Why become a member? ×

volume eleven guitars... anyone heard of them?

LukeFRC

well in hunting around the net I found this company [url="http://www.volumeeleven.co.uk/"]http://www.volumeeleven.co.uk/[/url] selling 'british built' basses for under £500, I'm guessing foreign made woodworking? anyone know owt about them?

Edited by LukeFRC

Seems strange that they have a go at the problems of 'famous-named basses' but are willing to basically use the design of said 'famous-named basses'.

I would certainly have a look at one if I saw them, though I would try anything if asked. But essentially it seems like Warmoth with fewer options with the bonus that they actually make it for you. They need a few non-jazz bass designs though, or any other designs.

Hi Guys, i run Volume eleven guitars and im more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Unfortunately most brand bass's have the bodies and necks made over seas as its cheaper for them to do so, however looking closely the workman ship is good (depending on the factory), but not finished with as much attention to detail and care as possible. All the Parts are shipped to us separately, dressed, sanded and joined by hand, as well as all the electronics. These are all good solid materials, even the capacitors are paper and oil ex-Russian military! personally, I think is a very nice sound. I appreciate that that at the moment the range is pretty limited but we are a brand new company, as we grow so will out range. we are already working on a custom shape body, acoustic, fretless and 5 stings.

im based in the midlands but im more than happy to meet any of you and show you some of the guitars so you can check the quality yourself :)

Any questions at all just drop me an email, a text or even a call

Thanks Guys – always interested in feedback.

Mudie - 07725874410

[quote name='Mudie' timestamp='1327940538' post='1519123']
Hi Guys, i run Volume eleven guitars and im more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Unfortunately most brand bass's have the bodies and necks made over seas as its cheaper for them to do so, however looking closely the workman ship is good (depending on the factory), but not finished with as much attention to detail and care as possible. All the Parts are shipped to us separately, dressed, sanded and joined by hand, as well as all the electronics. These are all good solid materials, even the capacitors are paper and oil ex-Russian military! personally, I think is a very nice sound. I appreciate that that at the moment the range is pretty limited but we are a brand new company, as we grow so will out range. we are already working on a custom shape body, acoustic, fretless and 5 stings.

im based in the midlands but im more than happy to meet any of you and show you some of the guitars so you can check the quality yourself :)

Any questions at all just drop me an email, a text or even a call

Thanks Guys – always interested in feedback.

Mudie - 07725874410
[/quote]

Hi Mudie,
I saw your website and stuck the first post up here as I thought that what you were doing sounded interesting. It's fantastic you've come to say 'Hi'
I just wondered if you could tell us a little more about your stuff, why you get the parts you do and what you spec to the parts factories. (i.e. your sales pitch) - I think your business/contruction plan sounds brilliant and the one thing that would hold me off buying would be knowing about how good the stuff is, tell us more!

Luke

Hi Luke, Thanks for showing such an interest!

I have spent the last two years sourcing manufactures and materials for this project, After testing out a number of factories and various parts of the world I found a number of small companies in china that are separately producing the hardware, the bodies and the necks. I find dealing with the smaller companies is much better as to keeping the quality control up as high as possible, all this can be done much cheaper by the larger companies but I find its worth paying the extra for a better playing and better looking bass. Cutting corners always leads to problems down the line! All parts are then shipped to the UK where I personally check every one. All electronics are UK sourced (apart from the Russian capacitors) and are top spec. The pick-ups are Hand wound by our friends at Wizard pick-ups, again, these are by no means cheap pickups but in our opinion possibly the best in the world right now. After receiving an order the customs body again goes though rigours quality control, the neck dressed, electronics and pickups fitted and the bass hand assembled to the customers specification.

Hope this answered your question, im more than happy to take some photos of some pre-built basses if you would at least like to see them.

Thanks

Mudie.

• 2 months later...

Got myself a Volume Eleven bass through....

Playability is amazing! I've owned 3 mexican fenders and 1 US fender and the V11 plays better than any of them.

The sound is incredible. I personally ordered the Hammer pick-ups which sound great for my personal style of pop rock but the drive these give could suit any rock genre.

I have played for 10 years and I would recommend Volume Eleven every time!

[quote name='BassistAdamski' timestamp='1334660817' post='1619209']
Got myself a Volume Eleven bass through....

Playability is amazing! I've owned 3 mexican fenders and 1 US fender and the V11 plays better than any of them.

The sound is incredible. I personally ordered the Hammer pick-ups which sound great for my personal style of pop rock but the drive these give could suit any rock genre.

I have played for 10 years and I would recommend Volume Eleven every time!
[/quote]

Hello BassistAdamski thanks for the great, in-depth and insightful review, you do write like a PR man or untalented copywriter though, but seeing as it's your first ever post on here that you registered just to post this gushing review we'll let you off. Lets see some photos of it then!

Edited by LukeFRC

My, my, we're a big bunch of cynics, aren't we? :lol:

[i]Does the world need another Fender clone?[/i]

Possibly not, but it's not stopped many - Alleva, Sadowsky... and if I'm willing to hear out their justifications, I'm sure I can manage a few moments here for a British manufacturer.

Get some pictures up Mudie, it's a chance to show off your product :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys, sorry for the late reply!

Just an update that we're soon to be releasing our own shape for all of you who weren't so happy to see a jazz bass! and also a precision model.

Until then i thought id put up a few pictures of some current orders i've had.

Thanks guys.

http://imgur.com/a/Xp0bm#0

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/Xp0bm/embed"></iframe>

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1334695659' post='1620008']
Hello BassistAdamski thanks for the great, in-depth and insightful review, you do write like a PR man or untalented copywriter though, but seeing as it's your first ever post on here that you registered just to post this gushing review we'll let you off. Lets see some photos of it then!
[/quote]

He is actually one of our endorsees, and will be posting a video review in the next week, il be sure to put it up!

[quote name='Mudie' timestamp='1341241868' post='1715594']
He is actually one of our endorsees, and will be posting a video review in the next week, il be sure to put it up!
[/quote]

Hello Mudie. Interesting that you have chosen to ignore my comments via PM that your website implies that these are British built basses, when they are in fact far eastern parts that are [i]Assembled[/i] in the UK.

Can you shed any light on why you would put "British handbuilt custom guitars" on your website? When this is not the case.

Below is the pm I sent you, which you have read but chose to dissapear after reading.

[quote]Hey J.

A little word of advice, I have seen alot of speil in my time of buying basses, in asking a very simple question "Are the bass parts made in China and the pickups are made in England", you just have to say yes, launching into a very detailed response which takes an age to read (Which is just a copy and paste of previous posts), just insults the potential customer. Its a simple question, just answer simply.

Secondly the implication on your website is that they are "British Handbuilt bass guitars" on your website. They are parts from the far east, hand "assembled" in the UK, with British pickups. You could really wind up with some legal proceedings if a customer bought a bass on good faith it was made in britain. Also it states that the basses are built by "Experienced professionals" Do you mean to say you know that the parts that are built in China are built by experienced professionals only? Pretty sure you wouldnt be able to verify that that and it will be CNC manufactured, not hand built like you mention.

Truth is, I could buy the some Mighty mite parts and build a bass for much cheaper then what your offering. Your company is certainly not the first company to offers this "Service" the "Certain bass" company being one of them, they also had litigation put against them because they were very economical of the truth on how their basses were built.

I think you should take some courses in business and law, it will really help you in the future.

On a plus side, if you can make me an Antigua finished Jazz bass copy with a Maple/Maple neck with pearloid block inlays and binding and matching Antigua scratchplate for £500, then i'll be a customer.

Rob.[/quote]

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1341242053' post='1715597']
Hello Mudie. Interesting that you have chosen to ignore my comments via PM that your website implies that these are British built basses, when they are in fact far eastern parts that are [i]Assembled[/i] in the UK.

Can you shed any light on why you would put "British handbuilt custom guitars" on your website? When this is not the case.

Below is the pm I sent you, which you have read but chose to dissapear after reading.
[/quote]

Firstly, i have not received any PMs or even know what a PM is. I sand the bodies by hand, spray varnish and paint the wood and necks, fit them, solder and fit all the electronics and hardware (ALL of which are UK sourced, apart from our capacitors which are ex-russian military) from a small workshop in Worcester.

Yes, the wood comes in from china. it is built in Worcester. I could source wood and have them made entirely made in the UK but this would push the price up to around the £1000-2000 mark and wouldn't make any difference in the quality.

[quote name='Mudie' timestamp='1341243598' post='1715631']
Firstly, i have not received any PMs or even know what a PM is.
[/quote]

A PM is a Personal Message. Look at the little envelope at the top right of your page. Alternatively, look at the "Personal Messenger" section in your profile.

From my point of view, "Hand Built in the UK" suggests that the bodies and necks have been created in the UK. Not CNC, but a human with bandsaw/router etc.