Why become a member? ×

*edit*

dlloyd

DLloyd - great work fella - I'm sure loads of people will find this useful - I know most of this stuff but the term 'enharmonic' was definitely new to me - but I've encountered this way of writing both chords and notes - so it's great to have a refresher reference around for me too! By all means keep adding to this - anyone that is - and if some kindly mod can 'pin' it that would be great.

Nice one

Mike

[quote]I'm thinking that I might delete references to all of the augmented and diminished intervals except the fourths and fifths, and diminished seventh and augmented second and leave all the rest just as a post-script reminder that all major/minor intervals can also be augmented and diminished.[/quote]

I was going to suggest exactly that. It would still be understandable and would reduce the length.

You've done a really good job here dlloyd, particularly with the organisation. Knowing it is one thing, knowing how to present it such that it is possible for a relative theory newbie to learn is another, and I think you've managed to tackle that issue.

I wonder if there's any other threads we could create that could serve as useful tutorials?

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dlloyd' post='169272' date='Apr 3 2008, 04:51 PM'][size=2][b]Interval inversions[/b][/size]
1. The “quantity” of an interval and its inversion always add to nine:

[list]
[*]3 + 6 = 9
[*]2 + 7 = 9
[/list]

2. If the “quality” of an interval is major, its [b]interval[/b] is minor. If the “quality” of an interval is minor, its inversion is major[/quote]

Hey, great work on the theory posts, a great little refresher for me!!

I think I spotted a mistake, which I have marked in bold. Should it say inversion?

Again, great work - Really easy to read, and should help out beginners immensely. Good job.

Cheers,
James.

Edited by Higgie

Absolutely fantastic thread, and I am also surprised by how much of this that I know.

Can't help thinking that it would eventually be better posted in the wiki, allowing for a nice menu for those that don't want to read the whole thing from the beginning.

When I lived in t'North one of the teaching jobs I had was at The Arts Centre in Liverpool. I taught bass at all levels and introductory theory to the foundation classes. The material was accredited by EDExel the body responsible for ensuring that what is taught in that type of establishment is up to par.
So now I've qualified my opinion:
That guide you have written is publishable, not only does it cover all that needs to be known in grasping foundation theory(which in some ways is the most important stage, hence the title foundation) But further and in my view more importantly its readable, engaging and really easy to understand. The reason, IMO is that, it's really well written. Clarity in such things is a rare gift and you my friend have it in spades.
Brilliant thanks
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

I'll say this once again - this an invaluable, very well written thread for anyone and everyone (and great for BC Google search results too = more traffic) could a kindly fellow mod please 'pin' it - I think it's a great resource.

Thanks

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

This is excellent stuff. I'm looking forward to your section on compound time. Whilst I understand it myself, I've never been very successful at explaining it to anyone else - not using words anyhow!

+1 on the positive comments.

It's one thing to know all these facts. The tricky part- and I'm sure many of us who have taught will agree- is collating it, making it easy to understand and above all else, getting the chronology right.

Nice one.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='The Funk' post='291646' date='Sep 25 2008, 11:47 AM']Excellent. Looking forward to it.[/quote]

I'm specifically thinking of framing it in terms of the LCM popular music theory syllabus (which I've looked at a couple of times now and think is excellent), but aimed particularly at bass players.

I didn't see this thread back in April, for some reason - probably university. Looks pretty impressive so far!

If I were to make a suggestion, it would be for a "Lesson 0" that explains the very basics of harmony, starting with ratios of frequencies. What an octave is (2:1), why the major fifth is so important (3:2), why inversions work e.g. fifth (3:2) -> fourth (2:3 x2 = 4:3). On a guitar or bass it's easier to visualise the fundamentals of harmony, because it relates to the physical lengths of a vibrating string. The Cycle of Fifths has 12 steps, which led to various 12-tone scales, not all of which worked well, until the introduction of equal temperament.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...