Why become a member? ×

Scrunchies on your bass?

chilievans

I've been watching a few videos on youtube and I've noticed that some players have a scrunchie wrapped around the head of their bass. Why?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcSYVEqVyVc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcSYVEqVyVc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Bit unfair Ian! I have one on each of my 6ers. If I'm playing a song that does not use the open strings I use it to mute them all when playing up high. Certain notes creates frequencies that set the other strings ringing. In a wide neck 6, and having little hands, it's almost Impossible to thumb mute all the strings whilst playing up high so this keeps the silence silent so to speak.

No solo's. No showing off. And I don't think I'm a w***er. Am I? :(

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1324833830' post='1478035']
Never used them myself as I like using open strings. I guess I would do it if I was recording something in segments and there were parts without any!

Still, I once heard people refer to scrunches used in this fashion as 'fag rags' which made me chuckle :lol:
[/quote]

Last studio I was in, if you couldn't mute your unused strings, you found yourself with them duck-taped. This became known as "the tape of shame"! I didn't require the tape of shame myself (if only because I use all my strings) but our rhythm guitarist had a few inches of it to his name by the time we'd done :)

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1324831650' post='1478021']

Altered for accuracy ;)
[/quote]
That's a bit flippant and unfair One of my favourite bass players uses one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPer4MQEUo0

I guess she probably w*nks then? Hope so.

I believe it's used to stop unwanted string ringing when playing busy slap or lead style bass

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1324832639' post='1478028']
Bit unfair Ian! I have one on each of my 6ers. If I'm playing a song that does not use the open strings I use it to mute them all when playing up high. Certain notes creates frequencies that set the other strings ringing. In a wide neck 6, and having little hands, it's almost Impossible to thumb mute all the strings whilst playing up high so this keeps the silence silent so to speak.

No solo's. No showing off. And I don't think I'm a w***er. Am I? :(
[/quote]

I thought it a little 'off' as well. Stuart Clayton certainly isn't a w***er either. Always strikes me as a fairly grounded sort of guy. My drummer used to be in a band with Stuart and he's only ever said what a genuinely nice bloke he is.

For tapping it stops clank and strings ringing out, I do it (with a wrist band though mind you :lol: ) as my action is set a little too high for super quiet tap, as thats how i prefer it for everything else!

Was a pain though, last time i recorded stuff with a band had to do all the tapped stuff first so spent two days of tapping straight then brought the set-up back to usual!

On a gig you can't really do that (without being superman or The Flash! )