Why become a member? ×

Sorted!!

Stacker

Typical eBay mess-up happened today. Am fkn furious and have got to vent my spleen! Some of you on here may also be guitarists so listen to this one.

Surfing ebay yesterday, I began to think about the Fender Bassman. Always wanted one so went and had a look. There were two '59 Reissues and I found myself drawn to [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-TWEED-BASSMAN-BRAND-NEW-JENSEN-P10RS-LACQUERED-TWEED-BROWN-COVER-/160720741533?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item256bb3e49d"]this one[/url]. Had the 5U4G rectifier and although it was 100v (step-down included) I quite fancied it. So, put in a bid and won it. Seller then asks when I'm picking it up. The auction did say collection only but when I offered courier pickup the fella wasn't happy. He then emails me, saying that there might be a solution to this and then asks me to call him, which I do. He tells me he has fallen out with his band and is giving it all up and selling the Bassman and his Gretsch, which was being picked up that day after being supposedly sold. He then says that he will cancel the auction and knock £40 off the price, which would help me with my fuel down from Scotland to Brum and back. I asked him if we had a Gentlemen's Agreement and he said 'yes' so we went ahead . He cancelled the deal (along with me) and then......... he just disappeared.

I sent him a few texts/emails last night about it all but when I heard nothing back I presumed he was doing other stuff. This morning I texted him, stating that I was coming down on Monday and could he confirm. A few emails and texts later, there was still nothing back. Now, I knew he wasn't working so he must have been accessing mail so I began to wonder what was going on. I decided to leave it until early evening and then texted, emailed and phoned both his moby and land-line, leaving messages on the latter two. Still no repllies.

Then, about an hour ago I get a text. He says he's changed his mind and has - suddenly, inside 24hrs - gotten a 'hot, new band' and is keeping all his kit!! I told him I thought he'd gotten a better offer elsewhere and why couldn't he just tell me the score, even if his story about keeping his gear was true!

So, I missed out on the other Bassman as well. I'm fkn furious about this guy. I know some of you are gonna say that I should have refused his offer to cancel and should just have paid via bank transfer or paypal. But this carry-on has happened to me before, so neither of these payment methods would have guaranteed me the amp. I'm really angry and feel well and truly shafted. :angry: :angry: :angry:

There, I feel a bit better after that!

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1328214537' post='1523962']
Typical eBay mess-up happened today. Am fkn furious and have got to vent my spleen! Some of you on here may also be guitarists so listen to this one.

Surfing ebay yesterday, I began to think about the Fender Bassman. Always wanted one so went and had a look. There were two '59 Reissues and I found myself drawn to [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-TWEED-BASSMAN-BRAND-NEW-JENSEN-P10RS-LACQUERED-TWEED-BROWN-COVER-/160720741533?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item256bb3e49d"]this one[/url]. Had the 5U4G rectifier and although it was 100v (step-down included) I quite fancied it. So, put in a bid and won it. Seller then asks when I'm picking it up. The auction did say collection only but when I offered courier pickup the fella wasn't happy. He then emails me, saying that there might be a solution to this and then asks me to call him, which I do. He tells me he has fallen out with his band and is giving it all up and selling the Bassman and his Gretsch, which was being picked up that day after being supposedly sold. He then says that he will cancel the auction and knock £40 off the price, which would help me with my fuel down from Scotland to Brum and back. I asked him if we had a Gentlemen's Agreement and he said 'yes' so we went ahead . He cancelled the deal (along with me) and then......... he just disappeared.

I sent him a few texts/emails last night about it all but when I heard nothing back I presumed he was doing other stuff. This morning I texted him, stating that I was coming down on Monday and could he confirm. A few emails and texts later, there was still nothing back. Now, I knew he wasn't working so he must have been accessing mail so I began to wonder what was going on. I decided to leave it until early evening and then texted, emailed and phoned both his moby and land-line, leaving messages on the latter two. Still no repllies.

Then, about an hour ago I get a text. He says he's changed his mind and has - suddenly, inside 24hrs - gotten a 'hot, new band' and is keeping all his kit!! I told him I thought he'd gotten a better offer elsewhere and why couldn't he just tell me the score, even if his story about keeping his gear was true!

So, I missed out on the other Bassman as well. I'm fkn furious about this guy. I know some of you are gonna say that I should have refused his offer to cancel and should just have paid via bank transfer or paypal. But this carry-on has happened to me before, so neither of these payment methods would have guaranteed me the amp. I'm really angry and feel well and truly shafted. :angry: :angry: :angry:

There, I feel a bit better after that!
[/quote]

I stopped using eBay a few years ago because of stuff like that. These days I deal with people I can shake hands with.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1328218584' post='1524065']
If I was selling something as collection only on eBay and someone bid on it and then wanted a courier I'd be really annoyed and tell them where to go.

The later stuff is annoying but it sounds like a bit of a mess all round.
[/quote]

Are you saying the guy did the right thing fkn me over cos I initially wanted to send a courier???

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1328219169' post='1524091']
Are you saying the guy did the right thing fkn me over cos I initially wanted to send a courier???
[/quote]

I do wish you'd stop swearing, whether it's abbreviated or not.

Anyway... you have to realise that sometimes a courier just isn't convenient - collection during working hours, no evenings or weekends, some people aren't allowed to have things collected from work etc.

If someone buys one of my items at collection only and then send a courier, I'm afraid I cancel and re-list instantly.

Edited by Evil Undead

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1328218961' post='1524082']
English law doesn't have the same strength of verbal contract as scots law does.
Culturally it makes a difference?
[/quote]

'A verbal contract ain't worth the paper it's written on' - err, don't know whose quote that was but was probably Allen Klein.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1328219871' post='1524110']
I do wish you'd stop swearing, whether it's abbreviated or not.

Anyway... you have to realise that sometimes a courier just isn't convenient - collection during working hours, no evenings or weekends, some people aren't allowed to have things collected from work etc.

If someone buys one of my items at collection only and then send a courier, I'm afraid I cancel and re-list instantly.
[/quote]

Swearing or not the courier thing is [i]not[/i] the issue, though some of you seem to be latching onto it. I'm just really annoyed that the seller conned me, for that's what it seems. I had, if you'd read the post, stated that I was more than prepared to go down and collect it. It's just another ebay stiff-over and I'll get over it. Just wanted to lose some frustration in type.

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1328220447' post='1524132']
Swearing or not the courier thing is [i]not[/i] the issue, though some of you seem to be latching onto it. I'm just really annoyed that the seller conned me, for that's what it seems. I had, if you'd read the post, stated that I was more than prepared to go down and collect it. It's just another ebay stiff-over and I'll get over it. Just wanted to lose some frustration in type.
[/quote]

I understand. But my point is, it's likely that he initially thought that you were messing him around by asking to send a courier for a collection only item.

It's frustrating, but if you've lost no money, it's not worth getting angry over.

Possibly, but why then knock £40 off the sale if I agreed to cancel? You might be right but I doubt it: he's either kept it or, more likely, got a better offer on an amp that's already thin on the ground on the s/h market.

And, yes, thankfully no coin changed hands.

I fully sympathise with what happened. Ebay can be a minefield for both buyers and sellers. I've done dozen of deals both ways and the only issues i've ever had have been with guitars/effects etc..However to have won an auction and then been screw*d over with regard to buying a used amp is unusual regardless of offering courier pickup or otherwise. My gut feeling is that the seller wasn't fully commited to the ethos of ebay (probably not happy with the final winning bid) and had made up spurious excuses to pull out. If you have the opportuninity to leave negative feedback, for what little it's worth, leave negative feedback and look again. PS disregard the maiden aunts banging on about the "language", i would like to think we're all adults here!

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1328219169' post='1524091']

[/quote]

No. But you can hardly have endeared yourself to him by ignoring the terms of the auction.

By firstly ignoring the "collection only" part of the auction and then changing your mind about that and saying you'll go get it you may have come across as a bit flakey and indecisive, which may have contributed to him pulling out.

I don't agree with what he did but nor do I think you helped yourself much.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1328223642' post='1524202']
People don't like Courier collections. One of the reasons is because it is up to the seller to make sure you get the goods in one piece. If your courier breaks it or loses it the seller is liable and can have the money removed from his account and refunded to you.
[/quote]

That and it's the standard scam format these days, as witness the scammer thread. I'm away, but I'll send my guys for it... and can I please pay via Paypal?

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1328223642' post='1524202']
People don't like Courier collections. One of the reasons is because it is up to the seller to make sure you get the goods in one piece. If your courier breaks it or loses it the seller is liable and can have the money removed from his account and refunded to you.
[/quote]

If the buyer arranges the courier, ebay count it as collection of the goods and don't hold the seller responsible for damage, even if the seller did an idiot job of packing it. I've tested this.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1328220447' post='1524132']
[/quote]

Try not to get mad about it. I know this may be difficult, but he is the one who is smiling and you are the one who is angry. You cannot change the situation so just put it down to experience. There majority of people on ebay are good and honest, and I have met many great people buying and selling gear. I am sure you will find another and on the plus side you have saved a trip down the M6 to Birmingham which is never a bad thing ;)

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1328221904' post='1524169']
I'll say it again: I did agree to go collect.

Anyway, spleen vented. Done and no money lost and have, in the interim, sourced another '59!!
[/quote]

Didnt you say that he agreed to loose £40 so you could go and collect it? To me that sounds like he would have been loosing out. He shouldnt have messed you about after you both agreeed on something but you shouldnt have messed him about by bidding on a collection only item with no intention of collectiong it.
I can understand him wanting to back out, i would have done the same. I dont blame him for thinking you were wasting his time.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1328265406' post='1524545']
Didnt you say that he agreed to loose £40 so you could go and collect it? To me that sounds like he would have been loosing out. He shouldnt have messed you about after you both agreeed on something but you shouldnt have messed him about by bidding on a collection only item with no intention of collectiong it.
I can understand him wanting to back out, i would have done the same. I dont blame him for thinking you were wasting his time.
[/quote]

Why would you do the same? Why?

After he negged the courier pickup idea, it was HE who offered the £40 reduction to assist withe my fuel, an offer that I did not instigate! But let's look at it another way: at the end of the day, what difference is it to him whether it's I or a courier who stands at his door? Answer me that!

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1328266831' post='1524581']
Why would you do the same? Why?
[/quote]

By that i meant pull out, rather than mess you around. That part im not sticking up for him about.
The difference has already been said, more than once.
I can imagine this guy wanted a quick sale, with pickup because he didnt have time or whatever to pack it up securly, he might even be worried about it getting damaged in transit. This is the difference between you picking it up and him having to get it ready for a courrier (this has always been my reason for doing collection only for bigger stuff). More work for him and that wasnt what he was looking for when he placed the add. If it had got damged in transit this would also mean a long drawn out transaction, something he probley wouldnt want.

You bid on this knowing he wanted collection only. Why didnt you just ask him before bidding?

It sounds like you were messed around and are angry, and rightly so,thats not on and the guy was in the wrong for going about it in that way, but you dont seem too grasp that you were wrong in the first place.