Why become a member? ×

Quality issues

Bassmalloy

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Sold my Fender Chinese made (modern player) jazz bass, and purchased an American special jazz bass to replace it. Bit disappointed really. The workmanship on the American is poor. I own 3 other basses, 2 Mexican Precisions, and a Mexican jazz. All are far better put together and finished compared to the American. The American jazz has a gap where the neck bolts onto the body (on the side), when I got it (new), it had a paint run inside one of the pick up cut outs in the body, I had to cut it out with a narrow blade. And, the corners of the guitar body are slightly rippled, where the wood has not been smoothed off properly before painting. Also, the scratch plate where the truss rod adjustment hole is located, is chipped and scratched. None of my Mexican made Fenders have any of these defects. I do not dispute that the metal work may be of a slightly better quality, but I would not purchase another new American made Fender.[/color][/size][/font]

Edited by Bassmalloy

[sub]Join the club (see a few threads down).[/sub]

[sub]It's disappointing, isn't it?[/sub]

[sub]The neck pocket problem seems VERY common on new American made Fenders. I get the feeling some people are shocked that I dare speak out against QC, but to be honest, at £900-£1100, you would be stupid not to be annoyed.[/sub]

[sub]Can you send it back?[/sub]

[font=times new roman,times,serif]I figured that as individual problems, they are quite small. Have sorted the dried paint drip myself, the rippled body only really notices when the light catches it (although I know it's there), and the truss rod adjustment key rubs against the scratch plate anyway when I use it......So the shop will probably say that I have marked the pick guard myself whilst adjusting the neck. The gap between the neck and the body is about 1 1/2mm, and it's on the underside of the instrument. I doubt very much if Fender will change the guitar. All more annoying than anything, especially as I have purchased this guitar on American reputation!! As one other member put it, it's a bit of a lottery with Fender. They need to look at their quality procedures........ [/font]

that is very disappointing :( I would definitely take it back to the shop.

but don't be too disheartened, because when fender gets it right, the USA basses are brilliant. All three of my USA fenders (2Js and 1P) have been really well built with no issues.

Although the simple fact that not every USA Fender is like this for over 1000 quid is a bit worrying :S

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1327932703' post='1518962']
but don't be too disheartened, because when fender gets it right, the USA basses are brilliant.
[/quote]

For the money USA Fenders cost they should be getting it right [u][b]every single f***ing time[/b][/u].

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1327933145' post='1518966']
For the money USA Fenders cost they should be getting it right [u][b]every single f***ing time[/b][/u].
[/quote]

I know, it is worrying. However it can sometimes be difficult to judge what is not up to scratch, as everyone has different standards. (Obviously neck pocket gaps and rough wood underneath the finish are definitely not acceptable.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1327933145' post='1518966']
[/quote]

Exactly - often I feel the second hand prices are more fitting for a new Fender given the crap you often have to deal with. It's probably the reason I've never bought one new or unseen.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1327934569' post='1518999']
Why did the font keep changing for the first 4 or 5 posts?

I actually cant read it!
[/quote]

I wondered that too ?

[size=2][font=georgia, serif]unless someone is doing it on purpose ?[/font][/size]

Edited by daz

[size=4]The BC editor these days is crap!![/size]

[size=4]I lived through the era of 70's Fender QC. Enough said! [/size]

[size=4]The last time I looked at Fender was when I was moving to a 5 string and as the reviews were generally negative I decided to bypass Fender 5's altogether and go for a Musicman SR5. That was a good decision.[/size]

[size=4]Since then the 5 string market has taken off at all price points and I really don't see why I have to waste my time wading through bad examples of Fender's work to find a diamond when I can pick up any one of a dozen basses from other manufacturers and get a great bass right off. [/size]

I've got a 2006 US standard Jazz, I got it second hand , the only fault that I think was there when it was made is that the bushes on the back for through stringing aren't stuck in and fall out when you take strings off!
As I didn't get it new, the through stringing might have been done later. When i got it the action was sky high, it's now seriously low , it has a little fret buzz around 3rd fret but not enough to anoy me.Yes. you have to take the scratch plate off to adjust the truss.
While Fender aren't the high end instrument that they once were it still has some details that stand out over cheaper basses. The neck feels beautiful solid , but is nice and slim (others have commented on this after trying it) The body contouring is nicer (in looks and feel) than most coppies I've tried.
It's a shame that quality control seems so lax, you would probably be doing everyone a favour by complaining , eventually something must filter back to the factory.
I was under no ilusions when I bought it , it's not a work of art , it's a good quality tool (that looks nice too!) - at least it should be.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1328011707' post='1520200']
Road Worn instead? Of the highest Mexican quality....maybe better QC than the USA?
[/quote]

Darn fine basses.

Though re this thread, I must be very lucky, as I`ve never played/owned a Fender that I didn`t think was fine. Yes, some have been better than others, but for me that`s usually the depth of the neck - I do like a baseball bat cut in half, but it`s not been that the others were poor. Do have to say though, I think that the current prices are a bit steep.

The only part for me where I have found Fender a let-down is when buying new. Only ever had one new Fender that didn`t require a good set up, and I like fairly high action, so for me to find the action too high - well that`s higher than Pete Doherty & Kate Moss in a hot air balloon.