Why become a member? ×

who makes 4 ohm 1X12s?

fatback

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1328701849' post='1531285']
I would look at getting a Super12 rather than 2 different 112 cabs. You could then either run the Midget, the Super12 or both as a very powerful 312 rig.
[/quote]

Not really thinking of two cabs; I need the portability of one. I was wondering if I could get more out of a different 1X12 than the 8 ohm Midget can give me. That Midget is loud, though. Perfect solution might in theory be a 4ohm Midget? :)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1328702057' post='1531292']
The main reason is that it's very dificult to find a 4Ohm 12" neo driver on the market. I've had that same question a while back and i couldn't find one on the web... do manufacturers actualy do them?!!
[/quote]

The ACME Low B2 112 has a neo driver, and available in both 4 and 8 ohms. That is why I posted it up earlier ;)

[quote name='Gwilym' timestamp='1328702926' post='1531314']
The ACME Low B2 112 has a neo driver, and available in both 4 and 8 ohms. That is why I posted it up earlier ;)
[/quote]

Lower in sensitivity than the Midget though I believe. So the 3db advantage gained from having a 4 ohm driver will be couter-balanced by the loss in sensitivity.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1328702057' post='1531292']
The main reason is that it's very dificult to find a 4Ohm 12" neo driver on the market. I've had that same question a while back and i couldn't find one on the web... do manufacturers actualy do them?!!
[/quote]

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/celestion-bn12300s-4ohm-neo-bass-guitar-speaker-12-offer-p-344.html

Had one of these when I was running a Yamaha BB500H which went down to 2 Ohms. Not many about but not as rare as you might think - pretty sure Eminence do one as well.

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1328703174' post='1531320']
Lower in sensitivity than the Midget though I believe. So the 3db advantage gained from having a 4 ohm driver will be couter-balanced by the loss in sensitivity.
[/quote]

yes agreed, if the OP wants more volume per watt, the ACME probably isn't going to compete with the Barfaced cabs.

[quote name='Gwilym' timestamp='1328703671' post='1531337']
yes agreed, if the OP wants more volume per watt, the ACME probably isn't going to compete with the Barfaced cabs.
[/quote]

I have one of the ACME 12 cabs. It is lush. I could be persuaded to part with it because I am thinking about getting an 8 Ohm one (the power amp I want to use will only go down to 8Ohms)

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1328702164' post='1531298']

Are they neos, Geoff?
[/quote]

I think so but I'm not 100% IMO the Mline is the best 12" for upright because of the porting. It could be a bit lighter, but it's a fairly average weight.

I don't think I would bother changing an 8ohm to 4ohm. I'm guessing you still have loads of headroom on your amp? There's only so much you can get from a 12".

Edited by geoffbassist

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1328704191' post='1531351']
I have one of the ACME 12 cabs. It is lush. I could be persuaded to part with it because I am thinking about getting an 8 Ohm one (the power amp I want to use will only go down to 8Ohms)
[/quote]

nice! how does it compare to a B2 2x10 ?

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1328705612' post='1531375']
Unless you have an amp capable of 2 ohm operation you'd only be able to use one. And there's no benefit to running a 4 ohm cab.
[/quote]

This...

and I doubt a 12" will go loud LOUD enough so you need the option of two...which then gets you into 2ohm amp territory ..so you are heading down a dead end
really.
If makers thought there was much call for a 4ohm, they'd make it...IMO.

Thanks for the thoughts.

My amp does go down to 2, as it happens, but the point I'm getting here is that the gain from the 4 vs 8 probably isn't worth bothering with, given that I've already got a sensitive cab.

I was thinking about this mainly cos when I raise my cab on a stand (to avoid feedback from the upright) I lose a lot of oomph. So i was idly wondering whether a lower impedence cab would free up some headroom. You can see that a two cab solution couldn't work for this. Most likely, i'm going to try raising the cab by a lot less and hoping it's as effective at avoiding the feedback demons. Pity, cos raising the cab totally avoids any problem even at very high volumes.

You should be getting up to about 310W out of an EA Doubler at 8 ohms. I doubt you've got it wound up to full blast though. Maybe you could try eq'ing a bit more LF in there when you lift it off the floor to compensate? The Midget will probably take anything that amp could throw at it I reckon.

Or you could try raising it less but pointing it upwards. Removing the contact with the floor even by an inch will be a big help in combatting feedback but will immediately reduce the percieved low frequencies as you're no longer using the floor (and space underneath) as a soundboard. pointing the speaker away from the body of the upright bass will also help with feedback. You can get little amp stands that rest the speaker at an angle (my dad uses one for his big-band gigs, he can hear himself perfectly (as can the audience) and he's only got a 100w Roland!