Why become a member? ×

80's 'hair rockers' The irony...

Back in the day, I was one.( more thrash than spandex :) ) As I got older, I knew that my
barnet won't be here forever. In the mid '90s I shaved most of it off. Until then,
my hair was like a badge.

I never bothered with tattoos. Not my thing. (They're everywhere now).

However , I have to laugh as Tonight I'm gonna see Chickenfoot , and
I've just had a number 3.

I think Satch has less than me ..just. :lol:

I used to have hair down to my lower back. I started doing brazilian jujitsu to complement my karate training, and found that the hair got trapped too much, so I had it chopped off. Girlfriend was really upset, but I donated it to http://www.littleprincesses.org.uk/ , which makes wigs for children with cancer. I feel like less of a man at metal gigs, but it's so much easier!

I was only a kid in the 80s but I think I'd probably have had some massive hair!

Naah, not sad here -I had hair down my back for 20 years, then moved on when I was ready. Luckily for me the late 80s and early to mid 90s were receptive to ponytails, so I could hold down a decent job as well as the hair for a good while. Glad I did it, tho. Comes to us all, one way or another, and there's nowt sadder than some bloke my age trying to hang on to his hair in the face of all the evidence to the contrary.

I always '[i]drifted with the fate[/i]' or something and never bothered about the fact that '[i]being responsible and grown up[/i]' would require me cutting my hair. I've had long hair since high school, sometimes to my arms, sometimes shorter, bot never too short. They're getting curly, anyway, so most of the time I had 'Frusicante-ish' hairstyle. And guess what? I got a job as a game designer, so I don't have to be '[i]responsible and grown up[/i]' at all. My style of dressing was always schizophrenic, combining elements of heavy metal, punk rock, grunge and hip-hop styles at once and it's hardly a day without someone staring at me. I always have my trademark bandannas on wrists and fingerless gloves whenever I go outdoors, no matter what time of year it is. And I'm even planning to wear a earring in my ear...

My hair has an odd history, it used to belong to Queen Victoria, I kid!!

I started growing it in 1987 when I was 12. From the moment it was long enough I had it Mulletified and kept it until the end of 1993, when I had it Mohicanified. Though I only had a strip of hair I kept it long at the back. I kept getting the strip thinner and thinner. One day I decided to have the lot off and I've rarely been so uncomfortable in my life! That extra little inch wide strip felt horrid, I couldn't stand anything touching my head, not even my pillow, urgh.
I kept it shaven, with a razor, not clippers, for a few years, except for a short period when I grew a short flat-top for my wedding. I mainly kept it shaved because I suffer with Psoriasis which got worse when my hair grew.
About half way through 1999 I stopped cutting it and have let it grow ever since. It hasn't been touched once with scissors and I only wash it with plain water. It is in lovely condition and my wife says it smells of Apples. It is also long enough that I can wipe the sweat off my goolies with my fringe, though I suspect that would stop it from smelling of Apples...
The oddest part about my hair is it's colour. I used to be blond, very blond, like Nordic, along with my blue eyes, like my Dad's Then, when I turned 14 it went grey, all of it. But, when I started growing it this last time it is now very dark brown, like my Mum's.

There you go, all the things about my hair you never wanted to know.

In the 80s I had the traditional mullet....nothing as bad as Pat Sharp I must add though!

But then as you get older....and thinning out, it was time for the haircuts to come back round more often, then more and more often.

Now 20 years on, its the clippers right down to the wood with less scalp to actually buzz over........hats...that's the way forward!

Late 70's blond hair down to my waist at the back. Girlfriend used to trim it into a "V" shape at the back.
Always had longer hair than girlfriends funnily enough.
Being an engineer i had to either ponytail or use a cap with hairnet at the back which were supplied in engineering in them good old days.
As i got older i developed into a mullett and although the mullet has gotten shorter i still retain the same style to this day even in my current role as Engineering Manager. Must admit though that the back is only slightly long to just over my collar.
The big change came about 10yrs ago when i started going grey and now fully grey but at least i still have a reasonably good head of hair for 51yr old. Both my brothers totally bald by 28 - 30. Mmmm now I'm wondering ??? <_<
Some things had to change before i got promotions I'm afraid. Long hair is frowned upon in Management you know. :rolleyes:
I found my hair style and length only changed because girlfriends wanted to change it.
Is that aggressive sexism or just the way of the world. :D

Dave

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1326552149' post='1498751']
Back in the day, I was one.( more thrash than spandex :) ) As I got older, I knew that my
barnet won't be here forever. In the mid '90s I shaved most of it off. Until then,
my hair was like a badge.

I never bothered with tattoos. Not my thing. (They're everywhere now).

However , I have to laugh as Tonight I'm gonna see Chickenfoot , and
I've just had a number 3.

I think Satch has less than me ..just. :lol:
[/quote]

When I visited my mate, he put on a Chickenfoot dvd, and his youngest (my God-daughter) looked at me (as she knows I`m in a band), then looked at Satch on the dvd, and asked "Is that you?" I said no, but she even enquired "Are you sure?".

I assure her that if she heard me play lead guitar, she would no longer have any doubts.

Great that I now, with no hair at all, look like I can be in a rock band :lol: