Why become a member? ×

About to pull the trigger on a Promethean, but need re-assurance. - UPDATE

Count Bassy

As per the title I'm very nearly ready to buy myself a small lightweight but pokey and sensibly priced combo (Christmas present from my wife), and the Promethean seems to fit the bill - On paper!

Therein lies the problem. In today's world of internet shopping you can't get to try this stuff, and £550 is an awful lot of money to spend on something you've not even tried. I've hardly seem any bad things said about them ( a few comments about hiss, and one about clipping), except when compared with gear that costs twice as much. I know that Thomann (seem to be the cheapest currently) will take stuff back if you're not happy, but I'm still feeling a bit uneasy about pressing the 'buy' button.

Anybody out there got words of reassurance for me, or even words of warning? I need to press the button soon if I'm to get it by Christmas.

Thanks,

The Count.

Edited by Count Bassy

You're not alone [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160627-ibanez-promethean-p5110/page__p__1455608__hl__promethean__fromsearch__1#entry1455608"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160627-ibanez-promethean-p5110/page__p__1455608__hl__promethean__fromsearch__1#entry1455608[/url]

Any amp manufacturer can suffer from faulty units, so it's only natural that the Promethean will be the same. Dont let the small users who have experience such issues put you off.

However, I've been using the Promethean since it was released, and I can categorically state that the amp is a phenomenal piece of kit. I've owner and used SWR, Markbass, Eden and Phil Jones Bass gear, and this is every bit as good. The amp is very well thought out, and offers features above and beyond most gear twice the price. The versatility of tone shaping with selectable EQ and vibe settings is fantastic, and the fact that the head is detachable to use with any cab is a simple no brainer. Combo to full stack head with the removal of four screws, brilliant!

You won't b disappointed. :)

I was fortunate enough to be loaned one earlier this year and I have to say it totally blew me away.
I'm not sure how on earth Ibanez managed it, after all they've never exactly been very big in the amplification world, but this little beastie is definately on my shopping list for next year. :)

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1323479895' post='1463912']
As per the title I'm very nearly ready to buy myself a small lightweight but pokey and sensibly priced combo (Christmas present from my wife), and the Promethean seems to fit the bill - On paper!

Therein lies the problem. In today's world of internet shopping you can't get to try this stuff, and £550 is an awful lot of money to spend on something you've not even tried. I've hardly seem any bad things said about them ( a few comments about hiss, and one about clipping), except when compared with gear that costs twice as much. I know that Thomann (seem to be the cheapest currently) will take stuff back if you're not happy, but I'm still feeling a bit uneasy about pressing the 'buy' button.

Anybody out there got words of reassurance for me, or even words of warning? I need to press the button soon if I'm to get it by Christmas.

Thanks,

The Count.
[/quote]

i have purchased gear off thomann and returned it and there was no problem with refund, but the buyer has to pay the return shipping cost. Personally i prefer to buy across the counter. but its not always possible

Hi Guys

I'm working for Headstock Distribution in the UK (though not on the guitar side) and can honestly say that if you have any issues with UK bought stock, they are a very friendly and efficient company for sorting issues out. Having spent a few weeks in the office there listening in on the phone calls, the team are on the case. Hope that is some reassurance..... PS I hear on the Grapevine there are more developments from Ibanez regarding this range of bass amps...... ;o)

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1323634645' post='1465310']
Hi Guys

I'm working for Headstock Distribution in the UK (though not on the guitar side) and can honestly say that if you have any issues with UK bought stock, they are a very friendly and efficient company for sorting issues out. Having spent a few weeks in the office there listening in on the phone calls, the team are on the case. Hope that is some reassurance...
[/quote]

Yeas that is reassuring - thanks.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1323634645' post='1465310']
.... PS I hear on the Grapevine there are more developments from Ibanez regarding this range of bass amps...... ;o)
[/quote]

Now you tell me !!! (Joking by the way). Would those developments include a 1 x12 version perchance?

The Count

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1323651195' post='1465532']
Yeas that is reassuring - thanks.

Now you tell me !!! (Joking by the way). Would those developments include a 1 x12 version perchance?

The Count
[/quote]

Don't know but I'm at the product meeting next week with the guys from Ibanez so I may find out then....

• 2 weeks later...

Ok had the meeting....

Look like they are going to expand the range considerably. Can't say exact models as not officially launched till NAMM at end of Jan.

The good news is that the prices are dropping on the product range. The not so good news is that the head RMS is also dropping... down to 300 watts.

I'll try and update a bit more after xmas

I've always wondered why people need the masses of power they seem to. I once played the Marquee in a full rock band with a 150W amp and only had it on 3; once we started I had to turn down! My 100W Marshall saw me through a few years of metal gigs competing with modded full Marshall stacks and I never got it much past half way, and that was with a loud drummer. Short of playing bloody big rooms or festivals I can't ever see needing more than 300W, even though I currently have a 500W head. I play pretty lightly too!

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1324658324' post='1476795']
I've always wondered why people need the masses of power they seem to. I once played the Marquee in a full rock band with a 150W amp and only had it on 3; once we started I had to turn down! My 100W Marshall saw me through a few years of metal gigs competing with modded full Marshall stacks and I never got it much past half way, and that was with a loud drummer. Short of playing bloody big rooms or festivals I can't ever see needing more than 300W, even though I currently have a 500W head. I play pretty lightly too!
[/quote]

I think your experience illustrates the point made in another thread that using manufacturer quoted wattage as a comparative benchmark really doesn't work. :)

So does this men that the existing head is actually only 300 Watts, and in the 5110 combo it's only putting out 150 Watts?
If so that would go some way to explaining why I was a bit disappointed with the volume I got from mine, although my main complaint was the horrible clicking noise it made when the volume was turned beyond 1/3, and the fact that it wasn't that loud at that point.

Alternatively I guess that may have realised that the speaker in the combo can't take 250 watts without making the above mentioned clicking, or of course it could be that they are using a different power module so that they can drop the price.

For anyone who was following my other thread on this, mine has now gone back to 'Rockem Music' to go back to the distributor for assessment /fixing. I should hear something in the New Year. I've told Rockem that if it is faulty and it comes back fixed then I'll be happy, but if it's not faulty and this is just how it is then I'll be wanting my money back (and I'll pay the return courier).

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1324663708' post='1476883']
So does this men that the existing head is actually only 300 Watts, and in the 5110 combo it's only putting out 150 Watts?

If so that would go some way to explaining why I was a bit disappointed with the volume I got from mine, although my main complaint was the horrible clicking noise it made when the volume was turned beyond 1/3, and the fact that it wasn't that loud at that point.

Alternatively I guess that may have realised that the speaker in the combo can't take 250 watts without making the above mentioned clicking, or of course it could be that they are using a different power module so that they can drop the price.

For anyone who was following my other thread on this, mine has now gone back to 'Rockem Music' to go back to the distributor for assessment /fixing. I should hear something in the New Year. I've told Rockem that if it is faulty and it comes back fixed then I'll be happy, but if it's not faulty and this is just how it is then I'll be wanting my money back (and I'll pay the return courier).
[/quote]

My previous comment was just guesswork.. the Promethean is definitely as loud as other heads I've used. I've had no headroom issues.

As for the combo... I have a feeling yours has an issue. Mine doesn't do what yours does... it gets very. very loud without throwing the towel in.

But, as I mentioned on your other thread, having the gain and volume on mine set to how yours was is results in a VERY loud output, exceeding what I would expect from a small 1x10. Anything louder than that, and I'd be looking at an extension cab.

Were you able to try your head with another cab?

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1324663708' post='1476883']

[/quote]

I would suggest asking for a brand new unit. I always steer clear of having 'repairs' on brand new gear. I always ask for another or money back. You are well within your rights to ask for a new one, or a full refund including any postage price you paid, because the item is faulty, (which is NOTHING to do with you, its the manufacturer, so you shouldn't pay a penny).

My guess with the new wattage is that the 250W or whatever the amp currently is at 8ohms is too much for the size of the box and spec of speaker. You get what you pay for, and the fact the combo is £500 ish can't really mean a high end 10" speaker. If it does, well done to them!

I don't personally think its anything to do with being 'honest'. 250W through a 1x10 won't sound much different to 100W really; the speaker is too small to push that much in that tiny box. I think they either decided the 500W was too much for that combo, or they wanted to save some money.

Who knows, the may have made it 300W at 8 ohms and bumped it upto a 1x12.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1324680371' post='1477083']My guess with the new wattage is that the 250W or whatever the amp currently is at 8ohms is too much for the size of the box and spec of speaker. You get what you pay for, and the fact the combo is £500 ish can't really mean a high end 10" speaker. If it does, well done to them![/quote]

I don't know who manufactures the driver, but it's the real deal. The headroom comes from the box size, not the speaker.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1324664435' post='1476897']
Were you able to try your head with another cab?
[/quote]

Yes, I tried through my old Musicman Audiophile HD212 (8 ohm, 600W, 2 x12" + 6"), and it sounded pretty sh*tty and distorted (This cab normally sound beautiful with my DBS 7400). To be honest. it was probably that test that made my mind up that it had to go back.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1324756946' post='1477689']
Yes, I tried through my old Musicman Audiophile HD212 (8 ohm, 600W, 2 x12" + 6"), and it sounded pretty sh*tty and distorted (This cab normally sound beautiful with my DBS 7400). To be honest. it was probably that test that made my mind up that it had to go back.
[/quote]

Oh heck yes, it's broken...

It does sound like the problem I had where something had gone awry on the business end of the jack input...