Why become a member? ×

Furry Strings

Count Bassy

The strings on my Ibanez SR505, which are the ones fitted when I bought it (second hand), have gone furry! I assume that they were coated strings and that this is the coating dying and coming off. The strings also seem to have gone very dull sounding, with poor sustain, which I assume is related to this.

Is there anything I can do to make these playable again? Is there a way to get the remaining coating off and would this help anyway? Do I just need to fit new (non coated) strings?

The Count

New set of D'addario Nickel round wounds fitted and the instrument is transformed! Hard to be sure (its me age you know), but I think it sounds better than it ever has.

So what exactly is the point of coated strings then? Seems to me that you have an inherently tough string of stainless or nickel, and then decide to cover it with a thin layer of weak 'plastic'.
Is it meant to preserve the zing longer or something? (not a sound I like - hence the nickels)

The count.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1326133279' post='1492742']
So what exactly is the point of coated strings then? Seems to me that you have an inherently tough string of stainless or nickel, and then decide to cover it with a thin layer of weak 'plastic'.
Is it meant to preserve the zing longer or something? (not a sound I like - hence the nickels)
[/quote]

The idea is that the coating stops 'muck' getting in between the string windings and keeps them brighter longer.
I had a set on my 505 when I got it and carried on using them - they lasted ages compared to what I've been using since.
As for the coating peeling off, I've never had that - perhaps it depends how sweaty your fingers get when you're playing?

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1326136780' post='1492821']
Just remembered that I lent this to a pick player on a few occasions. Would that be why the coating had peeled off?
[/quote]

Could be.
I guess once part of the coating gets worn away then it'll allow the rest of it to peel.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1326136780' post='1492821']
Just remembered that I lent this to a pick player on a few occasions. Would that be why the coating had peeled off?
[/quote]Yes. That's what mine do. Still last a good six months+ before they go off, and that is gradual so it is often only when I think "these have been on a while I probably ought to change them" and a new set brightens things up.

Elixirs all the way for me. All coated strings are not the same. I tried a set of D'Addarios I picked up at the bass show last year and hated them. Sound wasn't great and they didn't seem to last long, mind that could be because I didn't like the sound so changed them back to Elixirs

I find Elixirs ok. I tend to mechanically kill the strings before the fluff and dandruff phase begins. My sweat kills non-coated strings quickly, but some last better than others. Coated strings don't sound at all good on phenolic boards IME.Conversely, the set on my Warwick Infinity sound great, a combination I'll stick with

[i]Apropos [/i]of nothing at all, if you search Google Images for "furry strings", and as a direct result of this topic, one of the first things to pop up is Count Bassy's avatar photo, followed fairly quickly by that for Deep Thought.

Presumably to be joined shortly by a Dancing Spiderman ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1326283082' post='1494829']
[i]Apropos [/i]of nothing at all, if you search Google Images for "furry strings", and as a direct result of this topic, one of the first things to pop up is Count Bassy's avatar photo, followed fairly quickly by that for Deep Thought.

Presumably to be joined shortly by a Dancing Spiderman ...
[/quote]

Fame at last!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1326264751' post='1494559']
I find Elixirs ok. I tend to mechanically kill the strings before the fluff and dandruff phase begins. My sweat kills non-coated strings quickly, but some last better than others. Coated strings don't sound at all good on phenolic boards IME.Conversely, the set on my Warwick Infinity sound great, a combination I'll stick with
[/quote]

You could always try playing in Black Silk!! :ph34r: Gloves of course as per the other thread on here! :lol: :lol: