Why become a member? ×

New MXR Fuzz!

stacedabass

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1327106293' post='1506647']
No, barely any fuzz has a clean blend, and judging by this video I think there's a reason for that: it just sounds odd. Clean + fuzz doesn't really work (that's my opinion).
[/quote]

That's not right - there's plenty of fuzzes out there these days with a clean blend, Iron Either, SM/BS, Wounded Paw, Prescription Electronics and Mallekko all do blended fuzz, and thats just off the top of my head. It's all a matter of opinion but blend makes fuzz well useful for bass players. Fuzz by nature can get lost in a live mix and blending clean signal into it can help maintain your presence - whilst still giving you a killer tone.

[quote name='burno70' timestamp='1327140459' post='1506803']
That's not right - there's plenty of fuzzes out there these days with a clean blend, Iron Either, SM/BS, Wounded Paw, Prescription Electronics and Mallekko all do blended fuzz, and thats just off the top of my head. It's all a matter of opinion but blend makes fuzz well useful for bass players. Fuzz by nature can get lost in a live mix and blending clean signal into it can help maintain your presence - whilst still giving you a killer tone.
[/quote]

What percentage would you say of fuzzes in the world have a clean blend? I'd be surprised if it reaches 5%
What you say of fuzz getting lost in the mix is true (that's why for example the guy at sfx added a mid boost switch to the micro fuzz) however I like to try to fix that with the tone knob or eq instead of blend, as the clean sound and the fuzzy sound always sound too separate, they don't mix (pun intended), unlike what happens with distortion and OD for example (to my ears of course).

Fuzz mixed with clean always sounds to me like clean with some hairiness on the background. That's what this video sounded like.

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1327152295' post='1507042']
What percentage would you say of fuzzes in the world have a clean blend? I'd be surprised if it reaches 5%
What you say of fuzz getting lost in the mix is true (that's why for example the guy at sfx added a mid boost switch to the micro fuzz) however I like to try to fix that with the tone knob or eq instead of blend, as the clean sound and the fuzzy sound always sound too separate, they don't mix (pun intended), unlike what happens with distortion and OD for example (to my ears of course).

Fuzz mixed with clean always sounds to me like clean with some hairiness on the background. That's what this video sounded like.
[/quote]

I suppose I'm kind of similar. I usually find a clean blend to be a 'worst of both worlds' option, though I do admit that it can be done right. I just never got on with the one on the Boss bass OD. If I'm going to use fuzz, I will just go all out.

Back to the topic, yeah it sounds fairly cool in places. I wouldn't mind trying one out and it should be fairly affordable.

In general though I prefer a generally 'gritty' sound that still has definition to a half clean/half fuzzy.

[quote name='burno70' timestamp='1327140459' post='1506803']
[/quote]

By my hands passed Boss OBD-3, Markbass Distorsore, Fultone Bass Drive Mosfet, EHX Bass Big Muff and now i'm settling with a Wren&Cuff Pickle Pie B, all with blend controls. From my list the most useless must be the Boss and the best is the Pickle Pie, it really blends the fuzz with the clean without sounding that the clean just sits on top of the fuzz.

As to the MXR i realy enjoyed the sound of it, i'll give it a good listen in my house this evening and play a bit with the PPB to see wich tone i like best, who know's i end up swapping!

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1327106293' post='1506647']

No, barely any fuzz has a clean blend, and judging by this video I think there's a reason for that: it just sounds odd. Clean + fuzz doesn't really work (that's my opinion).
[/quote]My B.assmaster by Malekko has bass and fuzz gains. Seperate, and it sounds very fine.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1327407507' post='1510610']
By my hands passed Boss OBD-3, Markbass Distorsore, Fultone Bass Drive Mosfet, EHX Bass Big Muff and now i'm settling with a Wren&Cuff Pickle Pie B, all with blend controls. From my list the most useless must be the Boss and the best is the Pickle Pie, it really blends the fuzz with the clean without sounding that the clean just sits on top of the fuzz.

As to the MXR i realy enjoyed the sound of it, i'll give it a good listen in my house this evening and play a bit with the PPB to see wich tone i like best, who know's i end up swapping!
[/quote]

Of the ones you mentioned, only the Big Muff and and the Pickle Pie are fuzz.

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1327152295' post='1507042']

[/quote]

Correct, that's exactly what it's supposed to sound like.... SOLO.

Now, you mix in guitars, drums, keyboard, etc. and you get the balls from the fuzz but still retain the low/ low-mid fundamental to not get obliterated.

[quote name='I am not excane' timestamp='1327886057' post='1518417']
Correct, that's exactly what it's supposed to sound like.... SOLO.

Now, you mix in guitars, drums, keyboard, etc. and you get the balls from the fuzz but still retain the low/ low-mid fundamental to not get obliterated.
[/quote]

Well, not really, because if the low frequencies are largely unaffected and all you're getting is a bit of distorted high freqs. added, when you add the guitar in the same freq. area, it will obliterate the fuzz and you'll only hear the clean bass. If however you have a good fuzz affecting all frequencies from top to bottom or close to it (like for example an old Russian Muff or a Tonebender) you'll retain bass and low mid freqs., they'll be distorted and you'll be able to hear that distortion because you won't have a loud instrument covering those freqs.

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1327886698' post='1518421']
Well, not really, because if the low frequencies are largely unaffected and all you're getting is a bit of distorted high freqs. added, when you add the guitar in the same freq. area, it will obliterate the fuzz and you'll only hear the clean bass. If however you have a good fuzz affecting all frequencies from top to bottom or close to it (like for example an old Russian Muff or a Tonebender) you'll retain bass and low mid freqs., they'll be distorted and you'll be able to hear that distortion because you won't have a loud instrument covering those freqs.
[/quote]

That's just it, what you're saying is true but leaving out a key factor:

The clean blend allows you to bring in ANY frequency you wish, either from your clean bass, EQ, or any other effect before the fuzz. What I love to do is have an overdrive for a nice main tone, then kick on the fuzz (with a clean blend) for heavier parts. I put an emphasis on ALL the frequencies (especially low and mid) with my overdrive so that comes through with fuzz on top of it.

It's not an exact science, I'm just saying what has worked for me.

Yes, a GOOD fuzz ("good" being the key word) will work too but I like having a true clean blend for more complex tones.