Why become a member? ×

Pmt Bristol

CyberBass

Went to Pmt Bristol yesterday as its my 50th Birthday in couple of weeks time I thought I would have a look to see if anything took my fancy as the wife has been nagging me to find something I want. Naturally went straight to the basses looking at the Fenders. The manager who I've known for many years greeted me and and said, don't look at the fenders look at the sandbergs, which I did and did some a b comparisons, and one bass took my fancy, it was a sandberg California umbo 4 string. Now I generally get good prices from the manager, primarily because I have spent thousands with them, sound control etc through my studio. Anyway to cut to the chase if offered it to me with only a £50 at £1249. I said I would get back to him.
When I got home I did an Internet search and found one at £869 clearance in stock else where, I then went back to pmt and gave him the opportunity to reduce his price or price match to which he responded:
Hi Ade,
I have looked and yes they have it at a stupid less than cost clearance price. I can't match the price at a huge loss obviously.
Anyway I'm not working today or tomorrow so will have to leave it with you to buy it from who every you feel has given you the best advice/ service etc.
Cheers mate.
Catch you soon.

My thoughts are mixed, on the one hand he should price match, but it is a hell of a reduction, however not even an attempt to reduce his price.

What are your thoughts? Price promise ? Is it just a way to make people think they are buying at the best price?

Sounds like emotional blackmail to me! Go for the best deal you can get! It's a big difference.
Mrs CyberBass must be a diamond if she's been nagging you to get what you want! ;)
The current mrs discreet is just as likely to give me a thwack round the groin with a tea towel! If I'm lucky. :gas:

Tbh, PMT/Reverb/Sound Control have always lost money in Bristol, the manager your on about has never actually made a profit and has been there for years. The only reason why the store keeps managing to change hands is because SC, Reverb and PMT, when they sell it always make sure the online sales go through that one store, so it "Seems" like it is making a huge profit.

Go with the cheaper option, then get Eltham to set it up.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327860621' post='1517812']
Sounds like emotional blackmail to me! Go for the best deal you can get! It's a big difference.
Mrs CyberBass must be a diamond if she's been nagging you to get what you want! ;)
The current mrs discreet is just as likely to give me a thwack round the groin with a tea towel! If I'm lucky. :gas:
[/quote]

I dont think its emotional blackmail, its just the truth. The manager cant pricematch at online clearence levels.

[quote name='CyberBass' timestamp='1327860095' post='1517798']
Anyway I'm not working today or tomorrow so will have to leave it with you to buy it from who every you feel has given you the best advice/ service etc
[/quote]

£50 off something £1299 isn't much (4%) - i'd be quite insulted if that was their best offer and i'd been going for years. Perhaps because you're such a good customer they're taking that for granted ? I'd go for the clearance one myself - there's just too big a price difference in this instance (for which I don't blame the higher priced shop).

I do think there could have been some form of gesture other than £50.
I wasn't expecting him to price match. But I do have to ask, are the price match promises selective or not?
Like I said ime not questioning this specific item as that would be unfair.
So, if a company publicly quote price promise, should they not stand by there statement?

If everywhere else were selling them so cheap then he'd obviously be trying to take advantage of perceived loyalty. Since the cheaper bass is a one-off clearance you can't blame them - but only offering £50 in my mind means he's not that bothered about your custom or doesn't think you'll buy it from them anyway as the price difference is so drastic even if he tries harder.

It does seem to be a general malaise in the sales sector generally. Companies don't appear to value customer loyalty like they used to (and no it's not me being an old fart complaining that fings ain't wot vey use ter be). Most of the thrust seems totally focussed on pinching customers off their competitors - once they've got you, your importance to them drops like a stone.

Save yourself £400. No contest. I'd even be tempted to tell the store manager what you've done, and ask him why he couldn't do a better deal for such a loyal customer.

Edited by leftybassman392

This is what's on their website. I think the problem may be the word "request"

We constantly monitor our competitors prices to ensure that we're the best. However if you do find it cheaper, you can request an INSTANT price match during our opening hours by phone on 01702 436501, or by e-mail to

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1327872358' post='1518133']
Companies don't appear to value customer loyalty like they used to
[/quote]

Equally, customers don't value the service and advice though. They turn up in shops, take up an hour of an assistants time and advice and try the instrument for free, then threaten the shop with a 'if you don't price match I'll buy it elsewhere/where its cheaper' line.

I saw a guy in my local music shop try to barter off £70 from a sub £200 guitar. The assistant said £50 was the best they could do, plus £10 worth of in store vouchers through a loyalty card scheme and the guy walked out claiming he was a loyal customer who was being betrayed by the shop because they wouldn't be held to ransom.

If it was me, I would have payed the extra ten pounds.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1327872373' post='1518134']
This is what's on their website. I think the problem may be the word "request"

We constantly monitor our competitors prices to ensure that we're the best. However if you do find it cheaper, you can request an INSTANT price match during our opening hours by phone on 01702 436501, or by e-mail to
[/quote]

A quick read would give you the perception that they offer a price match promise- but its obviously a big con! "Request?" FFS!

Normally the item has to be on sale within a certain radius, in stock and not on-line so even if it was a genuine price promise PMT offered I think you wouldn't qualify on this clearance one anyway.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1327873096' post='1518145']
Equally, customers don't value the service and advice though. They turn up in shops, take up an hour of an assistants time and advice and try the instrument for free, then threaten the shop with a 'if you don't price match I'll buy it elsewhere/where its cheaper' line.

I saw a guy in my local music shop try to barter off £70 from a sub £200 guitar. The assistant said £50 was the best they could do, plus £10 worth of in store vouchers through a loyalty card scheme and the guy walked out claiming he was a loyal customer who was being betrayed by the shop because they wouldn't be held to ransom.

If it was me, I would have payed the extra ten pounds.
[/quote]

Point taken, but I can't help wondering whether the retail sector - not to mention the insurance industry - hasn't brought some of this on themselves. For many years now businesses have been shouting at us how much cheaper they are than their competitors - witness the current 'price war' going on between the major supermarket chains (as it happens I think it's a phoney war, but that's another thread).

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1327873991' post='1518174']
Point taken, but I can't help wondering whether the retail sector - not to mention the insurance industry - hasn't brought some of this on themselves. For many years now businesses have been shouting at us how much cheaper they are than their competitors - witness the current 'price war' going on between the major supermarket chains (as it happens I think it's a phoney war, but that's another thread).
[/quote]

You could be right. I know for a fact that (similar to the album/single/DVD of the week stands at HMV) companies can pay manufacturers to get the best deal. A friend of mine works for a major music retail chain and they recently paid Yamaha a large sum of money so that they could lower the cost price of a specific model of keyboard. They then paid to secure this so that they could offer the lowest price, taking away the possibility of customers getting a lower price match and also drawing in more business.

They can also report any other companies to yamaha if they find they are price matching or lower their prices to compete. Yamaha then threaten to stop stocking the offending company.

No doubt it'll be happening with other brands and instruments behind the scenes too. May the highest bidder win!

Edited by skej21