Why become a member? ×

HELP PLEASE! Best small lightweight cab to go with an Ampeg SVT III Pro

nickhuge

Hi Guys

After a decade on guitar I'm now moving to bass. My rig will be a Pbass in to a sansamp / ampeg SVT III pro. I'll be getting a larger cab to do tours with but I really need one to rehearse with and do the london shows in the smaller clubs. The Sansamp should hopefully look after the sound going through the PA but I still need a cab on stage for the Ampeg to go through.

The thing is I have a beetle cabriolet which is the missus's and she is not best pleased about me loading dirty great cabs in there. I imagine I have room for a 2x10 or a 1 x 15 perhaps. Can anyone recommend which would be best for me and perhaps the best models... I don;t want to spend a fortune but I was thinking perhaps a Mark 2 x 10 traveller but I am so clueless with pairing bass heads to cabs I don;t know if this is any good. Please help!

Simple.... GK Neo212 4 Ohm cab, lightweight, gets the full 450 watts out of the SVT3, has a pronounced mid grunt that compliments the Ampeg sound, is compact and has the perfect balance between low end reponse and high sizzle..... and it is quite reasonably priced. Alternative would be 2 Neo 112 cabs at 8 Ohm, that would give you a small gig option as well (only take 1 cab).

Edited by HazBeen

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1325153413' post='1480215']
Simple.... GK Neo212 4 Ohm cab, lightweight, gets the full 450 watts out of the SVT3, has a pronounced mid grunt that compliments the Ampeg sound, is compact and has the perfect balance between low end reponse and high sizzle..... and it is quite reasonably priced. Alternative would be 2 Neo 112 cabs at 8 Ohm, that would give you a small gig option as well (only take 1 cab).
[/quote]

I think the Ampeg is a hard match-up so I start with someone who runs the cab/amp config

My fave trick to cut down weight is to go 2x210's...but this might be the more expensive way round.
IME, a good set of 210's paried slays 2x112 ..

I'd sell my 112's if they weren't so useful for the smaller gigs... but I certainly know the sound is missing something.
Tons of low...but I can afford to loose that, IMV.

Thanks guys. The 212 looks a little big as well hence why I like the look of the Mark traveller 2 x 10...
[url="http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=37"]http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=37[/url]

Excuse my cluelessness with impedence ratings etc, would this be ok running with the Ampeg? I could pair it with the 1 x 15 at some point perhaps

[size=4]I'd checkout the used AE210 on the Bass Direct site for a small gig cab. Then find another for your large gig rig. I'd also look at the Barefaced Compact in the BC for Sale section. Again, get a second for your big rig.[/size]

[size=4]Both, in my opinion, are better cabs than Markbass. [/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Hi Nick, in comparison to a Traveller the Compact is lighter, louder and has a better tone because it is a bigger, better designed cab with better quality components. IMO/IME[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1325160032' post='1480329']
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Hi Nick, in comparison to a Traveller the Compact is lighter, louder and has a better tone because it is a bigger, better designed cab with better quality components. IMO/IME[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

Agreed. I've owned both and the Compact is superior and better value for money. I'd also suggest the barefaced Midget if you want to go smaller but still be able to play fairly loud.

Frank.

[i]Hi Nick iv tried most cabs iv got ashdown peavey markbass custom sound ampeg and a workshop full of amps and cabs and must say i love the markbass 2x10 really light great bottom end and clear as a bell top end.I got the same problem as you and now use a little nissan micra for transport because i get 50+ a gallon and the markbass fits in great .go and try one and you always get a good price when you sell them on.Good luck with the cab.[/i]

[quote name='HADGE' timestamp='1325194704' post='1480907']
[i]Hi Nick iv tried most cabs iv got ashdown peavey markbass custom sound ampeg and a workshop full of amps and cabs and must say i love the markbass 2x10 really light great bottom end and clear as a bell top end.I got the same problem as you and now use a little nissan micra for transport because i get 50+ a gallon and the markbass fits in great .go and try one and you always get a good price when you sell them on.Good luck with the cab.[/i]
[/quote]

Cheers mate. I can get a Mark 2x10 for 340, a 1x15 for £325, or both for £600. Is that a good deal you think?

It does seem the Mark cab is 3kg lighter (15 against 18) and smaller too. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of quality in tone in order to get a lightweight small and affordable cab like the Mark (2nd hand is about half the price of the second hand AE210 on bassdirect). At the end of the day I'll be comnig from my sansamp bass driver in to the PA so it's only for stage volume anyway.

I see you can get a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm option. Excuse my dumbness here but which would I get for the SVT III pro? Does it depend on if I want to hook it up to another cab later on?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1325157060' post='1480287']
IME, a good set of 210's paried slays 2x112 ..
[/quote]

Ooof, even for an 'IME' that's a sweeping generalisation and to use the term 'slay'! I've owned and tried some very good 2x10 cabs and I've also owned and tried similarly good 1x12 cabs and I'd not be so confident in making that statement; there are 1x12 cabs available that are easily the equal of the 2x10 cabs.

[quote name='nickhuge' timestamp='1325238124' post='1481144']
I see you can get a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm option. Excuse my dumbness here but which would I get for the SVT III pro? Does it depend on if I want to hook it up to another cab later on?
[/quote]

The SVT III Pro is on full power at 4 ohms, so to get the full power into your cab you need a 4 ohm cab, but to have the option of a bigger rig and hooking up with another cab later on, you need an 8 ohm cab.

Something to look at here would be the dB rating of the cab itself. 350 watts at 8 ohms into a cab rated at 104dB will likely be louder than the 500 watts at 4 ohms into a cab rated at 99dB from the same amp.

A generalisation I know, but it`s dB that is the "real power".

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1325239510' post='1481159']
The SVT III Pro is on full power at 4 ohms, so to get the full power into your cab you need a 4 ohm cab, but to have the option of a bigger rig and hooking up with another cab later on, you need an 8 ohm cab.

Something to look at here would be the dB rating of the cab itself. 350 watts at 8 ohms into a cab rated at 104dB will likely be louder than the 500 watts at 4 ohms into a cab rated at 99dB from the same amp.

A generalisation I know, but it`s dB that is the "real power".
[/quote]

Agreed, I'd go for a more sensitive 8ohm cab every time as it gives you the option to add a 2nd cab when needed and you'd likely not hear any difference in output over the 4ohm cab... mind saying that, I've had cabs throw up strange anomalies but by and large I'd go with the rule Lozz has indicated.

[quote name='nickhuge' timestamp='1325240374' post='1481175']
No idea what you're talking about :-D
But thanks!
[/quote]

Among the many (and spurious) figures quoted by the manufacturers, you'll find a sensitivity rating; it could be anywhere from low mid 90s up to about 104+ and is generally expressed in db. However... as with any stats given you need to be careful as they can be quoted as 'continuous' 'broadband' 'peak' etc! A 104db sensitive cab will generally sound a bit louder than a 94 db cab and a 4ohm cab can 'generally' sound louder than an 8ohm cab (blimey this is hard working when you have to make so many caveats), so essentially a 4ohm high sensitivity cab will sound louder with the same given input (though obviously amps are equipped with a magic knob that can make them louder or quieter) than a 4ohm less sensitive cab. Which brings us back to the fact that a sensitive 8ohm cab can sound as loud (with the same given input... following :D ) as a less sensitive 4ohm cab! :blink: Phew! :lol:

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='nickhuge' timestamp='1325200630' post='1481000']
Cheers mate. I can get a Mark 2x10 for 340, a 1x15 for £325, or both for £600. Is that a good deal you think?
[/quote]That sounds good to me if i was you i would definately go for the mark bass you just mentioned both great cabs and you can always get your money back or even sell for more as they are always wanted on this forum . Good luck mate keep on rockin.

Edited by HADGE

In my opinion, there are no better cabs, both in build AND sound quality than the TC Electronic range. Owned by the same company who own Tannoy - so they should know a thing or to.

Very light too.

They are relatively expensive, but if you did say you wanted the best!

[url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/rs210.asp"]http://www.tcelectronic.com/rs210.asp[/url]

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/tc-electronic-rebelstack-210-bass-guitar-speaker-cabinet-rs210--61535"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/tc-electronic-rebelstack-210-bass-guitar-speaker-cabinet-rs210--61535[/url]

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1325238757' post='1481155']
Ooof, even for an 'IME' that's a sweeping generalisation and to use the term 'slay'! I've owned and tried some very good 2x10 cabs and I've also owned and tried similarly good 1x12 cabs and I'd not be so confident in making that statement; there are 1x12 cabs available that are easily the equal of the 2x10 cabs.
[/quote]

And I'll be trying to find them... but my 2x210's walk all over the 2x112's. I wouldn't use them singularly and I love the footprint of the 12's..and also need that at times...and the low end is better, or rather bigger, but that isn't something I need in the context of the band. And I wouldn't say the 2x210's are light in that area anyway..just the 12's are probably bordering on excessive.
Where the 10's score massivley is the precision and cut in the higher mids. The 12's don't have this clout..and I'll need to EQ it in..whereas the 10's don't need it..at all.

I'll continue to search for single 12's and use them paired and see if I can close the gap, but IMO, it is a BIG gap. Also, to get the kind of bite I want, the 12's can only compete when with a new set of strings..and then the sound is very pleasing..but I can't be doing with liveing up a pr of cabs with strings changes all the time

It isn't the low-end that is the problem it is the clarity and definition higher up and both have tweeters as well. .

The 2x210 is my fave config..and as close to the 410 sound I prefer without the weight. I consider 2x12 the compromise. One that can work, of course, but a compromise all the same,
Basically, I think if you tune the cab too low you suffer elsewhere.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1325245998' post='1481239']
And I'll be trying to find them... but my 2x210's walk all over the 2x112's. I wouldn't use them singularly and I love the footprint of the 12's..and also need that at times...and the low end is better, or rather bigger, but that isn't something I need in the context of the band. And I wouldn't say the 2x210's are light in that area anyway..just the 12's are probably bordering on excessive.
Where the 10's score massivley is the precision and cut in the higher mids. The 12's don't have this clout..and I'll need to EQ it in..whereas the 10's don't need it..at all.

I'll continue to search for single 12's and use them paired and see if I can close the gap, but IMO, it is a BIG gap. Also, to get the kind of bite I want, the 12's can only compete when with a new set of strings..and then the sound is very pleasing..but I can't be doing with liveing up a pr of cabs with strings changes all the time

It isn't the low-end that is the problem it is the clarity and definition higher up and both have tweeters as well. .

The 2x210 is my fave config..and as close to the 410 sound I prefer without the weight. I consider 2x12 the compromise. One that can work, of course, but a compromise all the same,
Basically, I think if you tune the cab too low you suffer elsewhere.
[/quote]

You seem to be making a sweeping generalisation about all 2x10s and all 1x12s! :huh:

If you are comparing one manufacturer's 2x10 v their own 1x12 there 'may' be a case but even then I'm not sure that rule can be applied.