Why become a member? ×

Insanely clean 1962 Jazz Bass....

Ok This may be a stupid question since no one has doubted the authenticity of the thing BUT.................

Shouldnt that tortoise scratchplate be shrunk and distorted and pulling the screws out all over the place since the thing is 50 years old? I thought thats what happened to the old style plates? Same goes for the Precision.

Also the cases these things are in look alot more worn than the basses? And finally I dont read anywhere that says this is all original, hasnt been resprayed etc etc.

I have no idea what so ever about original stuff like this so just askin :D

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1328612563' post='1529850']
Ok This may be a stupid question since no one has doubted the authenticity of the thing BUT.................

Shouldnt that tortoise scratchplate be shrunk and distorted and pulling the screws out all over the place since the thing is 50 years old? I thought thats what happened to the old style plates? Same goes for the Precision.

Also the cases these things are in look alot more worn than the basses? And finally I dont read anywhere that says this is all original, hasnt been resprayed etc etc.

I have no idea what so ever about original stuff like this so just askin :D

A
[/quote]

Nitro guards shrink due to exposure, and reaction to external influences, its not a time related thing. These instruments have clearly been kept in the case for the vast majority of their life.

The guitars could well have been moved around alot over the years, which may explain the case condition. In my experience, most near mint 50's/60's instruments, including Strats/tele's etc, almost never have cases that are in as good condition as the instruments they contain. Mint condition cases are far rarer than the instruments, and highly prized when they do turn up.

I've looked at a lot of this guy's sales over many years and I have to say that a few years ago he used to put a description... and just like estate agents speak, the devil was in the detail with regards to what was or was not being offered for sale with regards to originality! <_<

You had to have read enough of his sales to know what I mean but needless to say that should he wish he could very easily have deflected any possible claim that something wasn't as described. However, I now note that he doesn't even bother giving any detail, so it is down to any potential buyer to ask very precise and accurately worded questions to ascertain what is actually being sold! I accept that 'caveat emptor' applies but to give so few details publicly on his listing is ridiculous.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1328639261' post='1530541']
I've looked at a lot of this guy's sales over many years and I have to say that a few years ago he used to put a description... and just like estate agents speak, the devil was in the detail with regards to what was or was not being offered for sale with regards to originality! <_<

You had to have read enough of his sales to know what I mean but needless to say that should he wish he could very easily have deflected any possible claim that something wasn't as described. However, I now note that he doesn't even bother giving any detail, so it is down to any potential buyer to ask very precise and accurately worded questions to ascertain what is actually being sold! I accept that 'caveat emptor' applies but to give so few details publicly on his listing is ridiculous.
[/quote]

With respect anybody actually in the market for an item like this, will not be buying it based on an eBay description. I know I wouldn't or havent in the past. Ebay is used to generate interest, and advertise the item. Actual buyers will be dealing direct with him, and getting all the information they need in order to make an informed decision. You would be very stupid to pay £12k for any item from an ebay ad, without further investigation, whether its a car, guitar or whatever. Lets get real on this.

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

The item is available for sale on eBay isn't it? The fact that is in The States means that there may well be folks on the other side of the World who might be stupid enough to buy this on the strength and faith of the pics and a description! Patently I won't be as I've formed my own opinion of the guy (that and £12k on a bass is chuffin stupid), though I do think the recent case of an ebay counterfeit violin being smashed up might make for an interesting test case on one of his basses! :lol:

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1328640523' post='1530571']
The item is available for sale on eBay isn't it? The fact that is in The States means that there may well be folks on the other side of the World who might be stupid enough to buy this on the strength and faith of the pics and a description! Patently I won't be as I've formed my own opinion of the guy (that and £12k on a bass is chuffin stupid), though I do think the recent case of an ebay counterfeit violin being smashed up might make for an interesting test case on one of his basses! :lol:
[/quote]

Well, I'm on the other side of the planet, and regularly buy guitars from the states, and I wouldnt buy on the strength of an ad alone, and other serious collectors i know would be the same. I recently spent this amount on a purchase in the USA on something that was originally advertised with one pic and a description, needless to say it took a significant amount of following work before i would secure the deal.

Yes it is on eBay, as its the most global way of generating interest in an item you have for sale, most people don't have crystal balls to foresee who may have what available, if you're selling something, you need to advertise it, simple

£12k on a bass may be stupid to you, the same as £65m for a painting might be considered stupid to many others. Personally I can see the case for both being value for money, particularly if its your passion, especially as both will probably be worth over double in 10 years time, based on the past 10 years anyway. Its all relative to your desires, interests, and of course, finances. I wouldnt knock someone for buying a Maserati, despite the fact that a Skoda serves exactly the same function, fair play to them I'd say!

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1328641964' post='1530596']
So its a bit like the old addage - "If you have to ask the price, you cant afford it" only in this case its "If you need me to describe it, you shouldnt be buying it" :D

A
[/quote]

There's certainly some truth in that I think, but you'd still need to see it before splashing that dough! :)

One thing slightly saddens me. This bass will almost certainly never see a gig, at least not at the weekly jam down at the Ferret and Scrotum.

Not sure Leo would have approved. He did after all design and build things to be played rather than spend their life in some temperature controlled vault only to be gawped at few times a year. But I suppose once an owner pays the price he can do what he wants with it. Still makes me a bit sad though.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1328641920' post='1530595']
I recently spent this amount on a purchase in the USA on something that was originally advertised with one pic and a description, needless to say it took a significant amount of following work before i would secure the deal.
[/quote]

I think you may have missed my point Rick. You've stated that you've recently spent this kind of money on a bass... from The States (you don't mention flying out to get it)... based on a description, photos and questions asked! How is that different from buying this bass, off this guy and through ebay? With what I've read of this seller, and with my own research and intuition, I'd still not buy this regardless of whether I had asked your questions because I'd have the fear that I hadn't phrased the questions in the correct way!

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1328642335' post='1530606']
One thing slightly saddens me. This bass will almost certainly never see a gig, at least not at the weekly jam down at the Ferret and Scrotum.

Not sure Leo would have approved. He did after all design and build things to be played rather than spend their life in some temperature controlled vault only to be gawped at few times a year. But I suppose once an owner pays the price he can do what he wants with it. Still makes me a bit sad though.
[/quote]

Don't lose too much sleep, items this good should absolutely be preserved, I'm sure the lucky buyer will have several pre-CBS players basses to take to the Dog n' Duck. I've said this before, if you had a mint 1965 Ferrari 250GT Daytona, you wouldnt use it for the school run, or leave it parked in the Lidl car park, but it was made to be driven!! Horses for courses.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1328642546' post='1530609']
I think you may have missed my point Rick. You've stated that you've recently spent this kind of money on a bass... from The States (you don't mention flying out to get it)... based on a description, photos and questions asked! How is that different from buying this bass, off this guy and through ebay? With what I've read of this seller, and with my own research and intuition, I'd still not buy this regardless of whether I had asked your questions because I'd have the fear that I hadn't phrased the questions in the correct way!
[/quote]

I use a 3rd person, who, for a living, locates basses for you (From a provided wants list), then, at a fee, flies out, inspects them, dismantles them, makes sure their what they should be, then, following agreement of everything, and ultimately my acceptance of his report, agree the price, he then buys it, flies back, and hands it over. I've done it 3 times. Not cheap, although cheaper than you'd think, with the peace of mind of knowing exactly what you're buying. Plus, theres no customs, tax, import fee's etc, which, if you took that off his fee, it all works out very nice. Obviously not cost effective on a $1000 buy, but on a £8K+ purchase, definitely worth it.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1328640523' post='1530571']
[/quote]

you wait, give it a few years and new warwicks will be around that! I think when it comes to something like this it's a collectable rather than an instrument.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1328643152' post='1530621']
you wait, give it a few years and new warwicks will be around that! I think when it comes to something like this it's a collectable rather than an instrument.
[/quote]

Not with you?, are you saying a near mint 1962 Fender Jazz is not an instrument? Surely, if anything, it's a 'collectible instrument'?

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1328642335' post='1530606']
[/quote]

I've just bought it, so you can be happy now BD! See it at the Station in Killingworth next month. It will be just behind the three enormous security guards at stage left...

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1328642851' post='1530614']

Don't lose too much sleep, items this good should absolutely be preserved, I'm sure the lucky buyer will have several pre-CBS players basses to take to the Dog n' Duck. I've said this before, if you had a mint 1965 Ferrari 250GT Daytona, you wouldnt use it for the school run, or leave it parked in the Lidl car park, but it was made to be driven!! Horses for courses.
[/quote]

I really doubt this bass will be gigged whereas a 1965 Ferrari 250GT 'made to be driven' I think would be, though not as we agree for trips to Lidl.

BTW if you say 'horses for courses' quite quickly it can be followed up with 'Sure they do. That's how foals are conceived'

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1328643297' post='1530625']
Not with you?, are you saying a near mint 1962 Fender Jazz is not an instrument? Surely, if anything, it's a 'collectible instrument'?
[/quote]
i didn't mean that did I! :S you know what I meant, it's value comes first from it's collector status and second from it's instrument abilities. I mean this bass could be an absolute dog to play, and if it was a say 1992 model end up being passed around half a dozen folk on here for not much money. As it is it's an old one so worth a bomb, however it plays

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1328644140' post='1530641']
I really doubt this bass will be gigged whereas a 1965 Ferrari 250GT 'made to be driven' I think would be, though not as we agree for trips to Lidl.
[/quote]

I have a similar condition '52 Precision, as you can see in my avatar, and i'll bet any money you like it gets played more than someone drives their £5m Ferrari!!!