Why become a member? ×

Kid in a candy shop - but with basses & amps instead of sweets!

molan

Phil from [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk"]BassGear[/url] is over in LA at Winter NAMM and a friend & I are 'minding the store' for him for the week :)

If anyone fancies popping over I should be hear until Thursday between 11:00 & 17:00

As I'm on duty for the next couple of days it means I have an entire showroom full of Fodera, Alleva Coppolo, Ritter, Zon, Boulder Creek, Zoot, Aguilar, Bag End, MarkBass plus a stack of various pre-owned lovelies to play with!

There's also some new Aphex Exciter pedals to try out.

So far my 'early shift' has consisted of trying a lovely Fodera Emperor 5 through my 'reference' Aguilar TH500 & a pair of SL112's vs a powered Bag End 2x12. Sounds fantastic - especially the B & I'm really no 5 string player these days.

Someone's coming over this afternoon to try the Emperor so thought I'd give it whirl just in case it sells later :)

Now, what next to try. . .

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1326805983' post='1502125']
Try the lot!

You should also do a free give away where I'm the winner. They'd like the initiative you took :)
[/quote]

I like your style - unfortunately Phil knows where I live & is likely to track me down if I start giving his stock away :)

Yay - I sold a Fodera!

Fabulous player from Poland, played some jaw dropping stuff & exchanged a lovely older Anthony Jackson Fodera 5 string double cutaway for the 2010 Fodera Emperor 5.

So nice just to meet new people with great bass playing skills - a couple of his friends came along as well, a guitarist & a drummer, also both great guys & not bad on bass either!

Happy days :)

The Killer B there looks amazing! They are fantastic looking and sounding basses. Were I in the area I'd go out of my way to pop in and say hello. When will photographs of this Anthony Jackson Fodera be coming on the site? Can you tell us a little more about it, like how much it will be selling for?

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1326898411' post='1503394']
The Killer B there looks amazing! They are fantastic looking and sounding basses. Were I in the area I'd go out of my way to pop in and say hello. When will photographs of this Anthony Jackson Fodera be coming on the site? Can you tell us a little more about it, like how much it will be selling for?
[/quote]

The Killer B is pretty cool - had a quick blast on it, nice neck :)

As today was officially 'rig day' I brought my 'reference' old Fodera Monarch along and have been playing it through:

Aguilar TH500 & a pair of SL 112's - my reference rig at home to get my ears tuned to the location.

Next up was a gorgeous chocolate brown AG500 plus 2 x DB112's. Much cleaner & buckets of mid range punch.

Then switched the TH into a pair of Bag Ends, a 1x15 & a 1x10 together, this is a really nice combination, plenty of heft from the 15" but the 10" with tweeter adds more high end than the SL pairing.

Next up was a MarkBass Tube 800 head into a very funky looking Bag End oiled birch 1x15". So long as I left the speaker emulator things alone I managed to get a great sound from this with loads of volume. Could easily gig with this at a pub / small club venue I reckon. Plenty of clarity & really didn't need a tweeter.

Then it was over to a new MarkBass Randy Jackson signature head & cab - I've played this rig before & it's another favourite. It really can pull off a surprising mixture of both older tubey tones and clean precise modern sounds. My Aggie rig edges it for the kind of sound I'm after at the moment though.

After all these 'baby' rigs it was time for some serious noise! Genz Benz GBE 750 head into a Bag End 4x10 with tweeter. Awesome volume (and tHis is an 8ohm cab not 4). Way too many switches for me to fiddle with here but the footswitch lets you toggle between tube / FET, both combined plus a low & high end boost & a mid cut. Loads of great tones available here, Cool overdriven tube right through to ultra clean modern hifi sound. My favourite was setting an approx tone I liked for each channel then using the footswitch to toggle between them on the same riff. Both channels combined adds some real volume - had the roof panels rattling and discovered the sweet resonant spot that makes one particular pnal vibrate ike crazy :)

Great fun all round & still more options to try. The one thing I should say is that I've not come across a single combination I haven't liked yet, lol.

I'm back here again tomorrow - not sure what to play with then, lol.

N.B. I have attempted to 'pay my way' a little today by re-arranging a whole stack of equipment, clearing out the store cupboard & setting up more cabs & amps than usual so people can switch between them a lot quicker :)

The Anthony Jackson doesn't have a price yet - should know tomorrow. It's a 2005 double cut model, figured walnut top, mahogany body, ebony board & mother of pearl dots. Here's a vid of it action [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R53w7KDbZYA&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R53w7KDbZYA&feature=related[/url]

If you jump to about 6:50 you can see/hear it.

Maybe sounds a bit brighter than this (certainly with me playing it through the TH500 + SL112 rig anyway).

Of course - while I'm minding the store I get to set prices (as the saying goes - whilst the boss is away. . .)

Make me some offers people (by PM if you're serous, lol).

PS - I'm not on commission, or even any payment except free tea & three days of 'candy shop' heaven :)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1326906181' post='1503568']
I would have tried the Musicman Reflex 5 over everything...if its there. I want it!!!
[/quote]

Yep, it's hanging on the wall - I was too frightened by all those knobs!

It looks absolutely unplayed - I'll give it a whirl tomorrow :)

If you're at all interested then zap me a PM and I can check anything specifically or take a camera in if you need more pics etc.

I can also contact Phil on pricing or any PX deals etc.

It's a 'shop-owned' bass that came in PX for a Fodera recently :)

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1326905800' post='1503559']
Please do let us know the price of the Contrabass when you've decided on it/got word on it, Barrie.
[/quote]

So here's some camera phone pictures of the Anthony JAckson from the previous owner:

Obviously it looks much nicer in real life :)

Haven't spoken to Phil yet but I'm guessing it's going to sit just below the £5K mark

N.B. Mods - apologies if I'm breaking any protocol(s) here, just trying to help a friend and answer questions as they come up. I'm only helping out in the shop so not actually offering stuff for sale :)