Why become a member? ×

Chuck Rainey - medical costs

Panamonte

Just thought I'd bring this to your attention. I'm fairly sure it's not a (royal) scam *ahem*.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjjDsPmpafg&feature=g-all-u&context=G29d9c15FAAAAAAAAGAA[/media]

[url="http://chuckrainey.chipin.com/chuck-rainey-well-health-fund"]http://chuckrainey.c...ell-health-fund[/url]

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1327581055' post='1513622']
....While I fully appreciate he may have medical bills to pay, this loss of income story sounds like proverbial male cow poo....
[/quote]
[size=4]....and you base that on what, exactly?[/size]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1327581527' post='1513631']
[size=4]....and you base that on what, exactly?[/size]
[/quote]

C'mon Chris, you should know by now, all legendary bass players have final salary pension schemes!!

Let's hope some of the big names that he has been of such great service to in the past can help out.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1327581055' post='1513622']
According to wikipedia, Chuck Rainey is 71 years old. While I fully appreciate he may have medical bills to pay, this loss of income story sounds like proverbial male cow poo.
[/quote]
[quote name='largo' timestamp='1327583534' post='1513701']
I didn't say CR's loss of income was BS I'm sure that's true. He's a pensioner in ill health and I've no doubt he's suffered an income loss.
[/quote]

Sorry Largo, am I missing something here, you've come pretty close to saying exactly that?

My cousin and his wife (originally from here in the UK) lived in the states. When his wife got pregnant, and the birth was approaching, they couldn't afford the medical fees it would entail, so they had to come back to the uk instead.

Edited by kevin_lindsay

[size=4]Chuck Rainey does bass training week ends and is part of the online session community. I hope this is just the tip of his earnings iceberg. [/size]

[size=4]It seems that most of the musicians in the US, even the world renown ones like Chuck, Francis Rocco Prestia, Michael Brecker and Ryan Adams, are on very thin ice when medical bills start and earnings stop. [/size]

f*** me, I only posted a comment. Why does the website not say that he can't afford the medical bills? Instead it says that CR can no longer work (which is true) and that he has a reduced income (which is also true) but my point was that, at 71 years old he typically would have retired and have a reduced incolme anyway. In my opinion, using the reason of a reduced income is really a bit wooly as he should have expected & planned for a reduced income at the age of 71. If he'd had a stroke at 35 years old then my opinion might be different.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1327587065' post='1513798']
[size=4]Chuck Rainey does bass training week ends and is part of the online session community. I hope this is just the tip of his earnings iceberg. [/size]

[size=4]It seems that most of the musicians in the US, even the world renown ones like Chuck, Francis Rocco Prestia, Michael Brecker and Ryan Adams, are on very thin ice when medical bills start and earnings stop. [/size]
[/quote]

I think Michael Brecker is in a place where medical bills and earnings no longer matter. ;)

Sad news about Chuck; met him at a demo he did for PJB amps some years ago and what a lovely guy! I know for sure that I will be playing till I can't - its the way of life for many of us full time players and yes, I'm lucky that should the crap ever hit the fan I do have some bits and bobs to sell on! Anyone wanna Fendah?

Nick

Personally, I'm a bit perplexed. He's self-employed, and has lived his life in a field where self-employment is the norm. It was for him to make relevant provision for his old age and/or ill health. If anything, it's a salutary lesson to all those who will not have sufficient pension to fall back on in retirement and also the necessity to maintain appropriate insurance and assurance. His appeal, though emotional, is little more than begging, and should not be promoted here.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1327888543' post='1518423']. His appeal, though emotional, is little more than begging, and should not be promoted here.
[/quote]

I disagree. Perhaps you are correct that he should have made provisions for a situation like this. It seems he did not. However, I think people are mature enough to make up their own minds on the subject, and act accordingly. They do have a choice. What's wrong with that ???

I suspect he could be hit fairly hard by the massive medical bills you get in the US. Especially given that it sounds as though he is needing help day in, day out. CHuck has played on plenty of records, but I suspect that he doesn't make massive royalities from his parts as a sideman. Hopefully he will be better soon.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1327914679' post='1518519']Perhaps you are correct that he should have made provisions for a situation like this. It seems he did not. ... They do have a choice. What's wrong with that ???[/quote]
He is a US citizen, and has spent his adult life living and working there. He, as any other US citizen, knows how the healthcare system in his own country works, and the insurances he would need to carry being self-emplyed. There is no perhaps about the situation. But, as you rightly say, he had a choice, and his choice was to make no, or inadequate, provision for the situation which he has encountered. As a consequence, he must now live with the outcome, an outcome made from his own choices. As for this thread, highlighting his appeal, it should be in off topic, even applying the most charitable of definitions of subject-matter.

I agree with you basically. When I said "they" had a choice, I meant the people here on this forum have a choice to donate or not. Granted he had a choice too. He did not choose to provide. Should he suffer as a consequence ? People's opinions will differ. So depending on those opinions they can donate or not. I'm afraid I dont see the problem that you obviously do.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1327930681' post='1518914']
He is a US citizen, and has spent his adult life living and working there. He, as any other US citizen, knows how the healthcare system in his own country works, and the insurances he would need to carry being self-emplyed. There is no perhaps about the situation. But, as you rightly say, he had a choice, and his choice was to make no, or inadequate, provision for the situation which he has encountered. As a consequence, he must now live with the outcome, an outcome made from his own choices. As for this thread, highlighting his appeal, it should be in off topic, even applying the most charitable of definitions of subject-matter.
[/quote]

I'm not convinced Chuck Rainey would contribute to my medical costs if I had a problem that was preventing me from working. I don't like the idea that people in the USA can be financially ruined simply because they got sick but there's not a lot I can do about it either. There are many more people than Chuck Rainey in exactly this position right now.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1327930681' post='1518914']
[/quote]
Nice to see that the cup of human kindness is overflowing on this forum once again!