Why become a member? ×

A great random YouTube bassist... or known as Higgie.

bubinga5

Thanks a lot mrtcat, and cheers John - You're welcome to pop round any time. I seem to remember I still owe you a lesson after you took me to see Living Colour!

And Luke - The JV is seriously the best P Bass I've ever played. Got it off here for an absolute bargain!

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1325504333' post='1483630']
And Luke - The JV is seriously the best P Bass I've ever played. Got it off here for an absolute bargain!
[/quote]
I just love the neck. Not found much else that touches it. The slightly bigger radius on the edges of the body are good too- Looking at the entwhistle bass book collection thing the older pre 1962 or so P basses all looked like they had slightly bigger radius too.
Compared to the current AV '62ri..... I know what I would pick!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1325504619' post='1483637']
I just love the neck. Not found much else that touches it. The slightly bigger radius on the edges of the body are good too- Looking at the entwhistle bass book collection thing the older pre 1962 or so P basses all looked like they had slightly bigger radius too.
Compared to the current AV '62ri..... I know what I would pick!
[/quote]

Yeah, the neck on mine is really thin from front to back for a P Bass - None of that chunky "Baseball bat" neck that a lot of the older P's have. Even my dad's Squier JV's neck was different, so I don't know whether mine has been modified (It doesn't look to have been) but it's from Oct. 82 so within the first 6 months of production. What's the thickness on yours?

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1325513142' post='1483774']
That was just a pleasure to watch and listen to. :)
[/quote]

Thanks very much for taking the time to watch and listen - and glad that time spent was enjoyable for you! :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1325513761' post='1483789']
You mean his pants? Not yet.
[/quote]

LOL. Brilliant! :D

[quote name='pst62' timestamp='1325514382' post='1483799']
Absolutely wonderful!
[/quote]

Thanks very much! :)

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1325520023' post='1483893']
Watched both vids and kinda made my day.
Nice feel, very relaxed playing and great sound. So easy to listen to.

One and only issue i had was - you make it look so bloomin easy. :lol:

Thanks for posting.

Dave
[/quote]

Hi Dave

Thanks very much for your feedback - I'm glad my videos had such a positive effect on your day! I'm still amazed by the feedback I've received in this thread. I'm very flattered.

Happy New Year everyone.

James

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1325720992' post='1486795']
Yeah, the neck on mine is really thin from front to back for a P Bass - None of that chunky "Baseball bat" neck that a lot of the older P's have. Even my dad's Squier JV's neck was different, so I don't know whether mine has been modified (It doesn't look to have been) but it's from Oct. 82 so within the first 6 months of production. What's the thickness on yours?
[/quote]

Yeah nice and thin, having said that my 2002 or so Japanese '57ri p bass wasn't much chunkier. I got a shock when I tried out a american '57ri and found how chunky the necks are. I much prefer the wider flat shape.
Mine says Fender on the headstock too so deffinatly in the first 6 months of production. A `JV024xx serial. I think I got the date wrong in my sig. :) Has your one the alder body or the sen 'ash' body with the bigger graining?

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1325870607' post='1489195']
Yeah nice and thin, having said that my 2002 or so Japanese '57ri p bass wasn't much chunkier. I got a shock when I tried out a american '57ri and found how chunky the necks are. I much prefer the wider flat shape.
Mine says Fender on the headstock too so deffinatly in the first 6 months of production. A `JV024xx serial. I think I got the date wrong in my sig. :) Has your one the alder body or the sen 'ash' body with the bigger graining?
[/quote]

I see! I much prefer this neck to any other P Neck I've played anyway! Oooh, lucky bugger! Mine is a Squier by Fender, and is JV127xx. I really have no clue what body it is! I wouldn't say it was heavy, but it's not particularly light either, I reckon it could be one of the Ash ones. What is yours?

And thanks Krysh! :)

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1325871771' post='1489223']
I see! I much prefer this neck to any other P Neck I've played anyway! Oooh, lucky bugger! Mine is a Squier by Fender, and is JV127xx. I really have no clue what body it is! I wouldn't say it was heavy, but it's not particularly light either, I reckon it could be one of the Ash ones. What is yours?

And thanks Krysh! :)
[/quote]
thats stolen off 21frets.com but thats the sen ash
it's not real ash (ie northern hard ash or swamp ash) but some japanese tree called Sen. Pretty easy to tell if it is that though! the grain is pretty awesome. I had a cimar 1908ash jazz bass from 1975 that I did up for a friend and sold to him for about £130 which had a similar tone and weight, think was the same wood- man I wish I had never sold that one!

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1325739942' post='1486893']
Re: Rythym stick. I have found if i try to play the double 16ths i fall behind, but if i play an 8th instead, its much easier, and if i play it on top of the backing track it sounds 95% the same anyway.

Still trying though.
[/quote]

I find that if I don't try to play it at all I'm a nicer natured person. :)

[i]Even the wood used by SGC Nanyo has caused confusion, especially the ash bodies.

SEN is also known as hari-gari, or occasionally as nakora. Although it is often described as Japanese Ash, this is quite misleading since it is actually a member of the Ginseng family. (Betcha didn't know that, huh?)

The wood is similar to both American Elm and Ash in texture and appearance, and can be mistaken for Swamp Ash.

Sen is less dense (SG = 0.45) than either American Elm (SG = 0.50) or Ash (SG = 0.58). It is therefore significantly lighter but, of course, also weaker.[/i]

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/697-obscure-musical-backwaters/page__hl__nanyo

Hi Dannybuoy, firstly thanks for the compliment on my playing :)

The strings on the P-Bass when Sir Duke was recorded were DR Fat Beams (that were fairly dead) if memory serves correctly, the ones that were on for the Marvin Gaye video are D'Addario Prosteels. Both were recorded the exact same way:

I take a headphone splitter cable out of the iMac, sending one to the Speakers, and the other to the Aux in on my PJB Bass Buddy, which my bass and headphones are plugged into so I can hear the track and my bass. The speakers are left on so that when I record the video I can synchronise the Audio perfectly at the end.

The track is imported into Logic, and the Bass is recorded via the Line Out from the PJB into the Line In on a Lexicon Alpha Interface. I usually then add the stock Logic Bass Amp to the Bass Channel to boost the volume and make any adjustments to the EQ. I then bring the track volume down a touch to make the bass stand out a little. Then it's a Stereo bounce down to an .m4a which is then imported into iMovie and synched with the video that's been recording the whole time :)

Cheers