Why become a member? ×

How To Sound Good At Slap Bass (without being that good)

noteman

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]If you're going to learn slap put your effort into learning a basic riff not some trick that won't sound that good in a number anyway. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]If this is all you can play then don't slap in public until you've learnt something better than this.[/font][/color][/size]

I'm not a proficient slap player, but I do okay. I will bust it out if 'asked'. It doesn't really form any significant part of my style and I never wanted to concentrate on that technique as religiously as a lot of players out there. I'm certinaly not on the same level as Mark King or Les Claypool! You need to have a very good inbuilt clock in your head as well as the fingering dexterity for that technique. One doesn't exist without the other, even for basic phrasing. You have to play with confidence because you can make yourself sound like a right t*t when you mess up!

Cool lesson for beginners. Thanks for posting.

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' timestamp='1327519780' post='1512868']
Conan did a video like this on his youtube aaages ago. Still a neat trick to be able to bust out
[/quote]

Conan ?? By Croms beard.! You mean they had the bass in ancient Cimeria ? Was a video found buried in an undergound castle, in ancient Hyborian lands ?

Edited by daz

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' timestamp='1327529539' post='1513081']
:lol: I should have said Conan off of this here site
[/quote]

Damn I bet Conan the Warrior would have played a mean slap bass.

(unlike me who has utterly failed at slap bass despite two people attempting to teach me, and both failing miserably, Both mystified as to why although I was seemingly doing what i was supposed to, I was still getting either a dull thud or a horrible twang!)

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1327612682' post='1514322']...I was still getting either a dull thud or a horrible twang!)
[/quote]

...as do all the other exponents of this 'dark art'. Sounds like you nailed it as good (or bad...) as them. Well done (I think...).