Why become a member? ×

Fender Lottery

Musicman20

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1327684967' post='1515431']
If this was me I'd double check with the store that the credit you have will still be good in 6 months, a year, whatever (no reason it shouldn't be) and then just leave well enough alone for a while. Get your car sorted, make a weekend out of it and take a trip down whenever it suits. Until then just play the gorgeous basses you have.

I'm not being sarky here - been in exactly the same position of being more than frustrated on repeated occasions. Most recently a bass I have was seriously in line to becoming firewood because an earthing problem would just not go away. It literally took me packing the bass away out of sight before I could think about something else.
[/quote]

Good advice dude.[i] Im moving in 3-4 months or less, so I doubt ill be going down south for a LONG time due to other commitments. Im considering trying another P...I must admit I still want one.[/i]

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1327881710' post='1518364']
Sorry dude I meant him but since we are on it are u Gigi g much ?

I was just wondering if the other Gareth plays all his basses much or weather they stay in the bedroom !
[/quote]

Before the beginning of the month, we were fairly busy. In fact, we hoped to be extremely busy over Jan-July before I moved away. Our plans have been changed due to our vocalist. If they don't improve, I will be moving early as the band is the only part of the town that I want to stay around for (and family).

My career/education and working life are far more important than playing bass (even though obviously bass is much more fun) so it always takes a backseat. I am a collector as well and a part time musician, but like most on this site, I realise gigging and being a musician doesn't provide that much money!

I get a lot of pleasure from simply playing along to music at home, so gigging and rehearsing are a real treat when I get time.

Edited by Musicman20

Hey sorry dude diddnt mean to offend you and I hope there is no serious problem with anybody collecting basses.

I have bought 2 basses in my life that I have not played in person, one I am really happy with the other a music man I was a bit annoyed by the lack of quality control but it was a fine bass.

You seem to be far less lucky or maybe have a better attention to detail. You see I do work as a Musican and I do make a good living from it but basses are my tools of the trade. I don't get to spend time going over them as much as I would like because when I am not playing I am with my family.
I am not having a go at you dude but considering how you do seem to be less forgiving than I am I don't understand why you keep ordering basses that you haven't played yet that's all dude

I am alway curious to see if the guys here play and what type of gig they do.

As I said I diddnt mean to sound like I was being disrespectful.

D

No worries dude! Im glad some of us can make a living off it, believe me I would! My tools of the trade are law books, statutes, etc, so they are MUCH less exciting than a bass!

I am not very forgiving, and I have become picky as my knowledge has grown. My bass teacher always said 'don't buy a bass that you know isn't as good as it should be'. He was well aware of Fender QC...

I agree that after a while, you have to take something that's 90% there, and my main problem is that I don't live (currently) near a good bass shop.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1327683115' post='1515391']
G &L? Sandberg? Lakland? Dingwall? Spector? Not heard many Qc related gripes about any of these.Then there's the likes of Status, Vigier, Modulus, Alembic, Sadowsky and so on.
Btw, has anyone ever had a naff Yamaha?
[/quote]

If you add the total sales from all of the above together - they probably don't come near 5% of the numbers that Fender have sold, so the law of averages says - there's bound to be a few slip through :rolleyes:

I had a MIM P once, it was the one they did for Fender's 60th Birthday. I've since sold it on (if I'd have known about this place I'd have asked you lot about what it should have been worth - I got it 2nd hand, never gigged, mint condition, the only thing it needed was a setup, the action was all out of whack)..

Apart from the aforementioned action issues, it was a fine bass, I just never got on with the neck profile, too big for me!

My '11 VM Squier J is sweet as a nut, and far superior to any USA Std J I've tried.. So maybe it's worth looking at a Squier? Aways try before you buy though. Golden rule.

[quote name='Jayben' timestamp='1328056106' post='1521293']
Aways try before you buy though. Golden rule.
[/quote]

Undoubtedly very good advice, but it's not always practical. Especially if you want to take advantage of the competitive pricing offered by online stores. I bought both my Fender P and Squier J unseen over the internet and - fortunately - they're both very good basses with no QC issues. But I can see that you do run the risk of landing up with a lemon - as Musicman20's experience shows.

All in all it's another good argument for buying secondhand off fellow BCers :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1328087700' post='1521455']
Other than two basses ive never got to play any of mine before buying. Ive always brought mail order. The only basses ive ever sent back we all Fenders (4 in the space of 6 weeks back in 2010).
[/quote]

4! I didnt realise it was that many. Woah. Makes me realise perhaps I am actually normal for doing this.

Yep, including the first one i brought it was 4. The first was a MIM 70s Jazz that had a raised 13th fret, the second was a MIA in black that had very poor paintwork, the next two were the MIA's in 3TSB that had the rear pup out of alignment.
The 5th, and the one I settled on was the HW-one, and that too had a raised fret but as it was at the 19th i didnt mind.

Looking back i do think i should have kept the first 3TSB with maple neck, it played and sounded fine, but i just couldntt get over the large gap around the rear pup, especially as my Squiers were spot on and the MIA cost 3 times as much.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1328111281' post='1522022']
especially as my Squiers were spot on and the MIA cost 3 times as much.
[/quote]

...and that is exactly what I think on the matter, and what I said to the store in comparing it much lower value basses.

I just don't understand how they can get it wrong!

I just want to say that I have three Fender USA Precisions. I never played any of them before they came into my possession. All three are superb basses. They are well made. They sound fantastic. They will last a long, long time. That's all.