Why become a member? ×

People like SH*T

Prime_BASS

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1326153557' post='1493201']
Erm - I think we have to call them 'vocal backing artistes' these days... :)
[/quote]

There's a 'Greater Tit' joke there somewhere, but Wooten wouldn't approve! :D

Si

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1326150136' post='1493136']
Not much to discuss really, by your own admission your 'no Victor Wooten fan'. You've managed to find an exceptionally ropey quality clip and used it to justify your view. The discussion would have more merit had you chosen a better quality clip.
To criticise VW (or the audience) on the basis of that clip says more about the OP than VW.
I'm not particularly a fan of VW or that style... BUT, I do know that to ignore someone of Wooten's obvious ability and not take a closer look will more likely upset your musical development more than it will hurt Victor Wooten.
[/quote]
Obviously you assumed I had wasted my valuble time searching youtube for a bad example of somene playing what is in my opinion aweful "music". I was actually on something completly un-related when it came up as a suggestion, it could have been any tom dick or harry, but the fact it was this "talented" "God" (as some even commented on the video) and people cheering made me want to discuss the matter of people liking all that clciky nonsense. Again couldn't give a damn who the player is.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1326149902' post='1493132']

Of course, he wouldn't play like that in a different musical situation as he said himself. But showing off tricks at a trade show should be seen for what it is and not taken too seriously - what is wrong with seeing a master craftsman showing off his trademark licks anyway?
[/quote]

I would say Beethoven has a particular finesse on a piano, and has trademarks, or a style. I don't recall him ever punching the piano strings.

At my next gig, I'll be learning from VW and stealing the coverted technique of knuckle against string, I hope someone video's it, my ego needs boosting.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1326154983' post='1493217']
I would say Beethoven has a particular finesse on a piano, and has trademarks, or a style. I don't recall him ever punching the piano strings.
[/quote]

You saw Beethoven?! (are you Bill S. Preston by any chance? ;) )

Interesting example though as Beethoven employed some very thick, percussive bass voicings to try and extract maximum power from the piano. His cadenzas for Mozart's piano concertos are pretty shamelessly flash too.

But more than for the piano, look at great string players/composers of the past and there are a fair amount of crazy bangs, bashes and scrapes going on as the intensity builds. It doesn't make any sense at all when taken out of context.

I honestly can't understand criticism based on a video that starts most of the way through whatever it is they are playing and where the audio recording quality renders it unintelligible. As I said, I'm no VW fan and I def don't want to emulate what he does (not that I could), but on the better quality vid it doesn't even sound controversial to my ears, just a modern bass guitar equivalent of something like a classical study piece.

Let's look at it from another angle.

Do you like the the string bashing? If so why?

Why do others find this smashing appealling?
Let's not get confused by the fact its Wooten, I couldn't care less if it was a child - have tuaght in the past.

I think majority of the bass "community" are rather narrow minded to be entertained by such stuff. IMO

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1326183546' post='1493299']
Let's look at it from another angle.

Do you like the the string bashing? If so why?

Why do others find this smashing appealling?
Let's not get confused by the fact its Wooten, I couldn't care less if it was a child - have tuaght in the past.

I think majority of the bass "community" are rather narrow minded to be entertained by such stuff. IMO
[/quote]

I don't know why your still trying to ask this question, is it not clear from the entire thread that some people agree with you, some don't and some simply couldn't give a toss.

Let it go.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1326187293' post='1493351']
I don't know why your still trying to ask this question[/quote]

Men of a certain age get a bee in their bonnet about things. For me, it's the price of cheese at Tesco.

It's gone up to £2.50 for 500g of 'medium' cheddar but you still see these idiots buying the stuff. Can't they see how [i]stupid[/i] they are?

PriceDrop my arse.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1326197043' post='1493534']
Men of a certain age get a bee in their bonnet about things. For me, it's the price of cheese at Tesco.

It's gone up to £2.50 for 500g of 'medium' cheddar but you still see these idiots buying the stuff. Can't they see how [i]stupid[/i] they are?

PriceDrop my arse.
[/quote]

You are Anthony Worrel Thompson and I claim my 5 pounds of stolen cheddar.

[size=5][b]CAN'T COOK, CAN'T CROOK [/b][/size]

[size=3][color=#696969]Midget chef in hot water[/color][/size]

Disgraced TV Chef 'Wozza' Thompson poured his heart out today in a heartfelt plea for understanding:

"I am so sorry for all my recent stupid and irresponsible actions. Buying that Victor Wooten DVD was an act of madness. I was watching it and he started thumping the strings. At that point I got so angry that I came over all giddy and had a black-out, like.

Next thing I knew, I was in Tesco's and this lump of cheese was talking to me. It said: "I'm so lonely. Don't leave me here on the shelf. Take me home with you. It's what Victor would want."

So I put the cheese in the bag and some bloke came up and asked me if I'd paid for it and I said "No. Victor Wooten made me do it."

I am, of course, devastated for my family and friends, whom I've let down, and will seek the treatment that is clearly needed. I shall never watch bass instructional videos again"

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1326198956' post='1493593']
[size=5][b]CAN'T COOK, CAN'T CROOK [/b][/size]

[size=3][color=#696969]Midget chef in hot water[/color][/size]

Disgraced TV Chef 'Wozza' Thompson poured his heart out today in a heartfelt plea for understanding:

"I am so sorry for all my recent stupid and irresponsible actions. Buying that Victor Wooten DVD was an act of madness. I was watching it and he started thumping the strings. At that point I got so angry that I came over all giddy and had a black-out, like.

Next thing I knew, I was in Tesco's and this lump of cheese was talking to me. It said: "I'm so lonely. Don't leave me here on the shelf. Take me home with you. It's what Victor would want."

So I put the cheese in the bag and some bloke came up and asked me if I'd paid for it and I said "No. Victor Wooten made me do it."

I am, of course, devastated for my family and friends, whom I've let down, and will seek the treatment that is clearly needed. I shall never watch bass instructional videos again"

[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]I have it on good authority, that after Wozza watched the Jeff Berlin instructional DVD, "Take My Breath Away"- (the art of asphyxiation with a plastic bag) he almost killed himself in the quest for Michael Hutchence style gratification.

Powerful stuff, these tutorials.

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1326402755' post='1496884']

'Nuff said...
[/quote]

Unless of course, you don't want to watch and listen to something that sounds like a cross between a Percussionist and a frustrated Flamenco Guitarist. Then, there's probably more to be said........

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1326494222' post='1498158']
Absolute bollocks.
[/quote]

That kind of attitude is the very reason why I don't air my views on some of the Sacred Cows more often. (Along with some other people I've spoken to off-line. Don't DARE to call any of the "Names" boring or too 'different' for your [b][i]personal [/i][/b]tastes, because you'll be hunted down, ridiculed and quite possibly, shot. ) :rolleyes: