Why become a member? ×

New Fodera Matt Garrison Standard

molan

I see from the NAMM coverage that Fodera have released their latest model in the new 'Standard' line after the Yin Yang Monarch 4 and the Emperor 5.

The next model is a Matt Garrison Signature Imperial 5 with 33" scale and 17.5" bridge spacing. Body is walnut with a box elder burl top, three-piece hard rock maple neck, pau ferro fingerboard & Mother-of-Pearl inlays. Fodera/Duncan dual coil pickups and Fodera/Pope custom shop three-band preamp, ebony ramp, 26 frets, & a drop tuner.

I think these would usually be strung E to C so would be really cool for higher end chordal and fast jazzy work :)

Matt playing one at NAMM:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-rIVGjhNF0[/media]

and a whole 12 minute vid about the decision to make it here:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sD0maOkxeQ[/media]

They are only making 30 of these in the first batch and have already sold about 20 of them at $8,750 each!

I got a message from Phil at BassGear this morning to say he's ordered one for the UK, really looking forward to seeing this, should be here somewhere in the second half of the year. He's also got two Yin Yangs (the last one sold in under 24 hours!) and a pair of Emperor 5 Standards coming in!

Edited by molan

Wow! Great looking bass but we can't really hear what it sounds like from the vid with all the background noise. Having seen MG with Gary Husband's band and heard his (previous) Fodera live I can say that it sounds wonderful but then you've got to factor into it his amazing technique. The price is an issue though... It is ridiculous: for a third of this price, you could have a UK custom-made uber-bass to your own specs including the string spacing, mid-scale, ramp and high-C stringing!

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1327264817' post='1508624']
Wow! Great looking bass but we can't really hear what it sounds like from the vid with all the background noise. Having seen MG with Gary Husband's band and heard his (previous) Fodera live I can say that it sounds wonderful but then you've got to factor into it his amazing technique. The price is an issue though... It is ridiculous: for a third of this price, you could have a UK custom-made uber-bass to your own specs including the string spacing, mid-scale, ramp and high-C stringing!
[/quote]

I'm sure there will be some better sound clips available soon :)

I guess UK price will work out at about £7K - £1,350 of that is shipping, VAT & import duties though :(

Looking through the Talkbass thread, it seems almost as if Fodera ultimate high end bass in terms of attention to detail and cost.

I quite like the tone of the Ying Yang Standard...and the build shape, but the Ying Yang is a big no for me...(just seems a bit cheesy...always reminds me of grunge kids or people trying to be hippies).

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1327320443' post='1509159']
Looking through the Talkbass thread, it seems almost as if Fodera ultimate high end bass in terms of attention to detail and cost.

[/quote]

This is what bothers me. I haven't noticed anything incredible in terms of build quality and attention to detail. I haven't seen one that comes close to my custom Alembic (or any of the others I've seen for that matter). At the last Bass Day I went to I actually thought the build quality of the Everson I played (local luthier) edged the Fodera I tried there, and his bass was about a 6th of the price! Still, each to their own. I do love the MG shape, and I'd certainly like to try one.

It's probably the case that the brand has built up that 'super high end' following that their name is as much a part of why people buy one. Having that Fodera to them might be similar to why my Dad has always wanted a Porsche Carrera. He know the cars are far from perfect, but something draws you in.

I'm finding the whole Fodera thing slightly weird nowadays. Whereas I used to think they signified a serious 'artisan' bass player, they now bring to mind a bank/hedge fund manager type in three quarter length shorts who is desperately excited about owning the 'best bass money can buy' and being in the club.

The Garrison singlecuts are excellent basses but the pricing is giving the brand a strange vibe in my opinion...

I've played a Matt Garrison Fodera a few years back and it was an amazing bass. It really was unlike any other bass I've played and that's why they charge so much. Not better, just different. Unique to them. You can't get the same results elsewhere so they charge accordingly. Supply and demand.
Same with old basses.

Uniquely expensive ;). Although I suppose there are other brands that creep into their realm. Ritter possibly Alembic?

I'm not anti fodera, I just think on the timeline of maturation of the brand they have gone into a weird zone and one which they can't really get out of. Supply and demand is one thing but when the only people that can afford your basses are the wealthy (or very disciplined) your brand's perception will morph into something slightly unappealing (just check out some of the characters in the fodera club threads).

It's the same with Wals, when they went out of business, the whole fetishistic buzz became unbearable. They were unique and often great basses but the hype surrounding them was frankly nauseating. It's great news that they are back up and running and charging a reasonable amount for a good bass and that the hysteria surrounding them has abated.

I often suspect the hype and hot air that drives this fetish thing for basses is driven by wealthy collectors and to become a 'collectors brand' is not appealing, at least for me.

Edited by Cairobill

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1327329316' post='1509362']
Uniquely expensive ;). Although I suppose there are other brands that creep into their realm. Ritter possibly Alembic?

I'm not anti fodera, I just think on the timeline of maturation of the brand they have gone into a weird zone and one which they can't really get out of. Supply and demand is one thing but when the only people that can afford your basses are the wealthy (or very disciplined) your brand's perception will morph into something slightly unappealing (just check out some of the characters in the fodera club threads).

It's the same with Wals, when they went out of business, the whole fetishistic buzz became unbearable. They were unique and often great basses but the hype surrounding them was frankly nauseating. It's great news that they are back up and running and charging a reasonable amount for a good bass and that the hysteria surrounding them has abated.

I often suspect the hype and hot air that drives this fetish thing for basses is driven by wealthy collectors and to be become a 'collectors brand' is not appealing, at least for me.
[/quote]

I agree. They don't apeal to me either.
If I had 8 grand I would buy 4 sadowskys :-)

...But if you want a Fodera/Ritter/Wal/vintage fender then only the real thing will meet that need.

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1327329970' post='1509377']
Saying that, I'm in line for a rather nice custom built singlecut...mwuhahahaha. Not a Fodera though!
[/quote]

...actually I loved the fodera walnut 5 that just sold from bass gear! I can't even begin to consider Fodera gas. My life's hard enough already :-)

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1327331116' post='1509407']
...actually I loved the fodera walnut 5 that just sold from bass gear! I can't even begin to consider Fodera gas. My life's hard enough already :-)
[/quote]

That was a seriously nice example - the guy who bought it is very much going to use it as his main gigging bass, and he plays a LOT!

I must admit that I've met a few Fodera owners and every one of them seems to use their bass as a gigging tool and not a 'hang on the wall' bass. My old '86 Monarch is certainly my first call bass for gigs, rehearsals etc. :)

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1327327683' post='1509330']
Unique to them. You can't get the same results elsewhere so they charge accordingly.
[/quote]

Whilst Fodera are quite simply stunning, I can think of a few basses of similar design and construction, that would probably rival a Fodera in a blind test with ease. Fodera craftsmanship is superb and undoubtedly top level, but the gulf in the market has closed very quickly over the past few years and Fodera/Ken Smith etc etc can no longer say they are top of the leage simply because they are the best builders. And so I am forced to ask the question of what exactly is unique in Fodera basses? The Pope preamp? Possibly, but the best sounding Fodera (IMO) has a Haz Lab preamp in it!

If you buy a Fodera preamp pedal I expect you could get some fairly similar results, though I refute that there is a distinct Fodera tone in the same way as there is a Wal tone, or an Alembic tone, or a Ken Smith tone. A big part of sitting down with a Fodera for the first time was coming to terms with the fact that it sounded great, but not particularly distinctive. There is some variation in the basses, if you go for Aero pickups, Barts or EMG's etc etc, and to me this is where the differences lie. I do think it's as much about the name as anything else, as evidenced by Hadrien Feraud getting a Fodera (as well as a US Ken Smith, and then promptly going back to his Ken Smith Burner!). Not that I disagree with that, Fodera have many great fusion players on their books (and maybe some not-so-great ones like Janek Gwizdala :lol: ).

As much as I love Fodera though, I don't feel the craftsmanship is quite up there with Alembic. I find some Alembic guitars and basses a little fussy and ornate, but their ability to produce something that is absolutely flawless in every minute detail is spectacular.

I know what you mean Chris2112 and you are right that the individual elements are all available elsewhere. It was only after playing one I appreciated why people spend so much. I know all bass makers are unique, but IMO Fodera really are different enough to make me understand why people pay so much.

It really is crazy money for a bass guitar though :-)

Edited by geoffbassist

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1327365294' post='1510219']

Not that I disagree with that, Fodera have many great fusion players on their books (and maybe some not-so-great ones like Janek Gwizdala :lol: ).

As much as I love Fodera though, I don't feel the craftsmanship is quite up there with Alembic. I find some Alembic guitars and basses a little fussy and ornate, but their ability to produce something that is absolutely flawless in every minute detail is spectacular.
[/quote]

I'd say Janek is my favourite Fodera player, along with Matt. He and Matt also have by far my favourite Fodera tones.

I agree about the Alembic thing though!

Nothing surprises me any more. Once American bass players get hyped about something, common sense seems to go out the window. I've played a Fodera Imperial and an MG and they were nice basses but sounded a little sterile. In terms of build quality they were very good but not two thousand quid better than a Sei, Smith or Shuker. OK so they season their necks for years after being laminated but that doesn't justify the cost.

At that level its mostly about image I think. So, yer pays yer money...

The MG standard looks lovely! As far as the Fodera debate goes, the Garrison signature i tried a few years back is the best bass ive ever played (including Sei, Alembic, KS, MTD et al). Some of shukers latest creations have come close though. Do i want one? god yes. Can i afford/justify one? god no.