Why become a member? ×

Thumpinator and B flat

Dropzone

I use the Thumpinator with a Wal Mk.II and a Status Streamline, both 34" scale 5-string.

There is no "loss" of any sound or feeling, just a slightly tighter, cleaner tone to all the strings.

The effect is subtle, but it's there.

Chris, feel free to pop round and try mine if you like.

I'd be surprised if you'd be able to hear the difference, from what I've read the majority of basses won't be producing the fundamental of the low B or lower anyway and our ears just fill in the missing frequencies from our expectations like on a telephone. Do your cabs even go that low?

[size=4]Tweeters go higher than basses can go but they are supposed to add "something" to the top end of the sound, I've seen it described as "air". [/size]

[size=4]I wondered if the sub frequencies even though you can't hear them, add anything to the feel, depth or power of the low notes.[/size]

I must admit that there is a load of wallow at B flat. From what I can recall the Tumpinator takes everything below B away. I have been told that I have the loudest bass sound some have ever heard or felt, so I have backed off a little. I suppose it is bass you feel as much as you hear ;-)

Whilst I don't have a Thumpinator, the Genz Benz amps have a similar system built in (one of the things I checked with Mr Benz before I bought as I was considering a Thumpinator at the time). We tune down a semitone and it has no noticable effect on the sound, just a solid low B/Bb.

As I understand it what both do is filter the ultra low harmonics that you cannot hear anyway, but that lead to big speaker excursions expending a lot of energy to no audible effect.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1327955551' post='1519509']
My Markbass cab enjoys low A....
[/quote]

Then it definitely isn't seeing, and you're not hearing, a huge amount of fundamental (unsurprisingly). Though I think the MB are good cabs, there is no way one of their 410s can produce much down there at angry volume. I think the F1 preamp already has a modest amount of subsonic roll-off, but an additional, steeper low-pass filter wouldn't hurt at all.

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1327956073' post='1519532']
Then it definitely isn't seeing, and you're not hearing, a huge amount of fundamental (unsurprisingly). Though I think the MB are good cabs, there is no way one of their 410s can produce much down there at angry volume. I think the F1 preamp already has a modest amount of subsonic roll-off, but an additional, steeper low-pass filter wouldn't hurt at all.
[/quote]

Definitely, they advertise it going down to 30Hz before the standard rolloff etc etc... The low A used to be the loudest thing before I started using compression to tame it too! :blink:

What is compression? Read this: [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/howto.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.c...les/howto.shtml[/url]

And the low pass filter on your amp does the exact opposite of the high pass filter in the Thumpinator.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1327956888' post='1519558']
Definitely, they advertise it going down to 30Hz before the standard rolloff etc etc...
[/quote]

It doesn't even go down that low before it starts rolling off, I'd be amazed if they are tuned much below 45Hz. 30Hz is most likely -10dB at most. Oh I should edit my post for the typo, obv meant hi-pass filter! :gas:

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1327956888' post='1519558']
Definitely, they advertise it going down to 30Hz before the standard rolloff etc etc... The low A used to be the loudest thing before I started using compression to tame it too! :blink:
[/quote]

Marketing, or "lies" as it is also known, is something to take with a pinch of salt. If Mark Bass cabs go down that low then I will eat my hat. That's nothing against Mark Bass by the way. What you'll be hearing in the "loudness" of the low A won't be the fundamental anyway.