Why become a member? ×

Fender or Fodera.?

bubinga5

Don't care which as long as I can play bass. They've both got their drawbacks:

Fodera - sounds and feels great but can't do that classic Fender sound that people always seem to want. Plus there's a sort of reverse snobbery about expensive instruments these days.
Fender - never played a five string Fender that I've liked, I like a low B but can live without it.

If I can't sell it or swap and resale value isn't an issue then I don't care, I can get the job done on pretty much anything.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1327653056' post='1514671']
Fender. You can take it anywhere, and no-one will look at you oddly. Everyone knows what to expect and what it sounds like. You do want the gig, don't you?
[/quote]

You wouldn't get the gig with a Fender in my band. You probably wouldn't get it with a Fodera either though...

As an owner of both I think it's a tough decision :(

First thing I guess would be that Fodera can make you a bass that sounds like a Fender if you want but then allow i to have a ream of other tonal options as well.

I heard a guy up close recently playing a modern Fodera Emperor 5 string. He really knew his Foderas having used one for years as his main bass and he's a top session player. With a few flicks of switches and adjusting knobs on the bass, plus maybe the odd amp tweaking, he managed to produce a great old sounding P bass growly thump & then all the way up through a 70's J bridge pickup sound to ultra-modern hi-fi jazzy tones.

Certainly my old '86 Monarch can do a pretty good P bass sound with just the neck P pickup in the mix and tone wound back a bit.

However a Fodera is never going to give you that lovely vibe you can get from a truly classic vintage Fender that you know has been around the block a few times & seen loads of gigs.

Of course, with Fodera's history only going back as far as '83 then Fender have a good 20-30 years of additional history behind them to get that vibe. If the question was - a Fender no older than '83 or a Fodera then the Fodera would win every time.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1327653056' post='1514671']
Fender. You can take it anywhere, and no-one will look at you oddly. Everyone knows what to expect and what it sounds like. You do want the gig, don't you?
[/quote]
Not only do I want the gig, I can do without the worry of who's legging it out of the fire exit with my 6 million dollar Fodera when I'm at the gig.
On that basis alone, a Fender. Although perhaps not a particularly mainstream one. Maybe an Urge or Roscoe Beck...

its seems by a gnats knacker Fender is on top here, if not level pegging, lets face it a Fodera instrument is way better built with more attention to detail, than any Fender... but maybe pushing a bass design to the limits of craftmanship isnt that important to most of us....

i should have polled it... it does say something about the bass playing public in general i think.. no wonder there are so many P bass and Jazz bass copies

Edited by bubinga5

So I have an audition on Monday & currently weighing up whether to take my trusty old Fodera, a vintage Fender P, my flashy red sparkle Alleva Coppolo P or my relic'd Steed/Fender stack knob J.

Luckily the Ritter is out on loan as that's probably a bit too flash for an audition :gas:

May have to try & suss out if the band are 'traditional' Fender/Gibson types or whether I can get away with the Fodera B)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1327774960' post='1516646']
So I have an audition on Monday & currently weighing up whether to take my trusty old Fodera, a vintage Fender P, my flashy red sparkle Alleva Coppolo P or my relic'd Steed/Fender stack knob J.

Luckily the Ritter is out on loan as that's probably a bit too flash for an audition :gas:

May have to try & suss out if the band are 'traditional' Fender/Gibson types or whether I can get away with the Fodera B)
[/quote]i reckon take the Fender Barrie.. see how it pans out...

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1327777120' post='1516695']
i reckon take the Fender Barrie.. see how it pans out...
[/quote]

Yeah, but which one:

'63 P
'72 P
'73 J
'78 J
'79 PJ

'59 J replica build by Wes Steed (has a Fender neck & decal so just looks like a heavily relic'd J)

Too many choices :rolleyes:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327771102' post='1516563']
[size=4]Fender! Precision, in particular.[/size]

Everything I don't like about basses, bass-playing and bass players is represented by Fodera.

*Puts on crash helmet, girds loins and hides in shed*
[/quote]i know where your coming from, but its a shame to blame Fodera, for your own opinions on what you like about bass in music.. some incredible bass lines are played on them....

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1327777299' post='1516701']
Yeah, but which one:

'63 P
'72 P
'73 J
'78 J
'79 PJ

'59 J replica build by Wes Steed (has a Fender neck & decal so just looks like a heavily relic'd J)

Too many choices :rolleyes:
[/quote] good god man youve got too many great basses!!! i would use the 73 jazz... how come we never see pics of these beauties? or have i missed them?