3 leaf groove regulator,but i also like the MXR M82,but I also fancy one of the Iron Ether pedals-but that one may be a little out of my range at the moment.
Spoilt for choice or what!!!!
Cash is a bit tight at the moment so im on a bit of a budget-
any thoughts out there.?
thank's in advance.
T

Go with the 3Leaf. Sounds awesome.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LpZ0czQOPc&feature=related[/media]
^This might help. I really hate the MXR one, that kinda buzzy thing if you sustain a note
too long annoys me.

Edited by lxxwj

Thank's for the info guys
The 3 Leaf Audio blows the MXR clean away.
on a personal note I'm steering clear of the EHX stuff as they give one hell of a volume boost when switched on-they've caused me no end of probs in the past.
the GR2 looks interesting,tho'as does the Proton.
going to have a look on yoo choobe at the Source Audio
I'll be keepin an eye out in the "Effects for Sale section"
Trev..

I'd plump for the SubDecay Prometheus too, for me it's the best blend of analogue warmth and goes-to-11 insanity. Previously I had a 3leaf GR 1 which was on the warm and subtle side (and really, really nice sounding), and also have a line 6 fm4 which is just a huge purple lump of digital sci-fi explosions- wouldn't recommend it as a first filter unless your into noise/ electronica (never known why it's marketed just as a guitar pedal.)

All three were bought second hand and none cost me over £90.00, but if that's too steep I'd recommend the DOD fx25 because you can pick them up on ebay for hardly anything and I love them.

Prometheus is a great pedal with some stunning sounds, though I would say it also has more horrid unusable sounds than any other pedal as well.

3Leaf groove regulator is still my fav' Envelope filter (I have the Mk.1 without the blend). It's phat, impossible for it to not sound immense, reasonably priced compared to other filters, well made and... well... phat! :)

In the last 2 years I think I've had 12 envelope filters and this one was the 2nd I bought and has stayed. I'm also using Higgies old Tone Factor 442 Analogue Filter as my 2nd filter voice. It's less squishy sounding and more aggressive and works for my application (Synth bass). My 3rd pick would likely go to the Prometheus or the old DOD Envelope Filter (2 knob 'b' version). I like the MXR too, though it is VERY wet sounding and a little thin compared to something like the GR - Though it obviously depends on the sound you are going for.

Thank's for all the replies-I'm leaning towards the 3 leaf GR 2,
Going off what everyone has said and the reviews on u choob it looks like that'll be the one for me,
now to keep a beady eye out in the Effects FS section .
Thank's to all for helping me with yet another bout of Gas. :gas: :gas:
Trev.

Edited by LeftyBiskit

I'm gonna go out on a limb here even though I have the Subdecay Prometheus, an original Mutron, and the FX25 which are all being recommended here, and say - Keep your eye out for a Boss FT-2. It's easily one of the most useable and musical envelope filters I've ever used. Bought it on a whim fairly cheap second hand, and was blown away by how good it sounds on bass.

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1328822677' post='1533392']
I really hate the MXR one, that kinda buzzy thing if you sustain a note
too long annoys me.
[/quote]

Yeah, I am with you there. I got rid of mine after only 4 weeks using it because of the same issue. I bought the Sound Blox pedal as the replacement.

[b][quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1328876005' post='1534121']
I'm gonna go out on a limb here even though I have the Subdecay Prometheus, an original Mutron, and the FX25 which are all being recommended here, and say - Keep your eye out for a Boss FT-2. It's easily one of the most useable and musical envelope filters I've ever used. Bought it on a whim fairly cheap second hand, and was blown away by how good it sounds on bass.
[/quote][/b]
[b] The FT-2 probably rarer than hens teeth-it might be ages before 1 appears,but I will probably be on the lookout for a GR2,[/b]
[b]As far as the EHX stuff is concerned I will probably avoid as I'm not keen on the vol.boost when switched on.[/b]

[quote name='LeftyBiskit' timestamp='1328879331' post='1534216'] [b] The FT-2 probably rarer than hens teeth-it might be ages before 1 appears,but I will probably be on the lookout for a GR2,[/b] [b]As far as the EHX stuff is concerned I will probably avoid as I'm not keen on the vol.boost when switched on.[/b] [/quote]

Yeah, they are quite rare, but I picked one up on here for just under £50. If you see one at a reasonable price, buy it. You won't be disappointed!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='LeftyBiskit' timestamp='1331157755' post='1568784']
Having been lucky enough to nab a Boss ft-2 on the 'bay recently,
I am now looking for a suitable expression pedal to go with it,
does anyone have any suggestions?
Trev.
[/quote]

So that was you! Was bidding this afternoon :(